Seleco 350 setup query

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyFov

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having recently downgraded from a 400 to a 350 (the baby was worth it though) I'm a bit confused re the setup of the 350.

Having had Gordon make a fine job with the 400 previously, I slyly picked up a few pointers, and felt prepared to dive in and have a go setting up this one myself. I figured that if push came to shove, Gordon would only be 500 miles or so away. ;) Anyway, all went surprisingly well, though I was lucky in that the bracket for the 400 could be used with the 350, and it was still bolted exactly where I needed it. Anyway, I've only encountered one problem...

The manual says I need to setup and save defection settings for each input. I had initially done one which I was happy with, and while there was a slight difference between the dvd & digibox input, it wasn't enough to bother me.

I recently bought a Gamecube and have connected that to the projector directly by RGB Scart. The image was way too small, so I entered the deflection menu, and increased the image size so it filled the screen in proportion. This has affected the image of the ither inputs too though.

While typing this, I think the penny may have dropped. Should I have saved the new deflection settings to a vacant memory bank?

There's just one other slight niggle, in scenes where the image is predominantly bright, scenes with a lot of sky in them for instance, the outer eight inch perimeter of my screen is brighter and less red than the inner square. I assume the previous owner of this projector was using a woefully small proportion of the available raster, and duller redder inner but has had more wear. As this projector has only done 1100 hours, can I expect this problem to even out over time? It's not a *real* cause of distress, but obviously I'd like things a little more uniform across the screen if possible.

I was thinking of getting my old BBC B from the attic, and writing a little program that'd really work the areas of the screen that have had little use previously. The brighter edges are apparent on all three guns. It'd not take much effort. Would it be a bad idea?

Any help appeciated...

TIA

Andy

Originally posted by AndyFov
The manual says I need to setup and save defection settings for each input.

No! Store new deflection settings for each new signal. How the signal gets into the projector is irrelevant. eg a multiregion DVD player could give you four different signals via one input socket. PAL & NTSC versions of 4:3 and 16:9.

Gamecube...connected by RGB Scart. The image was way too small

How does the image look on a 4:3 TV. Is it small there too?

Should I have saved the new deflection settings to a vacant memory bank?

A 350Plus can store a maximum of 4 distinct individual convergences. These are usually NTSC 4:3, NTSC 16:9, PAL 4:3, PAL 16:9. [4:3 is store as a Normal aspect ratio flag, 16:9 as Wide] The Letterbox and Cinema aspect ratios can be used to store slight variations of (Center adjustment and Blanking, and also the picture settings (Brightness, Contrast etc). The Small aspect ratio can be used as another 16:9 AR.

A standard 350 (not the Plus version) is a little more limited.

the outer eight inch perimeter of my screen is brighter...can I expect this problem to even out over time?

This isn't going to even out. The BBC idea would work. Just be careful not to get the image too close to the edges of the tube. They could overheat. Also, monitor the progress very carefull - but I'm sure you would anyway.:)

Regards

Ok, the one deflection setting per signal instruction is clear now, and it does make sense, thank you.

Having since found the Gamecube has a deflection setting of its own (horizontal shift) I've centralised the image from that, and that's looking better, albeit a tad on the small side.

I'm beginning to suspect that I'm perhaps using too much of the raster, in tv broadcasts for instance I see the entire chequred blob they put in the corner of the screen to signal the adverts. I think I need to increase the size of everything, then use blanking to trim the periphery of the image.

I'll have a another play when I get a minute, and will see if I can find an acceptable compromise.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom