seleco svp420hb problem

JOHN11

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, my 420 has developed a problem. while watching a film the red tube developed a fault. when you look into the red tube the picture is distorted but it is fine in the green and blue tubes. there is also, what i can only describe as pulsing coming from the red tube which after a while starts to affect the other two tubes. when i opened the case i found the item pictured which has the following code on it. mpc 60.0134.000 and pc 318.b if anyone knows where this board comes from it would be much appreciated and may solve the red tubes problem.

this projector was beautifully set up by the famous Chris Frost and i'd love to get it back up and running.

regards

john

Attachments

• HPIM0127.jpg
    HPIM0127.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 68
Yes, I missed that, well done :rotfl:.

................BUT,

If you want some help a little pic of the card will help :thumbsup:.

Otherwise an equally hilarious pictoral response might find its way here, and Chris Frost is one of the best for pictures ;).

I did look the part number up in the Seleco FAQ thread but can't find it.

Yes, I missed that, well done :rotfl:.

................BUT,

If you want some help a little pic of the card will help :thumbsup:.
The card is the little yellow coloured thing on the wallet,i will take another pic and post soon:thumbsup:

This is a better pic of the card that was inside the lid of the PJ.

Any help or info would be much appreciated:)

Attachments

• HPIM0142.jpg
    HPIM0142.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 62
A wierd one.......

Is there anything on the other side?

looks like a small part of a card, maybe even there from a previous repair.......

REMOVE power to the PJ, leave it 5 minutes of more

There are a number of cards within the Selecos that often need to be reseated

I have looked through my box of spare cards and that part does not match any of them.

It is the right style of PCB/Part number so im 100% sure is from a Seleco PJ, Of course can't be 100% sure its from yours, could have been dropped in there at build or maybe repair in its life.

Andy.

A wierd one.......

Is there anything on the other side?

looks like a small part of a card, maybe even there from a previous repair.......

REMOVE power to the PJ, leave it 5 minutes of more

There are a number of cards within the Selecos that often need to be reseated

I have looked through my box of spare cards and that part does not match any of them.

It is the right style of PCB/Part number so im 100% sure is from a Seleco PJ, Of course can't be 100% sure its from yours, could have been dropped in there at build or maybe repair in its life.

Andy.
Thanks for the reply.:smashin:

No there is nothing on the other side not even the metal contact,
it looks like it slides into something as it has contact marks.

I will remove the cards and have a good look round the pj in the next day or two and report back.

John11 and I spoke on the phone a few nights ago describing the fault and this mysterious PCB. Then he sent me the fuzzy picture which was bugger all help ;) but he got 10/10 and a gold star for effort :rotfl:

I have a 400. I looked through it this weekend for something similar but no luck so far. There is a chance that this is a service board of some kind, and there is a person I can contact next week who might recognise it. At the moment though it is a bit of a mystery :confused:

Yes Chris is being a top bloke as usual:smashin:

Thanks for the 10/10 for effort, think i`ll show it to the boss and ask for a pay rise:rotfl:

Can`t look at the cards tonight, have to go to a five year olds party:rolleyes:

Checked the cards and all looks OK.

I then decided to swap over the neck card from green tube onto the red and it worked :thumbsup: so i guess its the neck card.

Do i need a new neck card or can the one i have be fixed?

Are they hard to replace?

Hi John11,
Well done on your trouble shooting :thumbsup:

The neck cards can be replaced but it's going to involve some desoldering and also digging through the wiring loom to release the cables. You've then got find a replacement neck card which might not be an easy task. It's going to be much simpler to repair the card in situ as there aren't that many parts on it.

Your first task is a visual check for dry joints, duff capacitors and scorched resistors. The silver tops of the two black caps should be flat and have a cross indented in to the surface. If they look like they've ballooned then replace them.

If you still have a problem then it's time to try and isolate where the faulty component is. Freezer spray is your friend. Be careful though and don't go mad. Use the extension nozzle and direct a very small blast just on to one individual component at a time. Start with the transistors. They're the most likely culprits. Then work your way through the rest of the board, not forgetting the rear which has some surface mount components. :)

I hadn't heard back on email from my guys regarding that mystery board, so I rang them this morning. The part isn't covered in their manuals and they'd never seen one efore either, so it looks like it is an alignment board used in the manufacturing process that got left in by mistake. Treasure it; you have something very rare ;)

:D

Let us know how you get on.

Best regards

I have one set of spare neck cards for a Seleco left R,G & B.

Part number

PC 151.0

These appear to unplug with all cables on the card on connectors that can be removed.

Not sure which Seleco these are from.

I am sure they are from the SVP range (Not early SVT)

Andy.

Hi Chris thanks for the info:thumbsup: PM me your address and i`ll post you the little card for your collection:smashin:

Andy as Chris says the number on my neck card is 251.0 60.3811.100 but thanks so much for your interest and help:clap:

I have been offered one of these cards for £55 inc postage(have to confirm card number)what do you think?Or should i(read brother in-law)try to fix my one?

John11,
I'm thrilled at your generous offer, but I'd feel terrible if I were to deprive you of such a valuable family heirloom ;) :rotfl:

Back to the topic in hand, if I was you I'd have a go at fixing the card first before splashing out on a replacement. Most of the parts (or equivalents) are available and there's not much on the card to change. The thing is, you could buy the replacement card and still find you have a problem.

Regards

OK you have talked me into it.The only thing i`m afraid of is the surface mount components as i have heard they can float away and are hard to replace:eek: Have you any tips if one of these little fellas need changing:rolleyes:

After following Chris`s advice my brother in law found that one of the resistors was open circuit,the resistor in question was R115.I replaced this resistor with 3 other resistors to make up the 18K ohms 2watt(couldn't wait to see if this was the problem:D)and it work:thumbsup:.

The only problem now is the convergence is slightly off which may be due to the 3 for 1 deal or my soldering skills:eek:

Thanks to Chris for all your help your a top bloke:smashin:

This is just getting silly now!

The blue tube has went the same way as the red:eek:

I have carried out the same repair and its working again.

Unfortunately the PJ is now suffering lots of convergence drift, meaning you only get a stable setting after about two hours or so.Could this be a power supply problem?:rolleyes:

Think i`ll get one of those small LCD PJ as this is doing my head in:rolleyes:

Think i`ll get one of those small LCD PJ as this is doing my head in:rolleyes:

Talk like that won't get you any help :eek:.

You appear to be fixing the results but not the cause.
Sometimes this works fine but often not.

For the price so far of a few resistors I would keep trying...........

What did you use and how did you use them to get 18ohm 2watt ???

Just checking here, as this could be the cause of your drifting..........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom