Seiko vs Accurrist

dspit1664

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Agree it's to each persons choice however have to ask:
Which is a better watch Seiko or Accurist money/value/build. Which is better than the other ?

Need to get new watch old one broken (fossil) ;(

Cheers

I have always felt that the Seiko cases were better built, but I don't think there is much to chose between the movements these days.

I am currently wearing a Rotary Chronograph (The Navigator rip off) and it keeps time to within 5 seconds a month and has picked up very few scratches or dents in the 2 years I have had it. It feels solid and well built as well and only cost £35!

Pulsar are part of the Seiko family and offer good value with the same movements internally.

Mr.D said:
Seiko by a mile.

Know it's your view but care to elaborate as very interested in your thoughts? :)

Know it's your view but care to elaborate as very interested in your thoughts? :)

Been around a lot longer ; watch manufacturing was Seiko's initial business , they build there own mechanisms. Their cheaper range are regarded as good robust work horses ; seiko make about the cheapest true mechanical that is any good ( the 5). Their watches generally offer very good value for money at all levels and are technically very polished watches ( as good as any of the high end marques at that sort of price point).

Accurist are bulk made cheap as possible from outside suppliers (usually citizien these days) with over-inflated prices (personally think they look horribe too) . They never actually made the watches they put their name on.

Seiko is a proper watch ; accurist is argos country.

You'll find seiko mentioned on plenty of watch forums ; accurist very rarely.

You'll get a lot more fun and appreciation from a seiko. I'd wear a £50 seiko over a £100 accurist any day of the week.

Mr.D said:
Been around a lot longer ; watch manufacturing was Seiko's initial business , they build there own mechanisms. Their cheaper range are regarded as good robust work horses ; seiko make about the cheapest true mechanical that is any good ( the 5). Their watches generally offer very good value for money at all levels and are technically very polished watches ( as good as any of the high end marques at that sort of price point).

Accurist are bulk made cheap as possible from outside suppliers (usually citizien these days) with over-inflated prices (personally think they look horribe too) . They never actually made the watches they put their name on.

Seiko is a proper watch ; accurist is argos country.

You'll find seiko mentioned on plenty of watch forums ; accurist very rarely.

You'll get a lot more fun and appreciation from a seiko. I'd wear a £50 seiko over a £100 accurist any day of the week.

Thanks that very good information. I think I'm a convert. :smashin:

I recently bought a Seiko as a present:-

screenshot2012042120003.png

Compared to an Accurist I own for every day wear, the Seiko was in a different league to the Accurist. The Seiko felt like a solid and well-engineered watch, whereas my Accurist feels tacky. I was very impressed with the Seiko for £130.

Seiko, Accurist are the poor cousin compared!

Owning both brands i would agree that the Seiko just feels better quality in every respect, I was given this one for a valentines day pressie.

Obviously not this actual one, its not my video.

Last edited:
I bought a seiko titanium kinetic watch 19 years ago and wear it nearly every day. It keeps perfect time, still has the original bracelet strap, not a mark on the glass, and all its needed over the years is 2 new capacitors when it has failed to keep a charge.

Looked at buying a new one a few weeks ago but with my old one still so good managed to resist temptation, (for now anyway)

You ever seen James Bond wear an Accurist?

He's worn at least a couple of Seikos.

Seiko have been manufacturing their own watches, including cases and movements, in-house for many years. They are a very high quality watch manufacturer, but in the UK their easy and common availability has diluted the brand name somewhat. The fact that Tag Heuer use Seiko parts shows that Seiko are not the budget brand some consider them to be. That said, they make for most parts of the market, from the tens to many thousands of pounds, so they do make cheaper and lower quality watches for that market.

Accurist are not a bad make, but they are not in the same league as Seikos. At the Accurist end of the market perhaps you wont see a night and day difference, things are done to a price here, but I'd still bet on Seiko for a higher quality and longer-lasting product.

I bought a seiko titanium kinetic watch 19 years ago and wear it nearly every day. It keeps perfect time, still has the original bracelet strap, not a mark on the glass, and all its needed over the years is 2 new capacitors when it has failed to keep a charge.

Ditto, although it has picked up a few marks here and there but is still on its original capacitor.
Used to be my working watch until my Longenes needed a new battery and, ahem, got too tight for my wrist :blush: and now I wear the Seiko everyday.

I also have an accurist and the difference in quality is night and day.

I think my next watch will be a Seiko. I really fancy one of their Monster dive watches. They just look the mutts.

For the money and quality I think Ian sold on Seiko just got to convince her indoors they are worth it as she is currently not too happy I want to spend £100-£200 on a watch even of it does look nice. I'll have to edumacate her or trade her in perhaps lol ;)

I think my next watch will be a Seiko. I really fancy one of their Monster dive watches. They just look the mutts.

Great watches for the money. The orange face one is particularly trendy at the moment.

I recently picked up a mint Seiko 7A48-5000 on ebay. It was the first watch i brought after starting work, but i lost mine in a burglary back in 98. The replacement cost twice as much as the original but i have to say despite having watches costing 10-20 times that of the Seiko it'll always be my favourite. I have my eye on one of their "spring drives" at the moment.

HotblackDesiato said:
I recently picked up a mint Seiko 7A48-5000 on ebay. It was the first watch i brought after starting work, but i lost mine in a burglary back in 98. The replacement cost twice as much as the original but i have to say despite having watches costing 10-20 times that of the Seiko it'll always be my favourite. I have my eye on one of their "spring drives" at the moment.

Will I barf at the price ? Say if I wanted to look at one ? Still perhaps I shouldn't ask as getting things past misses ATM is almost like 'Getting blood out of stone'

Oh wow ~£5k ?
But look great slightly out of my league.

Last edited:
I've had a Seiko for 6 years and still on the original battery great watch and never noticed any time loss.

I have the Seiko 5 Automatic Military like in the video. It's a lovely watch, but time keeping is terrible; mines runs way to fast within a week it's 5 minutes too fast.
I also have the Rotary mentioned above (Breiling ripoff), it's a brilliant watch just looks nice and quartz means good timekeeping, battery just died after 3 years. Need to get that sorted still.
Never had an Accurist, but have considered them through sheer patriotism as it's a British brand.

My grandfather's Seiko is an old mechanical wind up from the 70's (could be older), excellent watch and excellent build quality. Sadly they just don't make them like they used to.

The cheaper Seiko's are now manufactured in Hong Kong, the expensive ranges are still made in Japan. I think that is correct these days.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Seiko as a present:-

I am wearing one of these right now except mine has gold markings. I have it on a Bradystraps sailcloth strap and love it. You will see a few examples of modded versions of the above watch which bears a striking resemblence to a certain Blancpain piece.

I have the Seiko 5 Automatic Military like in the video. It's a lovely watch, but time keeping is terrible; mines runs way to fast within a week it's 5 minutes too fast.
I also have the Rotary mentioned above (Breiling ripoff), it's a brilliant watch just looks nice and quartz means good timekeeping, battery just died after 3 years. Need to get that sorted still.
Never had an Accurist, but have considered them through sheer patriotism as it's a British brand.

My grandfather's Seiko is an old mechanical wind up from the 70's (could be older), excellent watch and excellent build quality. Sadly they just don't make them like they used to.

The cheaper Seiko's are now manufactured in Hong Kong, the expensive ranges are still made in Japan. I think that is correct these days.

Mine is the KI version, so not made in Japan, interestingly though it keeps pretty good time, it loses about 5 seconds over 6 to 8 weeks so far, and best of all it was only £73 delivered from CreationWatches.

The seiko 5 is about the cheapest decent mechanical in the world ; considering they usually cost about £60 new 5mins a week is not unexpected for a mechanism at that cost level. And I'm pretty sure it could be made more accurate with a service.

Accurist is a company that sources it watches from other parties; its not really a watch brand at all.

Yes they do . The 5 is the cheapest mechanical out there. I'd still rather wear a 5 than a quartz. Quartz to me means a g-shock and be done with it.

I don't think its as clear cut as that; the HK subsidiary is not there specifically to deal with the cheaper ranges as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom