Sega GT2002 out now... (X-Box only?)

Rob.Screene

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I noticed demo video running in-store a few days ago and had a hard time telling if it was GT3 Concept on the PS2, but the shrill noise of a Honda Integra Type-R gave it away as something different.

It certainly looks the part as a GT3 contender from the replays, but is the simulated handling and gameplay as hot?

If so, Sega GT2002 and Halo with an X-Box for £160 sounds really tempting! Might have to play Star Wars Rogue Leader through and sell the Gamecube!

Ref: http://sega.com/games/post_gamegame.jhtml?PRODID=10071

regards,
Rob.

There's a demo on the cover disk of this months xbox mag and it plays very well. Not sure on the handling yet as I have only had time for a couple quick goes. The general opinion is that it's the equal of GT3.

S

I'm a big fan of GT3 and racing games in general. My friend has an X-Box on which i played the Sega GT2002 demo. I liked it, but it did seem a little rough round the edges, possibly down to the fact it WAS a demo version. It they iron these little things out it could quite easily go head to head with GT3, but in my oppinion GT3 still wears the crown.

James.

(p.s. this is my FIRST post so hello folks.)

:)

I have the full version and don't the handling is as good as GT3 but then I've only driven the slow cars so far. Graphically and sonically it is pretty amazing though and there are a heap of cars that I don't think were in GT3.

i think the handling is fine on the in car view but i can`t play it with the car on screen.it`s same with GT3 strange.

I used to find that but I have got round it by rigging up an elaborate crane system whereby I hang in the air a few feet behind and above my road car. All controls are operated electronically via an old PSX controller. You get some funny looks and it's not fun in bad weather but it makes it much easier to play driving games.

S

I think the handling is as close to GT3 as you could get, the suspention seems a litle soft and the cars seem a little to unstable, but its a good game. I soon liked the game more when i found the traction and stabilaty control and turned them OFF.

The Scooby sounds awsome in the external veiw mode, just like the real thing, it makes you want to just drive that car.

I didn't find it as refined as GT3 personally... The handling isn't too bad to be fair and it is a solid racer. However I don't think the graphics are that great... Since we know the power of the Xbox it really doesn't pull any punches IMO against the rather old GT3. Of course atm I'm using an RGB scart cable but soon I'll be playing the game in progressive scan... Hopefully things will improve.

"The Scooby sounds awsome in the external veiw mode, just like the real thing, it makes you want to just drive that car."

Oh gosh, now you've done it! I do like the sound of Subaru Impreza's, so much that I bought one!

Suddenly £150-ish with GT2002 and Halo sounds like something we could slip in a weekly shopping bill!

regards,
Rob.

tiz good but not as good as gt3.
i also wish the music was better , can you use your own off HDD?

Well i played Sega GT the other day and i was pleasantly surprised, i wasn't expecting it to be THAT good! IMO the graphx are better than GT3, esp the gorgeous (some may say over the top) reflections.
Also the AI in GT3 was very yawnsome!

The thing that makes GT3 look better are its cool replays, with all those nifty camera angles and camera effects.

Overall? If you are longing for a GT clone for the Xbox, then this is easily GT3' equal.

Personally I don't think its GT3's equal but its a solid racer for the Xbox. As for GT3's A.I... Ever tried the endurance races against F1 cars? Certainly not easy... Plus you can always turn on the handicap if you lag too far behind or find yourself in the lead to get a more intense race. I never have the handicap on though, all of the aids are turned off as default just like in GPL, F355 etc etc.

If you haven't done enough in the GT mode then pop into Arcade mode and put the difficulty setting on hard... I believe there is another mode up that will turn off all the handicaps but I can't confirm this. Either way I'm sure you'll find the race a bit closer then.

At the risk of being called a PS2 fanboy (still dont know quite what that means) i am reading these posts with some hilarity.

The Xbox (fanboys?) keep going on about how great it is etc etc. fantastic specs, technical superiority etc etc.

Well the Xbox has been out for a year and this game SEGA GT2002 is still being touted as a GT3 beater!! GT3 IS NEARLY 2 YEARS OLD!!and its still just supposed to be a BEATER!! which it clearly is not!!

In fact the general consensus is that it isnt bad but its not as good as GT3 gameplaywise or graphically!!this on a 2 year old machine

Xbox if the hype is to be believed should be absolutely
TRASHING the PS2 by now, SEGA GT has been in development for some time , they had the development kits and the so called easy interface (direct x ) and this is the best they could come up with on a machine with 125 million polygons per second, pixel this , shaders that, blah blah blah.on a machine that has been out for a year is a game that comes a little bit close to a 2 year old one on an aging machine!!

where are the incredible groundbreaking photorealistic graphics that were promised? The superb control and handling that Xbox games should have?

Thats what i expected from Xbox a console that totally blows PS2 away by a mile, but it clearly does not and cannot.Thats how they sold it as being so far ahead everything else would be obsolete
Thats why I wont buy it !!
Fanboy does not come into it I expected a very enhanced experience from Xbox it clearly doesnt deliver it!!

Errrr have you actually seen the graphics? I personally think they are stunning. In fact some cars and backgrounds look so good that I do actually come to a standstill just to look at the detail.

Bought copy of Sega GT2002 the other day. Its a good game but not as good as GT3 on PS2. To me GT3 is the best driving game I've played and was the main reason I nearly bought a PS2, (that and GTA3). However I bought an XBOX, hoping that a 'GT3' would be made for it. Sega GT is close, but can't help feeling it should have been better or at least as good as GT3. The car 'damage' meter is a nice touch, each time you hit another car or wall it causes damage which is then deducted from your winnings, making you think twice about when and where to overtake, rather than just bouncing off another car mid corner, ala GT3.
The car dynamics are good, they handle as I would expect them to and change according to what modifications you make or due to wear, although again I feel that GT3 does this better. GT3 also I think has a better selection of cars and a lot more tracks. Overall its the closest thing to GT3 on the XBOX, its good, highly playabe, and if you haven't played GT3 then you'll think its superb.

[ post deleted by admin. You made your point already - the rest if flame bait].

Maybe if Polyphony were allowed to develop for the Xbox then we'd see a GT killer, failing that Atari are working on one at the moment, and from what I saw of it (footage on that crap games channel on Sky Tv) it was looking very, very good indeed.

Ok topic back on track ........ GT2002, I want it, I want it now, but I'll have to wait a litte first. :(, ah' well can't have everything straight away I suppose. :)

[Antagonistic comments deleted by admin. No you CAN'T say whatever you want on this forum - there are rules to prevent libel and antagonistic behaviour]

pps>I hope Liverpool is going to get picked up for using *** to get around the swear filter by a moderator as I was recently.
you may have noticed that i have not sworn once in my posts

[No - you haven't sworn but the tone of your post breaks forum rules more than the odd mild swear word. Your post was aggressive and these forums are not the place for that kind of behaviour]

[Insults deleted. Insult forum members and you will be booted off these forums]

[Insults deleted. Insult forum members and you will be booted off these forums]

can a moderator please deal with these insulting and agressive forum members?

[Warnings given - but since you are the worst offender you'd better get your own act in order]

Come on guys.

I started this thread because I'm only interested in sega GT2002, not any discussion on the theoretical advantages of particular consoles.

I had the chance to play GT2002 in-store. I could only choose an original R5 Turbo or a Subaru STI. I couldn't help myself choose the STI for 3 single lap races!

The graphics are very good. They include the drivers in-cars during the replays, but the replay camera movements are not as real-life.

The handling seemed to want to understeer and power oversteer was only just available out of the corner with a 315bhp mild-tuned scooby.

Mind you, I'm sure a real scoob would understeer if chucked in to a tight corner at 100mph!

I did get the hang of modulating the breaks and, if off the brakes when starting to turn, the understeer was controlled. I think the handling would be rewarding after a few hours play.

I loved the look of the dials and guages on-screen and the wastegate sounded nice between each gear.

After 3 races (finally finished second to an NSX) my 3-month old daughter decided I had played it enough!

cheers,
Rob.

Spacecat,

I think that you need to lay the blame for the X-Box's lack of graphical "amazingness" squarely at the door of lazy developers, you only have to look at titles such as "Halo", "Dead Or Alive 3" and "Splinter Cell" (two of which were launch titles) to see what the X-Box is (and can be) capable of. IMO developers (of mainly multi-format titles) focus on the format which will give them the most sales. We all know that the PS2 is the market leader and it is here that the developer concentrates on maxing out it's (now limited) graphical abilites, it then adds on some of the more advanced graphical touches that are quick and easy to do on the other more advanced concoles but dosn't go any further with them (even if they are capable of much more) because of the cost of development to do so. It's a real shame that a lot of developers pander to nothing but the all mighty dollar by doing this, it does nothing but give them a bad profesional reputation in my book.

Getting back on topic a bit more, sorry Rob... I thought that the demo I played of Sega GT was very good indeed, the graphics had a more "brash" effect to them than the more sublime GT3. And the handling, while better than the Dreamcast version didn't feel as good as GT3 to me. Overall, I prefer GT3 (mainly for it's style of handling) but it is a close run thing and I'll admit that it was the demo version of Sega GT that I was playing and not the completed one... and my opinion could well change after a good long play at the completed version to get used to the gameplay.

Spacecat & Liverpool:
If you want to have a private little flamewar that diverts from the subject of the thread could you please take it to PMs and not bore the rest of us with it.

Quick reminder to everyone:
The quickest way to bring a moderator's attention to something is to use the 'Report this post to moderator' link wich is at the bottom of every post. Thankyou.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom