Sega Megadrive Arriving Tomorrow...What games to get??

M

mr_fantazmo

Yeah i know, couldn't help copy the thread title for the previous SNES thread.

So anyway, Used to have one of these many moons ago, just having trouble remembering the good games i had, apart from the obvious- Streets of Rage etc

Any reccomendations?

Altered Beast :rotfl:

Originally posted by mr_fantazmo
Yeah i know, couldn't help copy the thread title for the previous SNES thread.

:laugh:

Thinking of getting a megadrive too.

Road Rash was good, Sonic of course.

Sorry cant think of any at the moment

Try some of these:

Alisia Dragoon,
Sonic 2,
Hellfire,
Truxton,
Zero Wing,
Gynoug,
Ranger X,
Castle of Illusion,
Land Of Illusion,
Asterix,
Red Zone,
Ecco The Dolphin,
Any Streets Of Rage game,
Road Rash,
Pacmania,
Aleste (can't remember the right name),
New Zeland Story,
Colums,
Cool Spot,
Aladdin,
Darius II,
Dragon's Fury,
Gunstar Heroes,
Dynamite Headdy,
Thunderforce 3,
Thunderforce 4,
Gain Ground,
Raiden Trad,
Sparkster,
Rocket Knight Adventures,
Snow Bros and
Strider.

Sensi Soccer
Streetfighter 2 Turbo

(if you don't have them on other formats)

Herzog Zwei

naah if you want street fighter get a snes
it was realy bad on the mega drive
ill go with Geezer and say road rash and sonic 1, they are the reason everyone bought a MG :D
maybe out run too

Indeed Street fighter 2 was great on the snes, shall definatley have to track down a copy.

Cheers guys, some good reccomendations there! Road Rash, what a fantastic game that was, i remember first seeing it on Gamesmaster years ago. Looks like i'll have to do a bit of E bay shopping!!

I think i might have to get a snes now as well.

But will these consoles be as good as i remember them to be?

Probably not, but for £20 who cares

Solar

I feel duty bound to defend SF2 on the MegaDrive. I found the SNES version unplayable as it was ridiculously slow, along with the fact that the SNES six button pad did not support the game well at all.

Yes there are many who would argue that SF2 on the megadrive was better (me and my flatmate do!).

Personally, I believe the game was better on the SNES, although I do concede that the standard megadrive controllers are far better.

Yes these games are as good as you remember them :) I play emu games on my PC all the time :)

SFII Champion & Super SFII were infinatly better on the SNES, the standard edition is debatable

I think i'll have to go with the SEGA camp on this one, thought SF2 Champion Edition was a lot better, mainly due to the six button control pad. Although if i remember rightly the SNES one was a lot faster!!

Originally posted by mr_fantazmo
I think i'll have to go with the SEGA camp on this one, thought SF2 Champion Edition was a lot better, mainly due to the six button control pad. Although if i remember rightly the SNES one was a lot faster!!

I was sad enough to do a side by side comparison, MegaDrive on 10 * speed Hyperfighting, and the SNES on 7 * speed (I think that was the max with the cheat) Turbo edition. The MegaDrive was clearly quicker, although obviously it's not a case of the quickest is the best

Gunstar Heroes
Rocket Knight Adventures
Castlevania
Contra
Phantasy Star
Ghouls and Ghosts

Most of my favs have been mentioned.

I was hooked on PGA Tour II Golfing game and Flashback (I never completed it though).

Golden Axe 1 and 2 are my all time megadrive favourites.Ecco the dolphin is good too.(v.tough tho..)You could do a lot worse than check out any of the Bitmap Brothers' seminal Gods, Chaos Engine, or Speedball 2 games.

personal faves :-

Ghouls N Ghosts
Strider
Golden Axe
Crackdown
Outrun
Afterburner
Super Hang On
Mega Bomberman
Gauntlet IV (this is rare but an absolute must if you're a gauntlet fan - the multiplayer RPG part is class!!)
Micro Machines
Sensible Soccer
Hellfire (great horizontal shooter)
Tatsujin/Truxton (awesome vertical shooter)
Sonic 1 & 2
Super Smash TV
Moonwalker
Ms Pac Man
Hard Drivin'
Roadblasters
Streets of rage 1,2,3
Herzog Zwei

I'm sure there's more as well....great console, absolutely awesome machine in it's day and i'd still rather play many of the above than todays console games! You really felt that you were buying something in the days of cartridges - those were the days!

Quackshot - hours of platform fun.:D

Thunder Force IV - best horizontal shooter ever

Gunstar Heroes: fantastic 1 or 2 player co-operative platform shooter

All the Sonic series (1 to Knuckles): classic Sega games

Mega Bomberman: extremely funny and frantic 4-player action (with a multi-pad adaptor, 2 without)

Micro Machines 2 (or 3, I can't remember - the one with the tanks) - great racing game, again, best for multiplayer.

I liked Galaxy Force IV (but that's my opinion and it wasn't super popular as recall) - a 3rd person planet (and direction-ish) bound spaceship shooter.

That's it, really. I never got to play many games on the Mega Drive - I was too young in it's heyday to have enough money to get all the ones I wanted (or to even know that there were shops with that sort of thing in it)...

Desert Strike - (good game, if a little dubious given the current state of affairs)
John Madden
PGA Tour golf
cool spot
taz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom