1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco 310 and HTPC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gary Lightfoot, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Is this combination possible? The SVP310 has RGBHV connectors on the back, so I was wondering if a progressive VGA input was possible. If not, what's the best way to get a good image from one of these?

TIA

Gary.

2. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The SVP310 can not display HD content Gary. I wish it could. Do I buy a DLP projector or a new CRT? CRT looks so good though.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Fortean,

Will component input give a reasonable image for 480/576 input?

Gary.

5. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi Gary,

When I first set up my Seleco I connected RGB, S-Video and Composite because I had no idea which would be better. I found the RGB to be better until I replaced the S-Video cable with a good quality one as I had been using a home made one. I couldn't tell the difference between RGB and S-Video but composite was not very good at all. I did the focus and convergence three more times over the next 2 years and still couldn't see a difference between the two.

Since then I have moved house and have only S-Video connected and a larger screen.

I may not be as discerning or as critical as you though. I also wear contact lenses that, whilst they give me 20/20 vision, do not really fully correct my eyesight.

My amp only switches composite and S-Video too.

I have recently been thinking of buying a DLP but every time I use the Seleco I am so engulfed in the experience I wonder why I would consider such a device.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I would agree with Fortean. S-video is very close to RGB/Component when using a decent source and good cables. There is slightly more noise in the picture with S, but in a blind test (yes, I know. Don't say it :rotfl: ) most people wouldn't notice without it being pointed out. If I were being ultra critical I'd say that RGB or Component gives a slightly better depth of image, but you could easily lose that with a poorer source.

Regards

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hey Fortean, you know a 4XX/500 would slot straight on to the 310 bracket :D

ohh...I might have started something now...:rotfl:

Regards

8. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I thought it might and I keep looking at that Seleco that Boy Lex posted a link to. I've never looked at another CRT since I bought the SVP-310. If you look you always find better, so don't look. I do like the idea of doing the convergence, something I do every 6 months, without having to poke around with a screw driver near a high voltage in the dark.

Chris, from your experience would there be a significant improvement from a 310 to a 400 plus? Then I too will be looking for the answer to Garys original question; "How do I get HTPC in to it?"

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    There must be a way of getting a signal into the RGBHV input, maybe using a converter or something? Though if s-video looks about the same I can see why it's not necessary.

How visible are scan lines on one of these?

Maybe Rolands Barco 808 will be a better bet if I get a whinch and make the loft hatch bigger. lol

Gary.

10. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Gary,

I only see scan lines on NTSC in both 4:3 and 16:9 modes. For PAL it's only in 4:3 mode. I tried to push it to it's limits so that I could keep it in 16:9 mode for everything and keep image height rather than width but there was not enough range available.

I must add though that I don't look for the scan lines, I just watch the film.

11. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yes, you would see quite a big improvement in the picture.

HTPC is easy if we're talking 4XX/500. It's simply VGA 15pin to 5 x BNC (RGBHV) - signal standard 32KHz RGB.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, is Gary is still trying to get HTPC into a 310? It's really not worth pursuing this route. It's easier and possibly cheaper to buy a DVD player and connect it directly (S-video/RGB/Component) than mess about converting a HTPC signal down to 15KHz. The other route is a data capable CRT - Seleco 4XX/500/700/800, Barco 6XX/7XX/8XX etc, NEC, and so on and so on...

12. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280

What an excellent idea, :smashin:

of course 4xx/500's dont come about often......

:devil: buy one :devil:

13. LexDay

LexDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris, From reading these forums I have learned that you have an abundance of knowledge when it comes to Seleco projectors.

I have oneinstalled at client site that is performing poorly and I am considering replaing it with an LCD projector as the location is a hotel bar and users really don't appreciate the quality of the projector in it's location.

I am looking for specs on the SVP-310. I was curious if you could point me in the right direction to find a manual or spec sheet.

The main thing I am looking for is how many lumens it outputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lex Day - lday@oetzsystems.com

14. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at the sticky at the top of the forums...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304818 if you're lazy...
    Click on Seleco info and there is an excel data sheet with all of this stuff in it. Thanks to Mr H for compiling it.

Make sure you budget for lamps if you are going down the LCD route.

15. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi Lex Day, LCD ANSI lumens doesn't really compare with CRT ANSI lumens. A good 310 produces about the same brightness as a 900-1000 ANSI LCD.

A 310 is pretty much perfect for bars and clubs. It's one of the few projectors that will survive in a smokey atmosphere. In what way is the CRT performance no good?

Regards

16. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,
    I just thought i might throw another option at you. I have a seleco 320+ (v. similar to the 310) and I can access all the media files on my computer by connecting an xbox via ethernet running XboxMediaCenter (greatest media centre in the world!). The great thing about using the xbox is that you can connect it anyway you like although in your case an RGB scart with the optical breakout box would be your best bet. This would ensure you had the best possible picture quality that the seleco could produce (miles better than s-video) along with 5.1 sound etc.

This system would easily allow you to access all music, movie and picture files on your PC with the added bonus that a (wireless) xbox controller makes a very nifty remote with all it;s analogue sticks and triggers:) .

If you would like anymore details, let me know.

Good luck,

Rob