1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SELECO CRT .320 350p or400

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MUD, Jul 21, 2001.

1. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI everybody.
    HAVING had two lcd projectors in the past two years I am now going to go CRT. after reading topics HERE AND USA.I have spent more time making hush boxes painting my screen grey going back to white problems with dust. DONT get me wrong.I have enjoyed it but how it time to sit back and enjoy the FILMS. I know nothing is perfect and it all in the end about cash and what space you have. can someone tell me which of the above I have £4000 punts to spend.
    REGARDS MUD. :D

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    MUD,

Have you looked at The M2N site? They have some very nice and well priced Barco's for sale, starting at around £2600 for an 808.
    Well worth a look.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Of the three the 400 is the one to get. However as thx says go look at some s/h units from somewhere like M2N.

If you are using a 16:9 screen and want to watch some 4:3 material on it make sure your chosen projector has enough adjustment range in its horizontal and vertical size to allow this. If you are looking at something like an 808 you'll also want to add on a video processor to eliminate scan lines. This would also be able to do the aspect ratio control tricks for you, if you chose wisely.

Hope this is a little use.

Gordon

4. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI.
    GORDON and PHIL.
    THANKs for your replys. COULD CHRIS FROST. tell me where I could go for seleco here in DUBLIN or could I buy direct from OWL. then the job is can I install crt myself. as I must have this floor mounted as this is also my lounge and I would never get away with this on the ceiling.can the 400p do prossive scan.also GORDON I dont under stand about video processer.also are the BARCO bigger in size as I dont think I get away with it. REGARDS JOE.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Joe: Chris is on holiday. Owl have an Irish rep I think. Yes 400 does progressive, the others don't. They don't do 400 anymore though. You need 420.

Barco 808 is much bigger but somehow looks nicer due to design IMHO.

You could install yourself and then get professional to do geometry and convergence.

Gordon

6. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GORDON
    THANKs again for your help.is this now called 400plus and has anybody got this. I have got some emails about s/h but the trouble is I live in DUBLIN.I can get a 350plus which is within my range new. I am now waiting for a price on the 400p.
    JOE. :D

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Joe: The 400 became 400plus but is now discontinued. They do the 420/500/800....

If you do a search for posts by Chris Frost you should find one from the last fortnight where he confirms price for this unit in UK.

Gordon

8. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    MUD, I would make sure you see a 350 before going ahead with it as you might find you can't live with the scan lines. To get an idea what I'm on about go and sit one and a half times the screen width away from your TV and you will see what I mean (not a perfect comparison but gives you an idea).

The 400 has a line doubler which fills in the missing lines and should give a more satisfying picture.

Projectors like the barco don't have a doubler built in. They are essentially the same as a PC monitor and can display PC resolutions You need to get a seperate processor to scale the image to the right resolution to suit the projector, size of screen etc. Quadscan, Vigatec, Rock are some of the processors that could be used.

Garry

9. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MUD

Another option is the Ellie. It's a very compact unit and gives a fabulous picture for the money. It's available in white or black case and has a cracking built in scaler. I have no link with the Ellie just happened to think it was very good, I had a Seleco SDG700 (similar to the SVD800) at the time and in terms of picture quality, using S-Video there wasn't much in it. If picture quality is your main criteria then I would go for a Barco 808 and live with it's size.

10. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI GARRY.
    I taught that changing over to crt was going to be simply going out and buying one. I have now read that with the 420plus you need to buy a inscan costing about £1000 punts I have got a price for the projector £5630 punts .also can anybody that has the 420p is there fan noise as bad as crt and crt give true widescreen like sony ht10.REGARDS JOE. :confused: :confused:

11. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI GORDON /GARRY
    Again thanks for your replys I am getting a demo of a crt 350p just to see whats it like I have only seem them in pubs so this will give me a idea what it is like both in picture and size in my sitting room THE company will get me a 420p if I like the crt.THEY told the it has to have prossive scan fitted in factory in ITALY. GARRY I know BARCO are the best but in size I would just not get away with it from the other half.I also may look again at s/h if I could be sure of what I was getting.

REGARDS MUD.
    :) :)

12. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I am aware the 400+ which I have has to upgraded to accept progressive scan I don't know about the 420.
    My barco accepts Prog\scan and the picture compared to 15hz is much improved but considering the internal doubler, which is easier to use and works on all inputs and sources ie not only on component NTSC,I never sent mine for upgrade as I didn't see any major improvemnet especially as the wife uses the 400 as our telly and hence the easier the setup the more time I get on the forums
    Cheers