1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seen the new Squeezebox 3

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rdhir, Oct 25, 2005.

1. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Just got the email - bit annoyed as I haven't had the 2 long. Read the email 'The new form is beautiful, combining brushed aluminum, solid steel, and highly
    polished surfaces.'
    Looked at the site, and I don't think it looks that great after all, si I'm happy still. Downloaded the new server, so I'll give that a try.

3. eeek

eeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I can see me buying a few of those when they arrive. It will be nice to replace the tempamental mp101's we are currently using.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you had a few of these throughout the house, can you set them to play the same streama the same time - party mode ?

Richie.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    yes I believe so....

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Excellent ! Looks like at least one of these is going on my christmas list !

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Yes you can. They can all play individual tracks, or you can sync some/all for party mode, or simply for when you're walking between rooms. I've got 5 of them and they are fantastic.

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One last question, If I have 2 of these and an HTPC running MCE, can I sync the 2 'boxes and MCE or is that asking too much ?

Richie.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    That would be asking too much I think - the squeezeboxes are streamed data over ethernet, and you want to sync with your PCs soundcard, using foobar or something? If anything is possible, you may find it on slim devices forum. Just get the extra squeezebox for the room you were thinking of.

10. eeek

eeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Softsqueeze works on a pc and looks to the slimserver software to be just another squeezebox.

Hence it should work but as I've not tried it on an MCE box I'm not going to commit myself.

11. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Richjthorpe, there would be a way to do that, if you install softsqueeze (squeezebox emulator) on the HTPC that can then synchronise with the squeezebox's, although as it is a software version, it can slip by a couple of seconds.

Andrew

12. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    :eek: I'll get my coat

13. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I tried using softsqueeze on my MCE machine and it didn't really happen........kept losing sync etc.....plus I think it played havoc with MCE (since it's a delicate wee soul...)

D.

14. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Squeezeboxs in sync are a little dubious. What you really want is one of these:

www.sonos.com

They are awesome - and excellent value for money! I have 3 ZPs and a ZC on order!

15. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If softsqueeze doesn't work, you could try pointing something like winamp to http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3 (I think that is what it is called)

Not sure if that will be synchronised though, never tried it myself.

The hardware squeezebox's synchronise fine and someone on the squeezebox forum has synchronised 42 of them without problems. Its only when the software player comes in that synchronisation becomes a little more tricky.

Andrew

16. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I like it, One of these goes onto my christmas list!

17. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Where did you get that info from? Have you got squeezeboxes and failed to sync them? I've had no trouble syncronising mine.

Not being a fan boy here, I call products as I see them. I'm sure you'll like what you get, but I don't think it has a lot to offer. The Sonos is quite different to the squeezebox.

Firstly I take issue with their opening statement on their products page:
    "Sonos is the first and only digital music system that lets you play all your digital music, all over your house—and control it all from the palm of your hand."
    Completely false information. There are many systems that let you do this. The squeezebox is just one of the other options, and it was available a long way before Sonos.

Also, the Sonos cannot match the quality of it's competitors. With the Sonos system, you get an all in one source/amplifier, with 50W per channel. You have no choice on how it sounds (user preference), and the quality will be very limited. With competitors products, you have a digital or analogue out. The final quality is up to you - you can have a top of the range DAC, amp and speakers if you like, or save mone if it's in a less importand room (eg old equipment fort the bathroom).

They also don't appear to be great value. Taking a simple system with 2 rooms, the Sonos introductory offer would be $1199 + $399 for a second controller (if you live alone, this wouldn't be necessary and the system could have more appeal, but I would prefer not to have to search the house for where I left the 1 controller I had). Further reading on their site shows that "The first ZonePlayer you install must connect to your home network using a standard Ethernet cable" which is not a limitation of competitor systems.
    2 squeezebox 2s (1 wireless for comparison) would cost $179 + $249.
    That leaves $1170 to buy 2 amps that equal the Sonos in built 50W amps - you'd get better amps and a lot of change.

The Sonos controller does look cool, and would be a nice gadget - cool for a flat perhaps, if you're not an audiophile. But if you want several systems, the lack/expense of a controller for each room would be a pain.

18. eeek

eeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think he's trying to justify the £1500 or so he's spent on sonos players. I've never had a problem syncing the two I have although I've never tried to do that and run softsqueeze at the same time (and it is softsqueeze that the syncing comments related to not the squeezeboxes themselves).