1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seleco svp 400plus and progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brian aitken, Apr 13, 2005.

1. brian aitken

brian aitken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,i am using a pioneer dv-757ai multi region dvd player with my seleco using the component jacks. my question is how do i get the seleco to accept a progressive scan image. i would be gratefull for any info. thanks brian.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    press AV/O to display the input list and look for YCrCb 32 KHz. If it is there then your 400plus has the input for progressive component from the DVD player.

Regards

Attached Files:

3. brian aitken

brian aitken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, thanks for the very speedy response chris. yes it does have that input but the image is all green. thanks again brian.

4. brian aitken

brian aitken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, just rechecked that chris. but only has up to 8 bnc. thanks brian.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    OK, no progressive component input, but all is not lost. There was a mod available to add prog scan to 400s. Cost was approx £400 from memory, though it also required the machine to go back to Owl too, so it ended up quite expensive and a lot of hassle.

The other option is to stick with interlaced output from the Pioneer and add an external line doubler. The processing is much better than Seleco's own line doubler. It will improving picture quality from other sources such as satellite, games consoles and Laser Disc or VHS if you still use it.

An iScan Pro is ideal for this. Put it next to or on top of the 400 and hook it into the 5xBNC input using a short 15pin to 5xBNC cable. iScans have three inputs (componnent, S-Video, composite) and they have an auto detect & priority switching so there is no need to worry about controlling the source selection. Secondhand iScan Pros sell for about £150 to £180, sometimes less.

Regards

6. brian aitken

brian aitken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that chris.contacted owl who said sim2 does seleco now and sim2 uk says that the progressive input board is no longer available.so i will go with the iscan route.they also do a model called iscan ultra which has a passthrough function for progressive scan dvd players.so will i be right if i said that i connect dvd player to iscan ultra using component to 15 pin then from iscan ultra to seleco using 15 pin to 5 bncs.so thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction. brian.

7. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    A trader on the classifieds board has an Ultra available for £215 inc.

That written, I've got a vanilla Pro doing nothing but gathering dust. It really could be put to better use serving a Seleco 400... ;)

HTH

Andy

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The pass-through feature does exactly what it says on the tin. What goes in to the Ultra comes out unchanged.

If your projector doesn't accept progressive component already then passing it through the Ultra won't change a thing - you'll still get green pictures because you're trying to stuff a prog' component signal into a RGB 32KHz input.

Having said that, the Ultra that AndyFov pointed to would be a good buy to go with your 400. This step-up model from the Pro has Aspect Ratio Control. That's a very nice feature to have, especially if your projection screen is 16:9

ARC means that you leave your projector in W (widescreen) mode and let the Ultra control the picture shape. You get a boost in aparent resolution with any Letterbox transfers in your collection.

Regards

9. brian aitken

brian aitken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the link andyfov but i think i am to late for that now.and seeing as i do have a 16/9 screen i am still going for an iscan ultra due to the feature chris pointed out as well.i am going to stick with my 400 for now.i plan to stick with crt projectors as long as i can as they have no competition in my view.so thanks once again chris for your help and i know where to come for advice. brian.