seleco 350. . I think I killed it this time

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JonnyP, Mar 20, 2006.

1. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im pretty new to CRT projectors, and I think I've just done something a little stupid...

Basically I bought a Seleco 350 off eBay a little while ago, and have had problems all the way, ranging from silly (couldn't find the jacks to switch to flip it from ceiling to desktop installation) to annoying (software version 2.01, had two hours of run time before it died and I had to get hold of v2.13). But this time its entirely my fault.

this time it kept flickering a lot (even the menues) as if it was being shaken, I found a thread describing exactly the same problem, the first suggestion was cleaning the boards and contacts, the second to get the sync processor board looked at, I opted for cleaning the boards, which I did and It worked :thumbsup: go me, unfortunately when returning to put all the casing back on I couldn't quite work out how the hell the big metal plate marked 'DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE' fitted in, I kinda jiggled it around until it seemed to be in some sort of position... alas when I turned the projector there was a pop noise, and I saw a spark just between the green and red CRT lenses. I think in my slap dash aproach to trying to make the plate fit I must have shorted something, however I can't see what shorted ( I can only see heatsinks which the plate could have touched, and as yet haven't found any burn marks). There wasn't a very nice smell from the switch/plug area of the inside afterwards, I'm not sure if its linked. Nothing happens now when I switch the power switch.

Please tell me I've only blown an internal fuse, or at least something easily repareable/replaceable.

The other problem that I was about to try and tackle before this happend was the fact that the red and blue signals appeared to be switched, which seems just odd to me, looked odd too, everyone in war films had blue blood.

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh dear... some of those heatsinks under that plate are live and it sounds like you've definately fried something.... It's going to be difficult to figure out exactly what is gone as well. Without the plate in place (and standing back please!!!) do any of the LEDs come on on this board? - if not, it's pretty likely that you've burnt out the fuse in the plug... If you've done that, I very much doubt that that is all you've done!

BEFORE you just replace it and plug it in again... look for anything obvious like a mislaid screw or something that might be causing a short....

The PJ will run without the plate in position, but don't go anywhere near it while it is on (and be very careful when it is off) there are still lethal voltages hanging about down there in capacitors.

Be very careful - always keep one hand behind your back (even when it's off so voltage doesn't go through your heart) and wear some nice rubber slippers or whatever you think might protect you...

3. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I second that, very easy to do on a Seleco.

use a torch to look for the evidence - ALSO check you did not cut any wires with the cover - there are a few at the back there.......

4. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Jonny P - you should think about adding your location in your profile.

will help if there are any local guys to you.

5. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked for loose screws and switched the mains lead over, and still nothing, nothing clicks or sounds and no LED's come on. It doesn't look like its drawing any current what so ever.
    I do remember when it was working there would be a blue spark from one of the on switch contacts, was that normal?
    I'm guessing i've blown something in one of the tranformers. Can't get my head round the idea of a live heatsink but still, my experience in electronics starts and ends with audio amplifiers.
    It sounds like I was lucky to escape this time with a regular heart beat, when I get some time I'll try dismantaling the thing further and looking for any boards with fried conponents, on first glance the front board looks fine, but its hard to tell with the lenses still in place.

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    STOP RIGHT THERE !!!

In the IEC connection (mains lead) at the back of the projector.....

THERE IS AN EXTERNAL FUSE in the IEC housing....

Checked that yet?

the entire IEC connector on the PJ is plastic - look at where the lead goes in.......the last 10mm of plastic going towards the side of the case are an integral fuse holder of the IEC connector.......

So flow of power as follows

Mains socket on wall - check for supply there (Yes its an idiot guide so I can understand!)
    plug top fuse check it, dont just change the lead, how do you know the new lead is fine.....
    Fuse on rear of PJ
    THEN power goes via switch - check it has continuity when on - a large power spike could kill the switch.
    direct to the SMPS board....

I would remove all connectors going out from the SMPS in case there is SMPS damage, you dont wanna fry good boards....

If all is well then the SMPS should at least power up into standby mode......think you needs mother board connected for full power up.....

See if that helps.

7. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the fuse in the IEC housing.

It all powers up, the tubes light up and the dashes at the top of the display appear, however the tubes dont seem to be recieving any video signals. At the moment its just projecting static and nothing changes it, the LEDs at the back indicate that it is recieving the remote control signals but nothing appears on the display and nothing seems to change.when I plug in different inputs or use the buttons at the back. Not even the image adjustment pots do anything to change the shape of the static being projected.

There was a small burn mark on the underside of the front protective metal plate but appart from that I can't see any obvious damage on anywhere else, I think the plate shorted the large black heat sink at the front of the projector to ground and thats what blew the fuse.

8. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Use the remote, can you get things like con/col/bri to display...

What about the menu screens?

9. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the static doesn't change, the menus don't appear nor do the con/col/bri displays
    The units LED's do flash with button presses from the remote however.

10. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect you may have fried the nvram... (the logic brain chip) - if you can hang on till tuesday I might have something to try - just need to be sitting in front of my 350.

11. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd only just replaced the NVRAM chip a few weeks ago as it had the dodgy old software on it, typical. How could I test wether its definietly just the NVRAM chip thats fried?

The other problem I was having with the projector just before it blew was that the red and the blue channels were switched, and I had no idea how to switch them round. One source seemed to only give black and white, but I can't remember which one.

12. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    WHAT???

Do you mean red and blue suddenly changed? or were like it all the time....

That sounds more like YOU connected it wrong.....

You can usually swop red and blue as the sync is on green so it will still work but wierd colours.....

Component and RGBHV you could get it wrong and it still work....

Composite / SVHS - Well that would be the PJ but you would have mis wired the RGB amos at a guess......