1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVP-310 intermittent Problem agh!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NikSoftware, Aug 20, 2004.

1. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Hello all.

A friend of mine has recently come into ownership of a 310 with a 3100 remote.

All was going well once I had discovered the odd way to reach the install menu.
    I managed to get a pretty well converged picture.
    All was wonderfull we were using it on and off for a few days upto 15hrs continually at one point.

Alas the next day I come to turn it on and the picture has turned into a scattered mess.
    It seems that either it has lost control of its H-freq or size? because it is displaying the first ~10% of the 2nd scanline at the end of the 1st etc.
    Changing the tv-format (ntsc/pal) has no effect neither does reloading deflection memory on osd.

It did this once during the time it was on the floor while i was finding out how to flip the picture for desktop orientation but it simply disappeared after not touching the thing for bout 3days.

have managed to leave it unplugged for 2days between trying this time so far but to no avail.

Its displaying ~6ft screen in desktop orientation. got 25k hrs on the clock but
    by the looks the r and b (tube/lens/phospher?) have been replaced but their is some burning in the green.
    Nothing else electrical or metal was moved in the room either.

help. :suicide:

2. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS: i only have cables to input composite video atm but w/ or w/o no difference.
    when displaying the grid the horiz lines seem solid but the vert lines end up scattered.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Is the projector set up for desktop or ceiling mounting?

With 25,000 hrs on the clock I presume you don't want to throw too much money at this projector, so best thing to do is check all the basics and rule out any errors in set up. Have you set up a CRT before?

Regards

4. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was working fine again this morning out of the blue.
    but i think this problem might recur considering it has apperraed twice after extended use and disappeared in bout 3days both times.

I had the chance to use a set of 9 yamaha rear pjn 40" wall setup
    which i had to install and setup myself but i self-tought what was
    nescessary so i might have missed some things.

i could do with the manual for the 310 aswell ive had no answer from sim2 bout it nor from owl video.

I had only converged mostly with 16 point grid mode instead of bowings/tiltings etc.
    The way its setup atm some of the convergence pots are at their limits which is not the way i would prefer them to be.
    mainly for any status leds on the boards and the ideal order of operations on the pots.

The pj is in desktop mode.
    what does the setting in the install menu osd for desktop/ceiling/rear/front actually change ? i can see some changes in deflection but i wondered what and why. I found the jumpers for flipping the screen easily enough.

i have tried putting the all pots to 50% and clearing the digital memory to no effect.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    It's never good to have the convergence pots at their limits. It puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the projector which can lead to problems.

The basic steps of setting up are:

1. check physical alignment of projector to screen
    2. reset the convergence and deflection settings (don't re-centre the Green pots)
    3. adjust toe-in of the Red and Blue lenses (you'll need a long reach Philips No2 screwdriver, Halfords sell them), then focus all three
    4. adjust deflection controls for correct picture shape
    5. begin convergence - Red to Green, starting with H&V Centre, Skew & Bow controls, then Linearity & Size, then Keystone & Pincushion, then Borders and finally Corner Zones. Repeat for Blue. (You may have to go back over some previous convergence settings as some controls interact)
    6. finish with blanking.

You should also go through the projector (with PWR off) and check for loose connections on the fly leads and make sure all the plug-in boards are seated correctly.That's about as much as you can do before the projector needs to spend some time with the service team at Owl. They can run diagnostics to track down dry joints and components on the edge of failure that cause these intermittent faults.

The Orientation Settings in the menus alters the picture shape to suit desktop or ceiling. You'll notice the effect on Vertical Keystone. I think it also affects the way the remote works i.e. switching up for down and left for right.

Regards

6. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the time.

By toe-in do u mean the physical angle of the r/b lenses?
    and is skew = tilt?

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yes to both.

I'll be away for the next couple of days. Will catch up with this thread Tues/Weds.

Regards

8. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought i'd say thanx for all the help.

It seems after much fiddling that it is a loose 'sync manager' card located under the green tube.

When the problem reoccurs re-seating this card corrects the prob.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :smashin: