1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVP 350 Plus

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Beefy, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Beefy

Beefy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are they like?
    What would you say the going prices is for one with no burn, no visible browning and low usuage, say less than 2000 hours.

Has anyone owned one, anything to look out for?

How old are they...? Does anyone know when they first came out?

Thanks..

Chris

2. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beefy,

the 350+ came out in late 1999. I bought a new 350 at that time - cause it was discontinued and I got it cheap, about $AUD7,000. (They were listed at $12k). The difference between mine and the 350+ is the 350+ has an additional component board for component out.

Mine has 1130 hours on it since I purchased it in December 1999, there is no wear. The PJ came factory preset for a 100" diagonal screen using ceiling front projection. I also got an installation remote for it to do touchups on convergence.

The only difference for me was that as I am in the southern hemisphere the entire pj had to be reset because of the different magnetic fields. In fact all European video equipment which is imported has to be reset.

The installer did a good job of setting it up for me, however, we did have a number of earthquakes which threw the pj out of alignment a bit, took me a while to refocus but it will do until I have the pj in its new location.

If you can, try to run the PJ with component or RGB for your signal and connectors - as this will potentialy give you the best pic. On PAL DVD enhanced disks using 16:9 aspect - you will almost never see scan lines. On 4:3 material from TV braodcasts you will see scan lines - but it is not too bad. Bear in mind this is a video only pj not capable of being line doubled (it is 15.65kHz only). But that said it has beautiful colour and excellent depth with the right input signals.

Good entry level pj. I will not be changing up until I can afford my new Barco.

cheers

Bill

3. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

Beefy:

I'm in the process of buying a 350 CRT Projector, not the plus version. It's gonna be my first CRT projector, after owning a LCD projector before.

So it's gonna be interesting to see how i get on setting it up...............

Download the 420HB manual from here. (It's got the same focus & converging as the 350.)

Ziggypop:

As this will be my first CRT projector, what ratio size screen should
    i build ?? I was gonna build a 4:3 screen, but if scanlines are a problem with 4:3 material, should i go with a 16:9 screen ?? (That's gonna be 6ft wide)

Cheers

Cosmic023

4. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool:

Cosmic,

if you are in a PAL TV zone then you should not really have a problem with scan lines as long as you observe the following provisos.

1. I am assuming the PJ is factory standard and set for ceiling projection and 100" diagonal matte white screen.

2. As long as you sit about 3.5m+ from the screen you should not get a real problem with scan lines. I am assuming you will use the best external aerial and have it all set up correctly with the best quality lo-loss cable to the PJ.

3. with the 350 you use a 4:3 screen unless your TV transmission is entirely 16:9 in which case use a 16:9 and set all your aspect ratios for that.

4. The best picture you can have with this pj is an enhanced (anamorphic DVD in PAL with RGB signal into the PJ. At 3.5m to a 100" screen there are no scan lines. This pj really needs the best signal to perform. For a cheap pub pj it performs remarkably.

cheers

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Ziggypop,

Thanks for getting back to me.............the answers to your questions are as follows:

1) The projector as far as i know was ceiling mounted onto a 4:3 ratio 6 foot wide Owl screen. I'd be projecting onto a DIY screen of about 6 foot wide, but it will be in a 16:9 ratio.

2) The throw between the screen is about 2.5m, so would this be ok with scanlines ?? I doubt if i'd be using it for regular tv (PAL 625 in the UK) and just use it for watching dvd's.

3) As already stated, i'd be using my dvd player connected via RGB, so 75% of the played material is 16:9 and the rest will be 4:3.

4) I'd be using high quality video lead (Scart to x5 BNC's) to connect the projector to my dvd player...........

I know it's a starter projector, but then funds couldn't stretch to a 2nd hand Sony / NEC / Barco CRT projector, so it's better than nothing for home theatre, and this box will run rings round my old DIY LCD video projector.

Cheers

Cosmic023

6. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cosmic,

if you have downloaded the manual from the Sim2 site, in it you will find the exact distances you need for any given screen size. The pj you look at is the 420 it is similar to the 350 but without the tuner and has component in.

I would still watch TV on it, your PAL system is the same as ours, and on a 100" screen it looks good. Make sure the focus is correct.

The important thing with all projectors, but particularly crt ones is the physical geometry. Get that right and everything else should fall into place. IF you are making a screen PLEASE ensure that it is exactly placed with respect to the centre of the screen.

If you do a search on seleco convergence in this forum, you will see that the two best gurus here, have probably covered all the most important points on installation.
    (and there is plenty of threads).

But read the manual and follow it plus the tips which Chris and Roland and others have given over the years - and you should be okay. You will be surprised at how good the picture can be out of these units.

PS The rugby here on a 100" 4:3 with RGB braodcast signal through a digital to analogue set top box is bloody good!

Above all enjoy the movies!

cheers

Bill from OZ.

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Ziggypop,

Thanks for the advice.........

I'll see how i get with the instalation of this CRT projector, it will be my first. But i should have everything pretty much setup for me by the previous owner, and only really need to tweak the geometry & do the convergence ??

I've been reading as much as i can about CRT projectors, so that'll help a bit. And i've always got people on here to help me in case i get stuck.

As for the alignment between the projector and the screen, i've already planned this one out, so it shouldn't be to bad.

Cheers

Cosmic023