1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVP-400 keeps cutting out

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BenC, Sep 30, 2003.

1. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a three year old Seleco SVP-400 (bought second hand from Popeye) which has around 1000 hours on the tubes. The projector's been fine until around a month ago, and the problem's getting worse...

It tends to happen like this:

I turn on the proj, around 1-10 mins later the picture disappears, and I hear the electric screen jerk upwards for a fraction of a second. The green power light on the proj stays on though... If I turn the proj off and on (from the remote) it is sometimes OK, or sometimes goes off again. Sometime I get this when it goes off:
    (See attachment)

It tends to help if I turn the proj off and an at the mains, though sometimes it still fails.

Anyone got any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Check the boards have not worked loose inside.
    Reseat them all to make the contacts better too.

3. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers Roland I'll give that a try.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The picture didn't show the first time I responded.
    Are you saying the projector is producing those letters etc or is that a source.

5. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to hear your having problems with the Seleco. Roland may be corect in his theory that one of the boards may has come loose. Seleco's are a modular design and can be prone to board connections becoming loose when being moved or even from a rattle of a rubbling subwoofer.
    Check all the connections to see that they are all firmly in place.
    Failing that I would contact the Owl video service centre and speak to one of thier engineers who may be able to assist.

Hope your well and get the problem soughted out soon. I can't beleive it's almost a year sine you visited Leeds to buy the projector. How time flys!

Regards

popeye

6. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Popeye - I'm well thanks. How's your replacement Seleco going?? Fingers crossed on the loose board idea, I really hope that sorts it.

Roland - The screenshot I have posted is not the source, it is what the proj displays when it fails. I think it contains different symbols each time it fails, although somtimes there is no output at all (ie. black screen).

7. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new projectors been up and running now for around 6-7 months and thanks to Chris Frost I'm very pleased with the results.

Regards

popeye

8. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the advice gents. I've pushed each board firmly into the main board. So far three hours without it cutting out...

9. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well so much for the optimism. It cut out again. Doh!

Chris Frost - Would you be able to fix something like this??

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I haven't seen Chris in here for a while. may be worth an Email

For a projector to produce those sorts of characters would tend to point me towards the contoller board and a bad chipset.

I think Owl need a call now.

11. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are three boards which could be the culprit, the first is on the main deflection board which is underneath the blue tube. look for the small board that has a row of red led's that is plugged into the main deflection board. Unplug it completely then make sure it is pushed home all the way. Sometimes excessive sub-bass can cause this board to work loose.

The other two are plugged into the power supply located underneath the lenses. Once again these are small boards plugged into the main PSU. remove the front casing which will give you access to the cover of the PSU.

Of course please ensure that the unit is completely disconnected from the mains before attempting any of the above. If the unit still randomly shuts down then it may need to have a trip into the workshop.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK LTD

12. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Alan - Thanks for your comments. The projector's been behaving itself (on and off) for the past few weeks so I didn't feel the need to check the three boards you mentioned.

Tonight however the projector cut out completely, and the two power LEDs on the rear of the unit went out altogether.... not good. I've checked the fuse in the power cable and the fuse by the power switch - all OK.

I've removed the lenses and taken the pj off the ceiling. I've checked the three boards you mentioned - but they're all soldered directly to the boards they're connected to. I assume this was a common source of problems for Seleco and this was their solution. It certainly minimises the possibilty of a loose connection for me

I've checked that the PSU is seeing 230V at it's input (with extreme care of course...) and it is, but none of the small LEDs on the PSU are lit, so am I correct in assuming the problem is with the PSU? Is this a common fault? I guess it's possible another component could have failed which has blown something in the PSU...

Any ideas?