1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVP 350 problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rezabelady, Nov 13, 2000.

1. rezabelady

rezabelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad has had a Seleco SVP350 projector unit laying about in his living room since last october when a friend's club shut down and my dad was asked to take care of it - when i moved in a couple of months ago it was still there, so i decided to hook it up, and have just now recently got around to doing so - there isn't too much space so i haven't used it too much, but i want to start using it quite regularly as i watch quite a lot of movies

anyway - basically, the projector has been resting on top of a small table, positioned with the ceiling bracket exposed on top,
    there is no way that the ceiling would hold it, so i would like to turn it over and use it as a floor projector

the problem i have is... i am unable to change the 'INSTALL TYPE' from 'CEILING FRONT' setting - i have only just worked out how to access the MAIN SETTINGS MENU (as i have no instructions and have yet to receive a reply from an email to owl-video) and this has allowed me to adjust the deflection settings so that i can actually get a decent enough picture from the current position

but.. although i can access the INSTALL MENU, i'm not sure exactly how i did it (nothing was working, so i pressed the ENTER and EXIT buttons a couple of times each and suddenly i was in!)

my real problem, though is that i cannot change the picture orientation - in the 'INSTALL TYPE' when i change install type to desktop/rear or any other combination the picture remains in the 'CEILING FRONT' orientation (inverted)

is this a fault or am i just not doing something right - i have no past experience with projectors at all (i'm surprised i've actually got this far), so any help would be much appreciated

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    To enter into setup mode you need to press the OOO button on the remote for 2 seconds.
    You then select INSTALL MENU and then press the exit button SEVEN times and you will be in INSTALL MODE. you should be able to find your way round by then.
    With regard to the installation type, you will need to manualy change the horizontal and vertical deflection plugs. These are quite well hidden inside the case, just behind the blue tube. The horizontal plugs are 3sets of 3 and the vertical, 3 sets of 2 connectors. You will have to unplug these and turn them round. They are colour coded, I cant remember the colours, but you just need to turn them aroud so its irrelevant really. If you get stuck, i'll try and find the manual, but you shouldn't need it. Obviously make sure the machine is off!
    Let me know how you get on.

3. rezabelady

rezabelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers just the info i needed (i would never have worked it out, and still haven't received a reply from 3 companies i emailed regarding it) - i'll give it a go tomorrow if i don't get home too late, and i'll let you know how it went

thanks again - much appreciated

4. rezabelady

rezabelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops! (double post)

[This message has been edited by rezabelady (edited 13-11-2000).]

5. rezabelady

rezabelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

right - i actually decided to have a go at changing the connectors around when i got in last night, and i didn't have too much trouble in finding them and turning them round

but.. the red and blue lenses are out of alignment/focus - i take it this is probably because they are set up for use in a ceiling installation(?)

if this is the case, is realigning/refocusing something i could do myself without too much trouble, or would you not recommend it? (as i said, i don't have much knowledge about projectors and i don't want to go breaking something or making it worse)

if not, then i expect that i'll turn it over and try to accomodate it with the ceiling bracket on top until i find the chance to get an expert to have a go - not as neat, but once i had found the deflection settings i was actually able to get a pretty good picture

thanks again for the help

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You will find that the tubes will need to be re-focused and re aligned. Its not something which is easy to explain though. I can only tell you what I know,I'm certainly not an expert. I've set mine up myself in the past and it is difficult enough but without a manual it would be pretty much impossible. If you have somebody in your area , a shop maybee who sell projectors it might be worth having a word to see if they can help you out. I say this because its very time consuming and frustrating. It might save your sanity! But if you do have a go , you must get a manual first and follow it word from word. Good Luck! Again, let me know how it goes.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Adjusting the focus of the guns is a simple enough job. You will NOT be able to focus the blue as well as green or red, this is intentional ( the de-focused blue energises more phosphor and aids higher light output without overdriving the blue tube, your brain finds it harder to focus on blue anyway so you wont actually notice).

You'll see 2 butterfly bolts at the lens assembly on each gun. Untighten the rear one( one furthest from the front of the projector) you'll now find that you can turn the lens asembly and it'll screw forward and backward ( this will adjust focus in the centre of the screen). Move it till central focus is correct (ignore the sides and corners just look in the middle). Once it's all ok tighten up the nut again. Then undo the front butterfly bolt.

Now you can swivel the front assembly. This time you should see the edge and corners come in to focus while the centre should stay focused..... Repeat this for each tube.

Now, if you find it's not possible to focus one corner or side well then you have probably not got the projector perpedicular to the screen. To get perfect corner focus you also may have to change some washers between the lenses and their housing. I suggest you just leave this be though!

I'm not going to tell you how to adjust the tube alignement though. Not just because it's quite hard to expalin but also because you could break the thing and yourself if you do it wrong.

If you do manage to work it out make sure you re-set everything to ZERO before attempting to move the tubes. Also make sure you don't use any magnetised screwdrivers or sockets while carrying out this adjustment. They'll cause the image to shift about.....

My advice would be to order an installation manual from OWL. It'll explain what steps to take and how to go through them in order.

All the best,

Gordon

P.S. eMAIL me if you have problems getting the manual
    ------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 14-11-2000).]

8. rezabelady

rezabelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, guys - i haven't had much time lately, and i had actually turned the projector back the other way up but i felt it was taking up too much room and looked untidy because it needed extra elevation, so i tried turning it over and adjusting the focus as suggested in order to see what kind of improvement i would get

i've watched tarzan and the perfect storm on dvd on it, and it seems reasonably good (probably because the picture is widescreen, meaning that the top and bottom of the screen, which are the most out of alignment, are not used) - tarzan certainly looked pretty good, but i guess animation generally does (plus it was pal, while perfect storm was ntsc, which may have made a some kind of difference)

watching skydigital on it was quite disappointing, though (although watchable) - but i didn't particularly intend to use the projector for tv, except for movies

because it is the easier and neater option to live with, i think i'm gonna leave it as it is for now - as i said it is a pretty good picture that i could live with for the time being (my dad also has a pretty good quality 40" rear projection tv for me to watch movies on if push comes to shove!)

i'm definitely looking into getting hold of a manual - i'm thinking about moving the projector into a different room so i think it would be a good idea to learn how to realign it myself - i've emailed owl, but they haven't actually replied to my previous one (if i don't hear from them in the week i'll probably drop you a line, Gordon)

once again, thanks for all of the information and advice

[This message has been edited by rezabelady (edited 20-11-2000).]

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Barry,

I've got prices for the instruction manuals. It's just I read your email from a remote PC adn I haven't got your address to email you the info at.

Please get in touch

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  11. rezabelady

rezabelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi gordon,

thanks for doing that for me, mate - apologies for not getting in touch (been really busy lately, but i just finished my 1st term of uni yesterday so that's freed up a bit of time for me now) - check your email

- barry

12. kokey

kokey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info in this thread guys. I've got an SVP 350 projector with the same problem where I want to use it in a desktop configuration, except that I didn't have a remote either. I ordered a replacement remote (after giving up on building my own) and thought it wasn't the correct model with all the features.

I can now at least navigate all the menus and I think I'll be able to get it the allignment and convergence set up right using the SVP 420's manual which is available on the Sim2 site. I am in the fortunate position where I can move the projecter the correct distance from the wall to match how it was set up before, the image is just a bit concaved in at the top and bottom so I hope that should be easy to correct.

13. mgm187

mgm187
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am in a somewhat similar boat I bought a house and it came with the screen and projector. i have not moved it but i have unplugged the green red and blue cables from the back (I know stupid me) i think I got it plug together right i get a picture but its not in focus . what I would like to know is just a few details of this system ...where do i plug the wires correctly...whats the resolution on this model ..and last for now is even though its out of focus I can tell that the picture looks rather dull not as bright as expected. I have the manual I haven't messed with it much ...I'm not really technically inclined. And the previous owner doesn't speak a lick of English :rolleyes: I could use some guidance :lease:

14. mgm187

mgm187
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plus I can't find a website for this model??