1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco 400+ Help Needed -Chris Frost?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jlcrawford, Jun 22, 2001.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought my CRT new in August 1998 and all was fine.After about 10 months it developed an intermittent fault in that when turned on from standby mode the led on the rear did not turn green (ie stayed orange), and the fans seemed to be running at half speed - at least half sound anyway.The tubes do not fire up and no picture is displayed as the projector seems to cycle through a process closing down and restarting every 20-30 seconds.
    If I turn off from the mains and wait a while when the power is turned on it fires up and all is Ok.I
    I believe I got a two year warranty so I rang OWL but was told that if I shipped it to them ,and it worked OK, it would simply be returned to me untouched and as the fault was infrequent I waited for the problem to become permanent.
    Now it is occuring every other time I turn the CRT on but has done this in the past once and then just retuned to infrequent.
    Has anyone any ideas?
    I have got just over 1000 hours of use on it so it has not really been overworked and the tech dept at OWL cant diagnose the problem.

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Jeff,

I had a simelar problem with a 320. This only started when I auditioned a large Velodyne sub. The projector would shut down every so often, the vibration in the room seemed to trigger it off. I got rid of the sub, and the problem went away, don't know whether there is any link but I thought I would mention it. Alan did kindly offer to look at it, but as the problem went away, I didn't bother. Maybee the Seleco power supply switch is temperamental? don't know if this is a common thing.

Regards Rob.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Jeff,
    The Owl service department are happy to look at any Seleco projector, but your dealer should always provide "first line" service before the machine is removed and returned.

The most common fault is a loose connection on a plug-in board called the protection circuit. Simply pushing the protection board back in to its slot cures this. After this, any good dealer would check the seating of the two daughter boards in the power supply circuit.

When a projector is returned to Owl our engineers push home the connections on these boards before they power up the projector. We often find that this cures minor problems which is why a high proportion of machines are returned with no fault found.

Ask your dealer to check these boards. You may find this solves your problem.

Regards

4. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Chris I bought from Sound Academy Nr Walsall and I live in Hartlepool nr Midlesborough.
    My first phonecall when the problem started was to the dealer who immediately gave me OWL's tel no and told me that they have no tech knowledge.
    I did the install myself and have just successfully changed a tube on my recently bought Barco so if you give me a little more info as to the location of the various boards etc I can have a check myself before returning the unit to yourselves if this proves not to cause the problem.
    Anyway thanks for the prompt reply.

Rob my CRT never goes off whilst running and I usually start it up B4 any of the other equiptment so it can't be the same prob but thanks anyway

5. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too had the same problem for the first time tonight on my 400 plus, it occured when i changed some of the plugs on the plugboard to plug a strip light in. when i took the strip light out and plugged the projector back into its original socket everthing returned to normal. it could just be a coincedece but if it happens agian i will report here.

6. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read back to through the posts and seen the one about the sub, could it be something to do with interfence in the electrical supply or the projector not being able to draw enough current? both a sub and strip ligt draw alot of power. any thoughts?

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Chris has a point guys. Most CRT's are board based. That is to say there are quite a few circuit boards that are like cards that slot in.
    Sometimes (particularly if they are upside down, ie ceiling mounted projectors) they can come loose and need to be re-seated. Of course a subwoofer is great at shaking these things loose from their slots and is often one of the culprits.

Eric