1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Seleco and progressive again

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vixpy, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I 've got my component cable all set up now, it works fine on interlaceced but when i set the output to progressive scan and set my projector (400 plus (i think!)) to the 31K-34K all i get is a green image, no red and no blue. does my projector not accpet prog scan or am i just being thick!

ta

Charlie

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    If you're getting a green picture then I think you have either selected an RGB input or there's some problem with the output at the DVD player end.

What sockets are you connecting from out of the player?

Do you need to change any menus on the player to make progressive scan work via Component outputs?

Press AV/0 on the projector. Which input are you selecting on the 400? What is the actual text for that input?

Regards

3. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I had exactly the same problem with mine... I bet you're getting the green image by selecting the final option from in input menu - BNC 32 or whatever it's called.

I *think* that input setting is for prog scan from something like an Iscan with RGBHV connections. Select Y Cr Cb instead and you'll have a full colour image. My dvd player was outputting a progressive signal, and the image quality was superb - I think it was progressive. ;)

Andy

4. vixpy3

vixpy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had some account difficultys so sorry about the name change!

I'm connectiong the red green and blue componenent outputs from th dvd player ( an HK DVD25) to 6 7 and 8 on the projecotr, If i select YCrCB on the projector i get a great image but its not progressive, when i switch the dvd player to show progressive i gte two screens side by side, and if i select BNC 31K - 34K i get just a green image (but stable!)

Also i have a very faint green and blue band running down the left of the screen about an 1 inch dia each, i think this is the player but ahs anyone any ideas?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Do you not have a YPrPb 15KHz and a seperate YPrPb 32Khz input?

Have you tried turning off the internal Upconvertor when using the YPrPb input?

6. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, i have no Yprpb inputs, i'm thinking that although that my projector can't accept pro scan, it might be an HT and not a plus

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    VIXPY. I guess seleco call it YCrCb.......use that input and turn off the UPC in the pj by pressing UPC on remote. DOES THE DOUBLE Picture go away and leave a PScan image or what happens....

Gordon

8. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Silly question, but does the pj actually say PLUS on the back of it? Mine did. It was a 1999 machine. To be fair yours is behaving exactly like mine did.

I still suspect (though concede Chris and Gordon's knowledge of CRT technology puts mine to shame) the correct input setting is Y Pr Pb (I don't know where I got those Cs from earlier). When you select the 32Khz setting the pj is looking for an RGB signal on the BNCs, and it's getting component instead, hence the green image.

A Q for the experts... What happens when a progressive output is sent to a non-progressive device? I can't understand how I was able to view the progressive output of my DVD player on the Y Pr Pb input if it wasn't actually progressive.

In any event I suggest you look out for an Iscan Pro, they change hands for ~£225 2nd hand. It'll make a world of difference and will work for sure on the 32khz input. :)

Andy

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Progressive into a non-progressive capable display will show either the side-by-side image or the display will mute the picture.

Seleco had an active upgrade policy for 400 owners. Depending on the age of the machine you could have the AKB line mod', Component input board mod', or the Progressive Scan input mod'. The last of the 400's produced by the factory came fully loaded. Andy, if I've correctly understood what you wrote, your PLUS was taking a standard non-progressive component signal and then line doubling it via the internal Up Convertor (UPC). Progressive/non-progressive componnent goes into the same sockets.

Vixpy, do me a favour. Press AV/0 and then write down all the inputs in that menu. Then post that info here. OK :)

BTW, the Up Convertor is bypassed whenever a progressive scan signal is used. Switching UPC on or off won't make a difference.

Regards

10. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    No, what I was saying was the only way I could display a watchable image from my dvd player's PS component output was while the chosen AV selection was Y Pr Pb. My DVD player is a Toshiba 510 which ouputs a progressive signal on NTSC. When I selected the 32khz input my image was green like Vixpy's.

Because the DVD player was outputting a progressive NTSC signal I assume that's what the pj was displaying. To be utterly honest I had already sold the Iscan and was just hooked up the dvd player this way in order to give a 10 minutes demonstration to the pj's current owner. It is possible I've got my facts wrong somewhere!

11. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    inputs as follows:

1) scart/ vid 1
    2) vid 2
    3) scart/ s-vhs
    4) scart/rgb
    5) s- vhs
    6) ycrcb
    7 BNC 15K
    8) BNC 31-34K

turning the upc off makes no difference.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Looks to me like you need an Iscan Pro or a transcoder. What is your DVD player?

Input 8 is the correct one but I suspect it only accepts an RGB signal. The Y part of the compenent signal carries all the black and white info with detail in it. That is fed to the G BNC on your PJ which is why you are seeing a detailed GREEN image at present

Chris will have the full answer on this

Gordon

13. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Your projector can not accept a progressive component input.

An upgrade kit was available which included Video Card, sync processor card and modifications to input board and tube bases.

Regretfully, this kit is no longer available, so your best solution is to use what Gordon suggested and that is an outboard processor.

As the 400 can only handle 480p and 576p it is pointless to spend money on a fancy scaler, I would suggest something like the iscanpro which is exceedingly good value for money these days or one from Lumagen, i'm sure Gordon can advise you which is the correct one to go for.

Regards

Alan Roser
    Managing Director
    SIM2 UK Ltd

14. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like iscanpro it is then, Thanks all for your help!

the Dvd player is an HK DVD25

15. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just a note to say there's one of those on the classifieds board - £230 inc.

HTH

Andy