1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SELECO Sim2 HT 200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by component-man, Apr 14, 2001.

1. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looking at upgrading to the SIM2 HT 200, Are there any members who have one and if so, are you happy with the performance? My room dimensions are 7FT 4" x 26FT. Also, what screen would you recommend fot it (size & spec) please? Lastly, do you notice the "rainbow effect" on the screen? I saw a demo today and I noticed the flashes of "rainbow" effect occasionaly. Otherwise, I'm really impressed with the picture quality.

2. CINEPHILE

CINEPHILE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component Man

I too am intending a major upgrade to my AV System and am considering the SIM2. If you have not visited their web site yet then I can thoroughly recommend it - WWW.SIM2.IT .

I recently viewed a demo at my local Sevenoaks. The set-up was sort of OK, but could have been better. The 800 ANSI Luminens is my only major concern with the SIM2. If I could have been assured of a more competent install by the Hull-based Sevenoaks for the demo, then I would know which way to decide i.e. is it the machine or is it set-up? The brightness levels meant black seemed like very dark grey!

I would never buy from Sevenoaks anyway as they are 1. Overpriced and 2. Full of technical rhetoric - often reciting specifications for the sheer hell of confusing the customer. I have to say however that they are still better than the Dixons and Curry's of this world!

Anyway, my proposed new system upgrade is as follows:

SIM2 Projector - from Panasonic 36" PF10.
    Bryson Amplifier & Processor (or Meridian) - from Yamaha DSPA2.
    Upgrade to M&K THX Ultra Speakers - from M&K THX Select.
    Mclaren DVD (or Sony 9000) - from Sony 7700

If anyone has comments on this spec. or alternative recommendations with this medium to high-end kit, then I would appreciate your feedback!

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    From my experience of Sevenoaks I must say that they are not consitent due to the "franchise" nature of the business. Some are exceptional and others very poor.

As for the black level issue. The dem rooms I've seen in these shops are generally painted a light magnolia colour or such like. This is not conducive to getting a good black level, even although it's very similar to most folks situations. The bright reflective nature of the walls allows the reflected light to bounce back on to the screen washing out the image and making blacks look lighter than they should.

Of all the DLP's I've seen the HT200 has the best blacks I've seen. If it isn't good enough for you then you may have to consider crt.

My only comment on the system upgrade would be that if you are going to go with the TAG DVD32r you should consider partnering it with an AV32r. The sync-locking jitter reduction between these two units should, imho, provide the highest quality of surround sound processing currently avaiable, for any price. You should obviously have a listen for yourself.

StereoStereo are a TAG dealer and not a Meridian one. We are a Bryston dealer and we are a SIM2 dealer. I say this not to attract business but so that you can all take my opinion at face value.

Gordon

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't worry about 800 ANSI Luminens unless you aren't able to control light in the viewing room. This should be done to some extent with any viewing medium, Tv,plasma, projector etc. External / refected light always reduces quality of picture.

Sevenoaks dealership are well summed up by Gordon. I used to get excellent service from Carlisle but my experience with the Glasgow outfit are appaling. Local knowledge needed.

Either the projector wasn't set up correctly (highly probable in my experience) or you are a CRT kind of Guy. The Simm is one of the best of the bunch re blacks.

[ 15-04-2001: Message edited by: Nic Rhodes ]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people can see the rainbow effect and some people can't. If you see it once you will always see it!!

People who wear glasses are more susceptible to seeing it also, something to do with the way the light passes through the lenses ????

Any problems should be solved by autumn though so all is not lost, at least that's what I've heard ?

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bonkers about AV Man,

The Hull projector is only running composite video at the mo (they don't have the s-video break-out box at the shop for some reason).

Considering it's composite I would expect it to produce a very good image via S-Video.

However, you CAN tell it's only SVGA and not XGA - you have to stand quite far back before the pixels are not evident.

It doesn't help that they tend to use Sky for demos either !!!!

7. Scart2RGB

Scart2RGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HT200 for 2 months now, and its great. My room is 18'(l) x 13'(w), and I project onto a 7ft wide screen with no problems, however I do go the full length of my room. The long throw lens can be a problem to some installations.

I got my motorised screen from Promotiviations, cheap and chearful, no gain
    didn't seem to have the benefits for the increase cost.

I have had many people (20+) view movies on the system, and not one has seen anything of a rainbow effect - just a fantastic quality image, from a cool looking unit. If I have a negative comment, it would be related to the noise - its not whisper quiet as a CRT (unless you are looking at an Ellie - the fans on that are comparable in volume). If image quality is your bag - you'll have a hard time beating the HT200.

8. AVMAN

AVMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GORDON
    STEROSTERO
    THIS IS SEVENOAKS IN BIRMINGHAM,REGARDING YOUR MESSAGE TO BONKERS ABOUT AV.THANKYOU FOR THE COMMENT ABOUT THE FRANCHISES WE ARE A FRANCHISE AND WE THANK YOU , KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    AVMAN: Having read your flurry of posts today I had assumed you were a dealer.

No problem about clearing up the all Sevenoaks are crap thing. I've mentioned this before in other threads.

I think I should point out that it's considered a "bit off" to write in block capitals all the time. Folk think of it as SHOUTING. The other dealers here also have a signature file for their posts which lets folk know who they work for. That way there can be no ambiguity about why they like product A over product B.

You have mentioned in a few threads that folk contact Adam at Sevenoaks. I guess that's you. Perhaps you could modify your profile with a suitable signature.

All the best,

Gordon

[ 02-05-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

10. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Gordon,

were you ever in the diplomatic core ?

;) ;) ;)

11. AVMAN

AVMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

New to all the internet thingy,didnt know i was shouting so ill be quiet now.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rainbow Effect.

I viewed the Seleco HT200 at Sevenoaks - impressive picture quality but the rainbow effect gave me a headache after just a few minutes. Some people seem more susceptible than others but I have ended up opting for a CRT as i couldn't tolerate the Rainbow effect on what would otherwise be a fantastic DLP projector.

Paul Mathers