1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVP-400 CRT Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ShinObiWAN, Nov 11, 2003.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3057110498&category=22610&rd=1

I was wondering whether its worth buying an old CRT projector like this.

I understand that CRT projectors are superior to LCD and DPL but this is a 1998 model and therefor would possible have a great deal of wear and usage? It also only has a brightness of 140 ANSI lumens which seems extremely low.

I've only ever seen 2 home projectors in action, neither was CRT. One was a Sim HT200 and the other an Panasonic PT-100AE. The Sim was very good and the Panasonic was impressive for the price. But how does a CRT picture differ?

I've already gone ahead and bought an NEC VT45 which I'm now waiting for but would consider this if its all that everyone makes CRT out to be.

I also will be using the projector quite often for PC gaming and I've heard that LCD and DPL models are the best in this area, true or not?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I briefly had a 400ht which i had unfortunately had to sell on since no one was sensible enough to make a reasonable offer on my sanyo plv30..... n question that the half calibrated 400HT was miles ahead of the game, but it is big and bulky and that may be a problem. If I were you, I would stick with what you have for at least a few months and then see how you feel

the difficulty with this machine for pc is that I think 800x600 is the sweetspot, so you are looking at relatively low resolution.

ad

ad

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Shinobiwan

Friend of a friend at a big CRT projector. He sold it to buy a Panasonic AE300 which he now thinks is the dogs.

They are the Ferraris of the projector world. Brilliant quality but expensive to maintain and difficult to get the best out of them if you don't know what you are doing.

Think of all the pubs with 'big screen entertainment' that have the picture quality of a wet weekend.

chris

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

I'm going to stick with the NEC VT45 for a while as buns said, I haven't even seen the quality of that yet so I would be a little foolish to go spending around £600 on an old CRT machine. Its also extremely large looking - not ideal when your only dealing with a 3m x 6m room.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I first started, I was worried about picture too..... but didnt even consider changing for 18 months, the performance for money is very good...... unless you start going demoing anything and everything, it surprises me that people upgrade so quickly because in reality, alot of these upgrades are upgrades blind..... I do admit to doing alot blind, but that is because I cant demo and the step in performance is great enough, itw would be nearly impossible to be disappointed (hcpc excluded!)

Ad

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    100% with you on that Buns. Can't see the point in upgrading say, from an AE100 to an AE300. I think you need to wait at least 2 years or double your original spend to get a worthwhile (IMHO) upgrade on a projector.

Chris

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I was at the event this weekend, and I've posted some comments in the Event II forum.

Basically, I wasn't as awed with the CRTs as I thought I was going to be, and I don't thinks it's a vast improvement over my HT1000, so I left feeling quite happy with my set-up and no inclination to upgrade. :)

It was a great day - you should go to something like this if you get the chance as you'll not get the opertunity to see many different projectors/scalers etc otherwise.

Gary.