Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Seleco SVP350 - Any way of getting progressive scan into it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TheFatBoy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having a move around in my lounge - involving rewiring and building a new stand and a few other things.

Whilst I'm at it, I thought I might get rid of my SVHS and LD players as I never use them and maybe get shot of my DVD recorder as I only ever use it as a player... This got me thinking of building a HTPC and hiding it behind a partition - thinking I'd get the added benefit of a better PQ.

But, my Seleco SVP350 won't do progressive scan, so I don't think I'd really get any benefit from using an HTPC (I already have Sky+).

Is there any way of modding my 350 to take a progressive scan signal, or is there an external box of magic? CRT PJs aren't selling particularly well and selling it won't make me enough cash to go towards an upgrade so I'm pretty much stuck with it for now...

Any ideas?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The circuits just won't accept anything higher than a standard video rate signal - so prog scan is out I'm afraid.

You could still use the HTPC as the central hub as long as you can get a standard video rate signal out of your graphics card. There was a thread on here a week or so ago on that very topic.

Regards

3. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :(

I thought that might be the case somehow... Thanks for the answer though!

Is there any point to using an HTPC over a DVD player with the 350? I guess it's not really going to improve the picture?

How much do you think my 350's worth now? It's been a 18 months or so since you set it up for me, and I've used it a fair amount - I'd guess it's probably got around 4 - 5000 hours on it now (assuming IIRC what it had done originally!)...

What's a good upgrade that won't cost the earth? Is there a CRT in the Seleco range that will take prog scan and is roughly the same overall size as the 350?

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Prog scan is the biggest benefit of a HTPC of course, but there are others who store the DVDs to harddisc and use the PC as a file server for movies, and there's always the PVR angle too. I suppose it really depends what you are using the HTPC for.

Value of 350s varies quite a bit. Have a look on Ebay for some guidance. Bear in mind that there are a lot of tatty ex-pub 350s knocking about cheap so yours should fetch a little more. Another positive note is that higher performance CRTs have dropped in price too.

Any 400 series or a 500 Seleco will accept a PC input at the equivalent of line doubled resolution. They're exactly the same size as a 350 and also use the same bracket and have the same throw distance so a projector swap is really easy.

For higher resolutions such as 768p and above you need to step up a gear to something along the lines of a Barco 808, Sony D50* or perhaps a NEC. Treat manufacturers specs with caution - they only tell you maximum resolution and not the sweet spot. Get some guiidance from other users here as to which projectors look good at which resolutions.

Regards

Chris

* IMO D50s are a bit. The sweet spot is around 800 x 600 or possibly 1024x768 but no higher.

5. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest, I was just thinking of going HTPC for the picture quality - I can't see myself using it as a fileserver (maybe for MP3s, not film though) and I have Sky+ so won't use it as a PVR either...

Looking on eBay, the only 350 that sold recently went for £155! :(

I think mine's in better condition than that and that I could do a better job of selling it, but I wouldn't expect much over £250 judging by that result. By contrast, the only Barco 808 that's sold recently went for £700! Perhaps I should just get you in to recalibrate the 350 again Chris!