Sega Announces Virtua Fighter 5 For Xbox 360

cyberheater

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What a shocker...

SEGA ANNOUNCES VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 FOR XBOX 360

Premiere Fighting Game Franchise Makes First Appearance on Microsoft’s Next Generation Videogame Console

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (December 21, 2006) – SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that the highly anticipated arcade fighting game, Virtua Fighter™ 5, will make its way onto the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system. Virtua Fighter™ 5 is scheduled for release on Xbox 360™ in North America and in Europe during late summer 2007. The game will also be available for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system on February 20th, 2007 in North America and will be available in Europe simultaneously with the system’s launch in March 2007.

“Those people lucky enough to have already played Virtua Fighter™ 5 will know that it’s laid the foundations to become the clear benchmark for fighting games on all next generation consoles”, said Matt Woodley, Creative Director, SEGA Publishing Europe Ltd. “Bringing Virtua Fighter™ 5 to the Xbox 360™ offers us a platform with power to handle the astonishing visuals, the complex and varied fighting styles of all the customisable characters and will undoubtedly put Virtua Fighter™ 5 into the hands of a gaming audience craving for a highly polished and credible fighting game.”

Virtua Fighter™ 5 features beautifully detailed stages from around the world where players face off in fast-moving martial arts battles against one of 17 characters. Two lively new characters join the elite group of fighters, adding two new unique fighting styles for players to try and master. With more skill and strategy than ever before, players are also given the opportunity to learn and employ the new “Offensive Move” technique to take down their opponents from different angles, adding a new dimension to the game and something for both new and old fans to master. Virtua Fighter™ 5 also includes the ability to customise characters by selecting from four base costumes and a wide range of unlockable accessories and earnable items. As players win more tournaments they will not only earn costumes and accessories, but also prizes and in-game money that will allow them to buy items from the in-game shop.

“The Virtua Fighter™ series from SEGA has one of the most prestigious histories in video games,” said Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. “It’s a franchise that has grown an army of loyal fans both in arcades and on consoles worldwide, and is consistently rated extremely high by the media. Fighting game fans have been hungry for Virtua Fighter™ 5 and we can now proudly deliver this game with SEGA to Xbox 360 gamers around the world.”

Developed by the highly renowned Tokyo based development team, AM R&D Development No.2, Virtua Fighter™ 5 for the Xbox 360™ will be available across Europe and North America during late summer 2007.

had to happen, not enough hardware units to reap the returns in time spent to develop said game "just" for the PS3, all the better for me as now i can play VF5 on my 360

I wonder if that means that VF5 on 360 is a 'one off' and VF6 will be exclsuive to SONY again?

You've got to be realistic, why would sega make vf5 (or vt3, or vf6) a ps3 exclusive at all, they're a 3rd party business trying to make cash, and there's more cash going dual platform than one, simple as that. Fair enough 1st party games, and 3rd parties who have a huge share owned by sony (square I believe) or MS will still have their exclusives, but the day of each console having a hoard of exclusive titles are long gone.

Surely a good thing, as it gives every gamer a chance to play great games no matter what platform they are on, surely only a complete fanboy of one of the consoles would argue against that.

Sorry people but here's hoping MGS follows suit. The longer till a MUST HAVE exclusive, the longer I have to save for a PS3. Even better is the chance of price cutting :clap:

The 360 version won't hurt Sony in Japan. In fact, I'll be surprised to see this sell well in Japan.

VF5 cabs are a dime-a-dozen over there.

I prefer DOA4 over VF5 personally. I like the shiny depthlessness of it all! :D

Not surprised to see this happen in hindsight, Sega seemed to make a bit of a home on the old XB with stuff like Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue 2 being exclusively on there.

Of course, FFXIII is still the massive one for me, plus seeing that immense GT5 footage yesterday.

I DID hear that the 360 might finally get bundled with an integrated HD-DVD. That could be a system seller for me. Can't stand the idea of a seperate box trailing out of the main console. Even with this news, the PS3 is still my #1 target.

Of course, FFXIII is still the massive one for me, plus seeing that immense GT5 footage yesterday.

I DID hear that the 360 might finally get bundled with an integrated HD-DVD. That could be a system seller for me. Can't stand the idea of a seperate box trailing out of the main console. Even with this news, the PS3 is still my #1 target.

You won't see FFXIII or GT5 for at least a year to 18 months.

Do you mean GTHD footage? It's a bit tough to get excited over a demo (GTHD) TBH.

The difficulty I have is that feature for feature I can't get excited about PS3. I'm normally the first to preorder but features I am used to and use all the time are either missing or broken. No upscaling of DVDs. No persistent music in the background/custom soundtracks. No streaming music/pictures/videos from a PC. No unified friends list. No multitasking whatsoever (you can't even listen to music during downloads). No cross-game voice chat. No cross-game invites. No messaging whilst in a game. No in-game options at all (just return to XMB or whatever). No webpage interface a la xbox.com where you can see what your friends are doing, pick up messages, etc. The list goes on and on.

Fair enough some of the above may be fixed by Sony but WTF? Sony had the perfect template (360) and lots of time to improve upon it.

And don't get me started on the games. It's a highly subjective area, of course, but I can play Crackdown, Lost Planet, Forza 2, Bioshock, Too Human, Blue Dragon, Sensible Soccer(!), etc before a decent PS3 game hits the shelves (VF5 is the only exception I can think of... Maybe Motorstorm but let's be honest, it's a basic dirt racer).

Can someone give me a reason to get excited about PS3? :lease:

(Sorry for going off topic.)

True, a demo, but I can't see it being much more of a revolution gameplay wise than any other of the other GTs. Its the graphical aspect that is being the wow factor. And yep, I'll have to wait, but I waited until GT3 before getting a PS2 and that was a fair amount of time after launch. What I AM thinking of though is using the backwards compatibility and sticking FFXII on instead. It seems like a bit of a bonus that its taking this shameful amount of time to surface. I just hope its good, anything to take the bitter taste of FFX2 away....

As I say, I can wait. I can't afford to buy all the consoles that are out because I am saving up for a setup worthy of playing things on. By the time I get my money together I would expect some games of note to surface. Just like the PSP & PS2 owners before, I see a dissapointment of launch lineup. 360 was the same until Oblivion got released.

I would personally wait until the 360 has the HD-DVD integrated before I would get that, and I'm sure Halo 3 can wait that extra bit of time! I'm not a platform monogamist either, I'll happily admit that my most caned game towards the end of my last gen console gaming days was the awesome online of Halo 2.

So probably don't get excited yet, wait until the good stuff settles in. The PS2 was hardly excitement material. What did we have? Fantavision as the premier title and a demo of MGS2? Awful stuff really when you think of it.

has anyone got a link about the intergrated 360 as last thing i heard was microsoft bluntly saying it will never happen? (off topic i know)

has anyone got a link about the intergrated 360 as last thing i heard was microsoft bluntly saying it will never happen? (off topic i know)
There's no link saying it will happen, but I don't recall them saying it won't happen. The only thing they've been consistent in saying is there won't be any games on HD DVD.

It's all swings and roundabouts. VF5 goes to the 360, Splinter Cell DA goes to the PS3 for the Euro launch. www.computerandvideogames.com
It's all good to me.

The 360 version won't hurt Sony in Japan. In fact, I'll be surprised to see this sell well in Japan.

VF5 cabs are a dime-a-dozen over there.

No announcement of VF5 on 360 has been made for Japan, it is apparently still exclusive over there.

It's all swings and roundabouts. VF5 goes to the 360, Splinter Cell DA goes to the PS3 for the Euro launch. www.computerandvideogames.com
It's all good to me.

hardly the same, a few extra multiplayer maps and skins along with Sixaxis support hardly makes a whole new exclusive game, whos's to say that the maps won't be available to download anyway

I still don't see what the fuss is all about. VF5 on the 360 isn't getting anything exclusive that the PS3 version isn't, is it? And I certainly do not think Splinter Cell DS is a "new" exclusive game for the PS3. I'm merely pointing out that 3rd party developers seem more interested in making their games multi-platform, possibly at Sony's loss, possibly not.

I'd be more excited if it were to feature online play. A while back Sega said that VF would never have online play as it changes the timing of the game too much. Without online I won't be buying it even though I love the Virtua Fighter games. There's only so many times I can beat up the mrs or the CPU untill boredom sets in.

DOA4 is useless online. I think fighting games are too high tempo and the lag you get can completely ruin the experience, even if its just a millisecond.

DOA4 is useless online. I think fighting games are too high tempo and the lag you get can completely ruin the experience, even if its just a millisecond.

Agreed, pings are not low enough for online fighting games. VF is one of those games you want to practice at home and then show off your skills in the arcades.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom