1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVD800HD, too high contrast?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anders B, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Anders B

Anders B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ..I have a Seleco 800 with 1700 hours on the tubes..It´s connected to a iScan HD and a 210 cm wide screen at 290 cm distance. The blacks are only good with a high contrast set to 80 and the brightness at 49...Will I burn the tubes? If so, How can I adjust the settings to a lower contrast with enough blacks? I cannot see any wear after 1100 hours of use. (The iScan brightness and contrast is set to zero.) There is no ambient light, totally black room...

2. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Contrast has nothing to do with blacks.

Contrast is the white level. Set it such that you get enough light output for your taste.

Brightness sets the black level - Best way to set brightness is to use a test DVD such as Avia.

Kal

3. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second Kal's recommendation of a calibration DVD; this is one investment you almost certainly won't regret.

If I should venture an (un)educated guess ;) , it could be that you have your brightness (black level) set too high, so they only appear dark enough if you increase the contrast (white level).

With regards to your settings of 80 and 49 of contrast and brightness, these numbers in itself means very little; what counts is the brightness you see on the screen. If you have the option to adjust contrast and brightness somewhere else in your video chain, you could crank it up there and thus lower the settings on the projector. Tube wear would be the same however, if you have the same brightness on the screen, as the tubes have to work just as hard.

Sorry if the above seems too elemental, but you fairly often see questions in forums like "am I safe if I have my contrast below 60 ?", and this is impossible to answer without knowing the full system and setup - to a degree where you'd probably have to measure the light output from the projector.

Cheers,
    Erling

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Anders B, congratulations, you have a lovely projector in the 800. I'd also agree with KalW and Erling re calibration.

You should also check the impedance of the PC cable from the iScan to the 800HD. The correct impedance for video devices is 75 Ohm. This applies to the cable and the connectors. Some PC cables are 50 Ohm. This will give a washed out look to the image. :)

Regards

Chris

5. Anders B

Anders B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank You...The image is great!....Though just a bit washed out with lower brightness or contrast... The cable is an RGBHV-VGA adaptor made by a CRT-dealer in Stockholm so I suppose it should be 75 ohm...Before I bought the scaler I used a component-cable with the same settings. I still don´t really understand why "everybody" are afraid of high contrast settings ( a bit uneducated guy in spite of >6 years with crt-pj:s ). Maybe my "80" is not too high then...The Pioneer 868 and the iScan are SDI-modded....The image is very pleasant and I can watch it for many hours without "eye-strain" as with the DLP:s I`ve seen..
    ..Might add that the colours are natural with 9500°. (6500° totally wrong).
    1999-2004 I had a Seleco 320 with natural colours at 6500° and the brightness, contrast set to 49 resp 69. :)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Anders: If the image is not "blooming" then don;t worry about your contrast setting. The 6500/9500 settings are just presets. If you measured the on screen temperature I'm usre you'd find it has little relationship to the fgures the PJ thinks it's set at. As soon as you adjusted the electonic focus you'll have changed it from what the factory thought was correct.

Gordon