1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SLC600

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gee, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have posted this before but I need some more info :) I have been offered a Seleco SLC 600 for £1000 second hand(last time I posted the price was £1500) and I was wondering how it would compare with say a Sanyo PLV30 or Toshiba MT1, I know the SLC600 is quite old now but its within my budget and I believe it has had new bulb fitted recently. Any info would be great as I'm having a look at it on Monday.
    :D

Cheers,

Gee

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The SLC600 is a 3 chip LCD projector with 800x600 resolution, manual zoom & focus lens and remote control. It was last sold new around Jan 2000 for approx £3500

The brightness rating is between 500ASNI for the early models and later 600 ANSI lumens for those with the newer lamps. There are no published figures for the contrast ratio.

Inputs are composite video (via phono connector) and the usual 4pin for S-video. There is also a 15pin D input for use with computer signals.

The projector can be either ceiling or table top mounted.

Compared to the competition at the time (Sharp Z60? @ £4000) the SLC600 offered better black detail and good colour rendition. The Genesis scaling chip ensured that the picture was free from artifacts that plagued the Davis Cinema 1.

Projector technology has moved on since then. The PLV30 and Toshiba MT1 are pretty exceptional and offer superior performance on black detail, add 16:9 mode and digital keystone from smaller quieter boxes that cost less.

However, IMO a good S/H SLC600 will beat any new projector under £1500 and even give some of the more expensive models a good run for their money.

Well worth a look.

Regards

3. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris,

Many thanks for a detailed reply! I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow. Two more questions, does the SLC600 have a 16:9 mode and are parts still available for it i.e. spare bulbs etc?

Thanks again,

Gee :D

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Parts are available, but the projector has no 16:9 mode. Set your player to 4:3 Letterbox and try that.

Regards

5. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Chris,

The image from the SLC600 was excellent! I was well impressed. Like you said; I'm not going to get anything better for the money. I think I'll go for it, I've just got to finish converting my cellar!

Thanks for all your help! :D

Gee.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Glad you were pleased.

Good luck with your plans.

Regards