1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco 350 : Centering Raster on Faceplate??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TheFatBoy, Aug 20, 2003.

1. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just attained a Seleco SVP350. At the moment, I've put it underneath my coffee table, until I find a suitable table/hushbox to fix it in.

I spent a couple of hours last night setting it up, and while it looks good to me, I know it's not as good as it could be - I fully intend to have it set up by someone that knows what they're doing once it's fixed into its permanent position!

One thing I'm a little worried about - the more I read about CRT projectors, the more times I see a warning about making absolutely certain that the raster are centred on the faceplates, and that not doing so could cause the tubes to fail.

How can I make sure of that? Bit of a basic question, but I'm new to this, and don't want to break the thing!!

I watched a film on it last night and the image quality was lovely, knocked spots off my old LCD projector - am I right in assuming that beam energy isn't being directed onto the tube walls cos I've got a good picture?

2. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

you should centre the raster on each tube before you do the manual focus. The manual explains how to do this. If you do not have a manual go to the www.sim2.com site and download the maunual for the 420HB/500+. The focussing and convergence are the same as for the SVP 350.

After you have centred and maximised the raster on each tube face (making sure the brightness and contrast is turned down low so you don't get blinded when you look into the tube face), manually focus the green tube first. do not move it out of alignment though. Then loosen the blue and red crt lenses as indicated in the manual and move the lens and focus over the green so that the image is a white cross hair in the centre. That will give you the centre focus. then proceed as per the manual for the edge focus. When you maximize the raster - keep the corners at least 2-3mm off the edges of the tube face.

the convergence follows as per the manual and then the last thing you do is the apsect ratio setup and copy to memory as per the manual.

I assume you have the geometry setup relative to a flat screen PERFECTLY otherwise you will never get proper overall image focus and quality.

I also assume you will be using an RGB connection as this together with the correct signal input will make this little projector sing.

I know that with enhanced (anamorphic) 16:9 images from a PAL dvd the scan lines are almost invisible - and I only have the hybrid plastic lenses on my 350.

Its is a good little projector and doesn't drift as badly as some I have seen.

cheers

Bill

3. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help... I spent another 30 mins tweaking the image tonight, but it's still not operating anywhere near it's full capabilities...

I'm going to ask around for someone to set it up properly, I think.