1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco svp400ht image shadow problems.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stubied, Sep 30, 2004.

1. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, having been an avid reader of the avs forum for a few months I was delighted when I came across this forum as there seems to be more seleco posts.
    Anyhow, my projector problem is as follows:-
    When there is a light area on a dark background, there seems to be a shadow an inch or so to the right of the light source that fades back to black.
    Having scoured previous posts I'm still unsure if this is 'ghosting' or 'streaking'. What I don't understand is how the area immediately to the right of the light source is black but then the lighter area appears after an inch or so? This goes against what I understand to be 'streaking' which stretches from the light source across to the edge of screen.
    I have attached a couple of photos to hopefully aid in diagnosis. The first is from 'The Iron Giant' and is taken directly from the red tube face. The light shadows can be seen to the right of the robots eyes and to the right of the pause sign. There is slight flaring at the pause button due to a smudge on my camera, the image is fine(Honest :) ).
    The second is from 'The Core' and shows the moon with the shadow down the right edge of the image. This one is taken directly from the screen but I had to ramp up gamma in photoshop to see the problem on the photo.
    What isnt obvious from the picture is that the shadow fades back to black before the edge of the screen.
    Any help would be most appreciated,
    Stuart.

Almost forgot, the projector is a seleco svp 400HT fed from a xoro hsd400 pro dvd player through RGBHV.All other inputs show the same image problems.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If this was an even halo all round the bright image with no black gap I'd have said to check that the Adaptive Black feature turned on. It is designed to enhance the step from high to low brightness areas and reduce the halo effect.

My other thought would be to check and clean the tube faces and the backs of the lenses. A standard 400HT is anything from 5-8 years old by now. A bit of TLC could be what it needs.

Regards

3. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, I was looking for things to try when I take the projector off the ceiling in the next week or so.
    I purchased it about 5 months ago off E-bay (Its a 98 version with upconvertor.) and have ironed out most problems. The blue tube had bad 'fungus', so bad in fact that the cross hatch pattern only showed around the outer perimeter of the screen :eek:
    I've been meaning to clean the green and red lenses and tube faces for a while as there is a lot of dust on the them, I just wanted to make sure my repair on the blue tube was OK first.
    Thanks for a previous post about the convergence board fan. I thought that all the fans were needing replaced due to the noise. Hard to believe it was all from that wee unit. :thumbsup:
    Any other tips and tricks or important checks that I can do when the projectors on the floor would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Stuart.