1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVD 500 Plus. Is it worth anything?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peteclarke, Jul 17, 2003.

1. peteclarke

peteclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just a quick question that hopefully one of you good people might be able to answer.

I have been the proud owner of a Seleco SVD 500 for the past 5 or 6 years from the moment Musical Images installed my shiny new home cinema system. Unfortunately I'm moving house and there is no room for the projector in the new house (grrrrr).

Now the projector has a couple of issues. Firstly the tubes went about 3 years ago. Thankfully it was still under warranty so all was replaced new (although it still cost a fair whack to have it shipped and re-installed). For the past 6 months it has been mostly fine, but very occasionally the screen will blank for about 5 minutes. Additionally the VGA connection has stopped working. Now both of these issues might be minor, I'm not really sure.

I was going to put the projector in storage for another day, but thought I'd see if it was worth anything. Obviously it would probably have to go to a dealer due to the intermittent problems. It also has the expensive ceiling bracket (can't remember what it is called) that cost a few hundred quid with the install and the lenses are in fine condition etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone would want it, and what it might be worth (with the bracket if someone wanted that) as it would be a shame to put it into storage if someone could make use of it. So answers on a postcard please...any information gratefully received.

Thankfully there is room in my new house for my Denon Amp and Kef Reference 4s :)

Kind Regards

Pete Clarke

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mod Note:

There's no problem discussing this but please don't let this turn into a For Sale / Want thread because that sort of thing should take place in the Classified forum only.

Thanks

3. peteclarke

peteclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, I had read the forum rules...and at this stage just want to investigate if it is worth selling or best to hang onto it for another day. If I decide it is I'll be sure to put an ad in the classified section. Thanks for the info,

Regards

Pete Clarke

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you considered getting in touch with seleco (SIM?) directly and seeing if they can suggest what may be causing the problem? It may be something simple and you could be losing out on alot of money in a sale by not asking......

Ad

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Nah, not worth a bean, mate. Tell you what, I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for £50. I'll even come and collect it - can't say fairer than that can you!! ;) ;) ;)

OK, now you've picked yourself up off the floor I'm glad to tell you that there is a market for used CRTs and 500's are worth a bit more than £50.

The last 500 to come up for sale in this forum belonged to Edgeyboy. A Plus model with just 700 hrs on the clock. He advertised at £3500 and dropped to £2500 but still no takers. If you can find an interested buyer just when you are selling then £3000-£3500 is about the right money for something with so few hours.

The bracket you spoke about would be a Unicol "Beamlock". MI used quite a few in their CRT installs. These brackets are modular, it is possible to buy a different end to suit other projectors.

Regards

6. peteclarke

peteclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the assistance on this. I've been away this week so have just seen the replies. I shall by mulling over the future of my projector over the weekend. Thanks again,

Pete

7. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I would suggest a 500 is worth between £2000 and £2300 on a good day. I advertised it for the best part of 2 months and had not one sniff of interest, apart from South African money launderers.

I eventually sold it back to the delaer I bought if from. I'll re enter the projector market sometime next year and reavuluate the market then.

The demand for CRT via a private sale really is extremely small nowadays.

Regards

Tom.