1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco 500: what is the "Sweet Spot"?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by drago.d, Jan 26, 2005.

1. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have read that each model CRT pj has it's "sweet spot", where the resolution and refresh rate are at their optimum for that pj.

Would anyone know what that would be for my Seleco 500 (SVD, I think)

Would this then be a consideration when looking at scaler/doubler options to use with the pj? :confused:

cheers,

drago.d

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    My recommendation to you is to invest in a scaler that is capable of driving the projector at a line doubled rate with the projector set in 16:9 mode all the time.

Although the SVD500 won't scan much higher than line doubled rates, it has very good lenses and high bandwidth tube bases. This means it is capable of resolving more detail than its maximum scan rate would suggest. You can set the projector to Wide mode and the scan lines won't overlap. So you really want to be driving the projector in Wide mode all the time and let the scaler handle switching from 16:9 to 4:3 to Letterbox. An iScan HD would be perfect.

Regards

3. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Chris,

thanks for that :thumbsup:

No need for higher refresh rates then (if that's the correct term) i.e. 75Hz etc?? Stick to line doubled, Wide mode, and enjoy?

cheers,

drago.d

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi drago.d, By all means try higher refresh rates to see if you think it makes a difference. The projector will go up to 120Hz, though you may need to tweak the convergence a bit.

But to be honest I think you'll be very happy sticking to line doubled at 50 or 60Hz. As you say 'sit back and enjoy' :thumbsup:

Regards

5. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Interesting thread - I guess I could be missing the best with my D50 running it from an Iscan Pro - Chris, would I gain anything by upgrading to a scaler? Thanks for your help on ebay the other day with my Seleco remote btw :smashin:

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    klr10, you're welcome. I see you got quite a bit of action in the last few minutes of the auction too :smashin:

Anamorphic video will look the same via an iScan HD as it does through an iScan Pro. The real benefit of the scaler is when you're watching Letterbox video.

Anything that's non-anamorphic is going to show scan lines when using a plain line doubler; even a good one like an iScan Pro. Changing to a scaler that has aspect ratio control you get the ability to convert low resolution LB to something that looks more like a higher resolution anamorphic film. There's no increase in real resolution of course, but the picture looks a lot smoother. If you've got quite a few letterbox transfers, or a big LaserDisc collection, then this path could breath new life into your films.

The D50 is a touch softer than an SVD500 but you could still get the benefits.

Regards

7. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Chris, I think I'll stick with my Iscan in that case. :)

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107