1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seleco svp 400 ht

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ros51, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I am currently connecting the seleco to a non-progressive pioneer 656a dvd player using s-video. The seleco has an internal line doubler which is always activated. I wonder if anybody has advice for getting more out of the projector? Should I connect to the projector using its RGBHV BNC inputs? I assume that I need to replace my dvd player if I do this as it only has RGB component ouputs....is this correct? Would a scaler offer any improvement, and if so which should I be considering?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi ros51, hooking up with either RGB (SCART) or Component will make a small improvement in picture quality over S-video. The biggest improvement will come if you stop using the internal line doubler and use an external doubler instead.

Line Doubler technology has got much better and much cheaper since the Seleco line doubler was designed. The DVDO iScan Pro is a brilliant match for your 400. It's easy to add, simple to use, and you should notice that the picture is much sharper. I would recommend as a better option than changing your DVD player to one with progressive. The reason is that the doubler will work its magic with all your sources not just DVD.

Used iScan Pros fetch between £150 and £175. If your projector is ceiling mounted using the Seleco bracket then there's room to mount this little box on top of the projector. It's only about the size of two DVD cases stacked. To complete the install you'll need a short VGA to 5 BNC cable (£10 - £15) and a double mains adapter or some other way of connecting mains.

The iScan will accept S-video, component and composite - so if you have some of those connections running to the projector then they'll just transfer across. You don't need to worry about switching off the Seleco doubler - just select the VGA input and the signal bypasses it.

Regards

3. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for the advice. What are your thoughts on going for the lumagen dvi plus isf calibration? I think this would be a much more expensive option! Is it worth the extra though (probably costing about £1000)? Do you know if isf calibration is a 'one off' job or does it need to be repeated every couple of years like convergence? Should I go for calibration at least even if I don't buy the scaler? What about isf calibration plus the iscan? Questions, questions....! I am interested in your much cheaper suggestion however.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Gordon Fraser is your man for ISF calibration. http://www.avforums.com/adverts/advertiserlist.php?advertiserid=23

As I understand it, with ISF you are calibrating the system as a whole - source, scaler, projector and screen - if one element changes then the final result may alter too. Don't go for calibration if you plan to add or swap equipment soon after.

Regards

5. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Chris. I have an active thread in the scalers area and the advice there seems to be that the iscan pro may not offer a significant improvement. There is a strong feeling for the lumagen dvi plus calibration. Does this sound like the best way to go ultimately or would you stick by the iscan pro.....the iscan hd has been suggested as an alternative to the lumagen by the way. I have also tried to find out a little bit more about the possibility of calibration alone...many thanks for indicating that it might be better to calibrate once the scaler has been bought. One last question, would you go along with connecting dvd - scaler via s-video then scaler - seleco via dvi with a vga adapter? I have had this suggested. Many thanks for the help. Ian

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I wish to highlight some of the points in post #2. this has a lot of info which might be missed if only read once.

Hi ros51, hooking up with either RGB (SCART) or Component will make a small improvement in picture quality over S-video. The biggest improvement will come if you stop using the internal line doubler and use an external doubler instead.
    Both above points 100% correct and VERY well worth doing, I would suggest a component out DVD player and not a svhs output type if you can.

Line Doubler technology has got much better and much cheaper since the Seleco line doubler was designed. The DVDO iScan Pro is a brilliant match for your 400. It's easy to add, simple to use, and you should notice that the picture is much sharper. I would recommend as a better option than changing your DVD player to one with progressive. The reason is that the doubler will work its magic with all your sources not just DVD.
    VERY simple, and in my opinion BETTER by far than the newer versions - ONE thing it offers is priority input so you dont need to change between inputs, MUCH better than its newer versions
    Used iScan Pros fetch between £150 and £175. If your projector is ceiling mounted using the Seleco bracket then there's room to mount this little box on top of the projector. It's only about the size of two DVD cases stacked. To complete the install you'll need a short VGA to 5 BNC cable (£10 - £15) and a double mains adapter or some other way of connecting mains.

The iScan will accept S-video, component and composite - so if you have some of those connections running to the projector then they'll just transfer across. You don't need to worry about switching off the Seleco doubler - just select the VGA input and the signal bypasses it.
    THIS is an excellent point and one easily missed - this also means you could consider a HTPC wont need a new dvd player or an iscan.........

OTHER POINTS

the 400 has non colour corrected lenses so I think calibration might be a slight waste - always worth doing but end result might not be value for money.

What lenses do you have? consider an upgrade of the lenses that would also be a great improvement......

PM me for a chat about that if you want.

I take no credit for post #2 but it is good to read a well written factual post.

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    MadMrH, thank you very much for the compliment. :D

Ian, I've had good results with iScan Pros on 400s. Play The Fifth Element and look at the Archeologist's hair and beard, can you see every strand? Watch Leeloo standing on the ledge - can you see the texture of her skin or make out the detail of the traffic below when she jumps? Does the gravel in the arena scenes from Gladiator look like individual stones? An iScan digs out those details. The difference between that and the Seleco doubler is night and day. That's not to say an iScan can't be beaten, but in value for money terms IMO there's no better way to spend £150 to improve a Seleco 400 picture. Next choice would be the lens upgrade as suggested by MadMrH, after that then a true scaler.

I like the Lumagen too. It's a very clever piece of kit and well supported by the UK distributor. Compared to a new iScan (£400-ish) then the Lumagen is a no brainer. It's a great long term choice if you think that you might upgrade the CRT in the future. The other benefit of a scaler is with letterbox films. These are the ones that are not 'widescreen enhanced' and tend to be the older DVD titles, laser discs and VHS. I have titles such as R1 Armaggedon, R1 Top Gun and a few others that fall in to this category.

To get people to look the correct shape with these Letterbox films you'd run your projector using the Normal aspect ratio. The picture looks OK but there's much more line structure than with an enhanced title. A scaler can help compensate for this. The feature is called Aspect Ratio Control. The iScan Pro doesn't have it, but scalers like the Lumagen do.

Regards

8. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks hugely for the post....really well put together and helpful! Excuse my ignorance but what is an HTPC? I think it is now coming down to a choice between the iscan pro and the lumagen plus calibration. I guess I'll literally 'get what I pay for' when choosing, but it sounds like I'll benefit from noticeable improvements either way. Is the iscan ultra to be avoided? I have read some negative comments about it. Any further comments from anybody would be appreciated. I am very appreciative of all the help I've received already. Gordon from convergent av has been a star in particular!!

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    HTPC - Home Theatre PC - a computer built from the ground up just to play movies. Lots of flexibility but can be difficult to set up and operate.

DVDO iScan Pro http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isp.php Small, simple, low cost but very effective.

DVDO iScan Ultra http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isu.php An update of the iScan Pro concept. Output resolution the same (480Progressive a.k.a. Line Doubled). More inputs, Aspect Ratio Control and a PassThru feature for hi-definition sources and remote control. £200 - £250 s/h. A very good product in its own right but unless you need the extra features save your money and buy a scaler instead.

iScan HD http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.php A true scaler with digital inputs and outputs. A Lumagen is better value.

Regards

10. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Well. I went for the lumagen dvi with isf calibration in the end and wow! It has brought a whole new lease of life to the seleco 400. Smooth panning, better colours and clarity. The image has an almost 3D quality to it. We're really delighted and would recommend the upgrade. Gordon Fraser of Convergent AV is an absolute star and completed an excellent job for us. I cannot recommend him enough. First class knowledge and first class service. Cheers Gordon!!