seleco svp 350 newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hbk2004v1, Mar 17, 2006.

1. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have a seleco svp 350 as well and its a little noisey if i remove the convergence fan completey would it over heat ive heard some people say it would be ok but i dont want to ruin my seleco 350:thumbsup:

also the convergence on these things does my head in i can never get a good convergence mayb some one on here can help me out of this mess:lease:

i dont have the remote and the projector is set for celing but i want to use it as a desktop i tryed turning the deflection leads around but now the image is concaved at the sides its a nightmare but its the right way round now

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a really common problem. If you remove it, it will probably run fine for at least a few hours at a time without problems, but if you start letting these transistors overheat it will be a real pain in the bum to find the faulty ones etc... so better to be safe and replace the fan. I bought a 40mm fan from maplins which is bigger than the stock fan and has a higher cfm without making any real noise. Use just the top fan mount to hold it in place and jobs a goodun.

As for converging it... have a bit of a search. Chris Frost has posted a really good exhaustive how to guide.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Lex's modded uber-fan works a treat. A replacement standard fan works fine too. The bearings dry out over time causing the noise. Repalcing the fan isn't difficult, you just need a soldering iron with a fine tip, and a steady hand :smashin:

The convergence has gone concave because you need to switch a menu setting as well as changing the deflection leads. You really do need the remote to do this and to reset the deflection controls and to memorises the new settings and to adjust and store the picture controls and to...well, you get the idea.

I've been talking about doing a "Convergence for Dummies" manual for the 350 for a while. If there's enough demand then I'll pinch some time from somewhere and get it written.

4. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

Chris (above) is definitely your man for the Seleco but if I could add my 2p's worth. Apart from getting the remote which you need, one of the main things you want to worry about when setting up a projector with analog convergence (just think of it as infinitely adjustable:smashin: ) is to make sure that you get the projector mechanically level and centered before you start (and I mean dead-on-balls-accurate).

This will make your life so much easier and enable a much better convergence. Do a good job mechanically and not only is it better for the PJ but convergence is easy. If you're only a couple of millimetres out mechanically then it's a real uphill challenge and you'll probably have to get used to parts of the extremities of the screen always being mushed.

Analog convergence ain't easy but it is satisfying when you do it right:smashin:

5. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the help guys i have another question how can i make the blue higher can i adjust the g2 settings or is that not recomended also the colour is set at 6500k and i find that it isnt the same as my tv, my tv has more blue and im used to it .
    cant wait to get that remote i got the projector for £110 with delivery which is cheap so im happy about that and the tubes have no burns. i would rate them at 9 out of 10

also the sharpness of the screen isnt as good as my tv it looks a little blurry ive tryed my best to focus the image and got it a little sharper but not much ,im using a big white wall at the moment would the picture be better if i used a screen ?

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi you noticed the blue not being "blue enough" from a 350....

The Reds should appear a bit orange

the Greens a little yellow

There is NO colour filtering on a 350 so I would check your picture again......It will be different to the TV, If its a good TV like Sony trinitron then I would expect the TV to be correct.....

Set your tv controls to mid point and see if you still think only the blue?

As for the analogue convergence - on Seleco's I actually prefer it to the digital - its quicker to work with and more control than the digi versions.....

There are several setting which need to be set together with another setting, flicking back and forth in digi is harder than analogue - ONLY what I find but then I did set up hundreds of 350's (and yes I do mean 100's, and loads of 150,190's too) and very few digi ones.

Of course you need binoculars to use analogue with ease and digi means you can be at the screen......

Focus - an uneven wall wont help but you should be ok, the Selecos were very good at focus, I am still impressed at how good they are.

7. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mad i did change the focus on the blue, but when i put it to the sharpest the blue went dimmer so mayb thats why ,is it ok to mess with the g2 settings and would that make the colours stronger ?

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unless you've had this machine professionally calibrated, I wouldn't be afraid of messing with the g2. As you've discovered, the g2 and focus have an affect on each other, so spend some time getting it right... Be careful as well - I got a shock adjusting the focus on my barco the other day.

9. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok ill try to be carefull i always use a plasic covered screwdriver when im near high voltage circuits ill let you no if the g2 settings makes the picture better.

10. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW what a diffrence the colours seem much better now and the sharpness is alot better the only thing left to get is a remote control so i can sort out the sides:) :D

i tested it with finding nemo and the picture was just about perfect ,minor convergence errors on top left but doesnt bother me so ill leave it like this

11. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this convergence is really doing my head in i just cant get it right i like things perfect i wish i just left it as it was before now its worse the green is showing in the image the converge is completely off

12. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I would not really play with the G2 settings on a seleco......

UNLESS you KNOW they are out by a long way - In which case I would think you would know what you are doing anyway.....

Do you have the remote yet????

If not dont worry about the convergence until you do.....

There is an order to doing things , and an art.....the order is in the manual (80% right...) the art only comes with practice.....no different to anything else in life.......

13. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha ohh so what your saying is i will never get the convergence right without the remote and because the corners are curved ,as for buying the remote im still waiting for my new debit card to come.

are u suppose to match the lines at the top for the right convergence ?

because at the moment there well off they start ok then seperate near the end if that makes sense.

14. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Get a remote, then posts some pictures of what you have.....

Start from scratch NOT trying to tweak a convergence that was for a different set up.....

15. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    ARe you talking about the three lines way off the top of the screen? If so then no, they won't converge. These are the AKB lines. They're used to monitor the tube emissions and maintain colour balance.

Once your debit card arrives there is one other recommended purchase - PAL DVE test disc

This has all the picture test patterns you will ever need to help you set up your projector. It will make the job much easier. There is also a bunch of audio test tones as well. These go beyond the basic 'levels' tones and provide some really useful tests for phase and bass response. Well worth the £15 or less that it costs. The disc is widely available from the usual R2 retailers. Here's a price comparison site

16. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanx for the replys where do u recommend to get the remote control

also my tv has just gone wrong on me this is all i need

i get nothing but bad luck with tv's

17. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Your TV needs a new HV lead.

DONT use it....

the HV - High Voltage will aways try and jump to ground.....

When it does it could kill other parts.

:mad:

18. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the reply i tryed disconnecting the red tube and after i did that the picture was good so it could be the actual tube and not the hv lead

19. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a faulty hv lead make the picture go all red and out of focus ?

20. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I dont know that exact set.

SOMR the HV lead connects to the "bell" of the tube, SOME to the neck card.

The focus issue has been mentioned by many often when the neck card is not on properly OR when the HT wire into the neck card has started to fail - so yes it is possible.

Please always note, people here will try and tell you possible options but NOT always the exact answer to the fault, without seeing the issue it will always be an educated guess.........

Always if you can post a picture of the neck cards / HV lead.........

21. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i cheaked the hv wire and its fine so it must be the tube, what i didnt tell you was the red crt was leaking coolant fluid onto the tube connecter and i found some on the yoke so it might of damaged it completely but that was a few weeks back how much will a new red crt tube cost and do you think i should phone the person up i got the tv off, i paid £300 for this tv last december ,for it to go wrong so soon is stupid if i put this tv on ebay do you think people would buy it ?
    because thats what i feel like doing right now as im skint and cant afford for a tv man to come and fix it

22. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    IF is was the tube then tubes are expensive BUT the reds are the cheapest and easyiest to find.

I DONT THINK IT IS THE TUBE........

As for calling the seller....

Im really sorry to say BUT....the second you bought it any issues are really down to you.....Its very difficult I know but thats the second hand market........

IF the red had leaked within days then maybe a different case but 3 months.........dont think you will have much luck.....

23. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any way to test the tube and if its not the tube could it be the plug that connects onto the tube
    by the way ive been using it with just green and blue and its watchable lol much better picture than with the red on i will try and post some pics tommorow jamie.

24. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I swapped the boards round and now the green looks like the red so i found the problem either the plug or the whole board the red tube must be fine phew! i noticed the board has very bad soldering ill try and post a pic as soon as i can

Attached Files:

25. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also i just got my new card but ebay wont acept it its a cirrus i got it so i could sell on ebay damn

26. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    So looks like a neck card......

Call Samsung maybe? or I can now move this thread into the Rear Projection tv section where you might hit lucky and someone has a spare ???

(In the CRT section I doubt anyone will have)

27. hbk2004v1

hbk2004v1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea or ring up a tv repair shop and see if they can fix the card or have a spare for this tv

to be honest since ive had my seleco svp 350 the tv hasnt been turned on much anyway lol

When i put the blue neck board onto the red neckboard perfect picture from red also after i did that i replaced the red neck board back on and its made the horrible lines go away and the picture seems like its getting better verry slowly but its better than before so mayb it will self right itself i no it wants to its like its fixing itself i can now see a image and the red blur is getting smaller if it goes back to normal ill be well happy