1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVD-500HD any good?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lizzard, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a CRT projector and would like to know if you recommend Seleco SVD-500HD?

Or the Seleco 500Plus?

I was looking also into getting a used Barco projector but those are very BIG and heavy.

Is there such big difference between a used Barco and a Seleco 500?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Both the Seleco 800HD and 500 Plus are fine projectors and properly set up will produce stunning results.

I don't think you are comparing eggs with eggs with the Barco range.
    If you take an entry level Barco from their 700 range (701,708 Cine7) and compare it to the Seleco 500
    The Barco is only 27mm longer and 8mm taller but it is 70mm narrower. It is 1 kg heavier.

List price inc vat for Seleco 500 plus = £8813

So only about £4-6000 more.

But if you are looking at the 3 series BMW in the showroom are you prepared to look at the 5 series out on the forcourt?

Others must step in here becasue my view will be biased.

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay Roland, I'll step in here.

Forget the Seleco, save yourself an upgrade step. I used to have the Seleco Data/Graphics 700, not too dissimilar to the new 800. I now have the Barco Graphics 808 and wished I'd known about the Barco range before I bought the Seleco. The difference is astonishing, the Barco range is much more upmarket and shows in the quality of the picture, which is brighter and more dynamic. It's also got better focus and is easier to setup and maintain. I was adjusting the convergence on the Seleco two or three times a month, with the Barco it's more like two or three times a year.

4. ATUL

ATUL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use good quality external line doubler with Seleco 500,it will be as good as 700 series Barco projector.

Atul

AP Homecinema
    Atul1@aol.com

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless of course, you use the same good quality line-doubler on the Barco.;)

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Lizzard,
    I've had some great results out of Seleco's 500 Plus. I particularly like it when used with a Quadscan Elite. Edgyboy might also agree, he too has seen this combination.

I have to disagree with GaryG. The Seleco SVD800 is in a different league to the Seleco SDG700, though I do accept they share some common components.

As for retaining convergence, I've never found this to be a problem. If set-up well first, Seleco's are as good at holding convergence as their more expensive cousins.

Regards

7. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    We have a SIM 2 500HD which has been very well set up and the picture is very good indeed. No problems with convergence drift over time. Every six months or so seems fine.

The picture improves again, as Chris says, with a Quadscan. Smoother, more filmic.

Support through OWL good too.

8. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizzard
    It would appear that I'm a lonely voice in this discussion, perhaps a better question you should post is, 'How many Barco owners would swap their projector for a Seleco?' Followed by, 'How many HTPC owners would swap their HTPC for a Quadscan?' I'm not picking faults with anything Chris has said, in fact Chris was a great help to me in getting the best out of my Seleco and Quadscan before I sold them, it's just that I feel the 'best bang for the buck' lies elsewhere.

Now, having banged the drum for Barco I'm going to suggest that before you buy either the Seleco or the Barco that you go and have a look at the Sharp 9000E fed with an HTPC projected onto a grey screen, especially as you mentioned size in your one of your responses. After that comment I'm off to take cover before the shooting starts!

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I was looking to upgrade to a SVT 500 from a SVP 320 about a year ago, but after seeing an 808 it was an easy decision. About half the price,and a picture that was very clearly much better, although I thought the Sim 2 500 was a great unit. If you want a projector to look nice on your ceiling, choose a Seleco. If the quality of image is more important, choose Barco. Coupled with a reasonable PC, you won't be disapointed.

Regards Rob.

10. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Rob, was the Barco half the price because it was second hand ?

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Tom,

It must have been. Barco 808 is around £15000 new I think. The HT modded version, CINE8 is £18000. Not really comparing like with like there except for price/performance.....in whcih case s/h Ferrari will usually cream a "Hot Hatch".

Gordon

12. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Exactly.

13. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Tom,

Yes, the 808 was about 3 years old. As Gordon says, a new one is around £15,000 or thereabouts, so not really a fair comparison. Its just a case of what to buy if you are spending £5000 or thereabouts. I just thought a second hand 808 was better value for money. I still think the Seleco 500 is a cracking projector though.

Regards Rob.

14. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all help.

I am pretty confused with all this.

As i want to have the projector in my livingroom, and i live in an apartment i want it to look nice also.

I know CRT is good, but if you compare the Sony VW-11HT LCD with the Seleco SVD-500 and both use a Iscan unit, what projector would show the best picture?

As the Seleco is only 40kg and the Barco is like 70kg i don't feel confidence in hanging a Barco in the ceiling and the problem getting it there.

Does the Seleco need more darkness in the room compared to the Sony 11ht?

Thanks.

15. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    As i want to have the projector in my livingroom, and i live in an apartment i want it to look nice also.

The VW11HT is the sleeker, more attractive of the two displays.
    The SVD500 looks nice too, but is substantially bigger and more cumbersome. The ceiling bracket is not the most attractive peice of steel on the market.

I know CRT is good, but if you compare the Sony VW-11HT LCD with the Seleco SVD-500 and both use a Iscan unit, what projector would show the best picture?

Having owned a VW10 and a 500, I would say they KEY differences are that the black level of the 500 is much better. The colour rendition is also better on the 500. Also, the 500 has a smoother picture especially when teemed up with an iScan or Quadscan. The VW10 is higher resloution though so you may see a little more detail in the picture.

As the Seleco is only 40kg and the Barco is like 70kg i don't feel confidence in hanging a Barco in the ceiling and the problem getting it there.

Not surprising !

Does the Seleco need more darkness in the room compared to the Sony 11ht?

Yes, the Seleco ideally needs a darkened room. The VW11HT will work with more ambient light for casual veiwing. Both projectors will work best with the lights down.

Perhaps the VW11 may be the better bet for your circumstances. It does have a very nice picture out of the box that can be further tweaked when you feel comfortable with it. Ultimately, the Seleco is the nicer to watch but your situation and surroundings have to take precedent.

We had a VW10HT for 18 months and thoroughly enjoyed every film we watched on it.

The imortant thing is it has to work well in your home.

Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

16. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You dont have to put up with any sign of brackets on the ceiling, I put coving around my PJ so you cant see any cables or mounting brackets etc. You just have to make sure you dont affect the airflow. You cannot get away from the fact that CRT are bigger but you can minimise the "visual intrusion", we had some friends standing underneath the PJ (not turned on) and they asked where the PJ was!!

Steve