1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco 500 plus intermittent fault (screen goes blank)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peteclarke, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteclarke

peteclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'd just to like to start by saying that I'm new to this forum, but from what I have read so far I am very pleased I have discovered it. I've already unearthed lots of useful information in past threads.

Anyway, my problem is with my Seleco 500 SVP plus. I've had the projector installed about 5 years, last serviced a couple of years ago when the tubes were replaced (while still under warranty, thankfully!). Recently a fault has developed where the image will just go blank (as though the tubes have just turned off) but the projector stays on, screen stays down etc. Then if you turn it off, leave it for a couple of hours (or occasionally it needs to be left overnight) it will be fine again next time it is switched on. This is now happening more frequently and I fear may be about to happen for the last time (ie it will stop working altogether).

Sadly, I'm a little skint at the moment so thought I would do some investigation before having to shell out any cash. Any thoughts on what this could be and how expensive it might be to fix. It seems to me (and I have no real experience here so just a hunch) that the projector is switching some kind of safeguard to protect itself (overheating). Thought it might be overheating, but the times it has turned off don't seem consistent with this (ie have made sure everything is well ventilated and it will still do the same thing). Sometimes it is happy to be on for hours on end. So I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thought I'd ask here as if it is a common/probable cause then I would be very appreciative of any theories or advice,

Thanks in advance

Pete

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    first thoughts - check the seating of all the plug-in cards and ribbon cables inside the projector.

Normally if these are loose then the projector will go into protection mode and shut down completely, but its worth checking and it free so give it a go.

Next, call the service department at Owl and ask if they've had other 500s do the same thing. What was the cause and solution. Owl tel: 01825 766123

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.