1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seleco 350+ brightness fault?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gary g, Sep 13, 2005.

1. gary g

gary g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a seleco 350+ and I dont know if it has a fault or if its just the way they are,but the symptoms I got are;when a scene changes(usually to a brighter one)the image is fine for a couple of seconds then I get a 'stepping down'in brightness.there are about 4-5 stepping down increments about a second apart,the image is 'dimer'when it has done this and it appears to me that the brightness of the image before it does this is how it should be.as afterwards it appears a bit too low in brightness.its watchable but annoying. :thumbsdow

Has anyone come across this before?

Is it serious?

the projector is running perfectly apart from this.
    Any help much appreciated.

2. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is "Automatic Black Level" set to on in the VIDEO section of the set-up menu? This would cause the black level (or brightness) to adjust itself according to what was on screen. Worth checking ...

3. gary g

gary g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Bobbyblaze
    thanks will look at that over the weekend

this website needs a new dynamo......

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The problem is more likely to be that the Contrast is set too high, so the tubes are trying to draw more current than the Peak Limiter circuit will allow.

The Peak Limiter is there to stop Publicans frying the tubes if the whack up the contrast too much. For Home Cinema it isn't usually an issue. This sort of thing is all related to power.

The amount of power required is governed by the screen size you are driving, how hard the deflection and convergence controls are driven, and how high you have to push the picture settings to compensate for the age of the tubes. Did you set the projector up yourself? What are the deflection settings like? Most of them should be in the range 50-70.

The factory default setting for the Peak Limiter is a little on the conservative side. It's in the hidden Service menu, but before you dive in there you should have a look at the general set-up of your projector. When properly installed and converged on a reasonable sized screen the Peak Limiter should only kick in in the most extreme circumstances.

Regards

5. gary g

gary g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Guys
    thanks for the advice
    turning off the "ADAPTIVE BLACK"seems to have worked,picture is now stable on all scene changes.
    deflection settings are all between 50 & 70,
    seems to be spot on now.
    thanks very much.
    Gary

6. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Glad all is working :thumbsup:

Hey Chris,
    I just bought a Sony 1271 and it looks like I'm not going to get the opportunity to set it up until after Christmas (burly help needed). As a replacement is waiting in the wings, I wouldn't mind pushing my 350 a little harder whilst I'm twiddling my thumbs. Can you advise how to get into the service menu so I can try the adjustment you mentioned?

Cheers,

Rob