1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco 320+ setup questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shabbyroad, May 9, 2001.

1. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spent some time this weekend finally setting up my Seleco 320plus. The screen was finally installed last Friday (after months of waiting and cancelled appointments... :mad: ).
    The chap who was supposed to setup the projector still hasn't called (didn't turn up on Friday...) so I did it myself :p . With thanks to various forum members I think I've got a pretty good image.

My questions are related to "safe" deflection settings. Almost all of the deflection settings are set to 50 except for three.
    First is the deflection linear. I have this set to just over 50 vertical but have it at 70 horizontal (I guess the screen isn't centred to the projector...).
    Second is the size of the image. I have an 87" screen and since 99% of my viewing is 16:9 I decided to setup as large an image as possible and use the available screen space. In order to do this the vertical setting is almost at 70. The third settings is the keystone setting which is approx 66.

Will settings this high cause problems ? Or are they within safe limits ? I have read and have been told that extreme settings can impact long term quality and shorten the lifespan of the tubes.

Oh yeah, is there anything that can be done about that annoying white line that appears along the extreme top of the projected image ? (above the black bar at the top of the widescreen image). :confused:

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Those deflection setting sound perfectly normal, no need to worry.

The white line you see performs a very important function. It is called the AKB line and is there to allow the projector to monitor and maintain its colour balance over time. Without this line present, you would need an engineer to call once a year to recolour-balance your projector.

I have found that once its function is understood, most people forget it is there.

You comment that the line is visible over a widescreen image. Have you seen it over a 4:3 image?

Later projectors have the ability to keep the line "pinned" high. This mod can be added to older machines. Email me privately or speak to your local dealers about the AKB Line Mod. The projector can stay in place, all we need is one cicuit board returned to us.

Regards

3. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - I did a little more digging on the forum and saw your reply to someone else on the same topic (AKB line). I've mailed you requesting further info.

Unfortunately I'm stranded here in Dublin :( - the only Seleco dealer seems to deal in pubs/clubs and didn't want to come do a setup on a projector they didn't sell (even though I offered to pay whatever it cost).
    The chap who was to come out was coming from a different dealer and didn't have much experience with Seleco CRT per se but could have figured it out I'm sure.

I'm glad I did it myself, very rewarding experience. :)

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shabby,
    I was in exactly the same position with my 310. The people I bought it from, made a terrible job of setting it up. Eventually Chris came along (for a very fair fee) & re-set it up. Almost everything had been set wrongly.
    The AKB line did annoy the hell out of me too at first. I tried several times to get the fix that Chris mentions done. It involves taking a circuit board out (They'll talk you through it over the phone) & posting it to OWL. Costs about £100 :eek: Whenever I phoned, they didn't have one in stock though. 1 year later, I rarely notice it's there!