1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seen the light

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by converted billy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. converted billy

converted billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found your forum AFTER buying a techwood plasma :nono:

i tried every bit of advice i could find re settings.contrast etc
    but finally admitted defeat a went a bought a panny 42pa20
    and wow the difference is as ive read on this forum, luckily i found the ex display in comet, yes i know i was taking a risk, but if it lasts the 12 month warrentry i suspect it will be ok, anyway there will be something else about by then.

i wanted the plasma for the bedroom as i spend more time there than the living room, so the techwood is now in there, and its an ok (ish) telly for the limited use it will get, anyway it has an extended warrentry so who knows what will happen to it :oops:

even after reading the forum and peoples opinions re the pannys, i didnt think there would be THAT much difference, how wrong can i be, i should have known better as i have a panny dmr, and until we got sky+ had a panasonic video, even the surround sytem was panny, i just thought the techwood would be ok :nono:

i watch law and order and c.s.i. a lot and for some reason the dark backgrounds and the shadows on the faces in those programmes were the worst? the panny has cured all that,

so thanks for all the advice :clap:

and for any new owners PLEASE read all advice first

2. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can identify with this entirely. I bought a Goodmans GTV42P2 from Makro which is exactly the same unit as the Techwood but with a different badge. LG panel and media box apparently. I wrongly figured that while there surely must be differences between cheap and pricey panels, the difference would probably not be noticible by a non-videophile like me. :oops:

Had issues with the picture quality from day one, some scenes looked great, particularly any bright scene but throw in any dark or dim indoor scenes and I was looking at a messy blob of murky pixels... loses all detail :eek: Ugly. Anyway, Goodmans eventually sent an engineer out and he took one look at it and explained why there was nothing he could do (it's all down to how the pixels are switched on and off, and this panel simply had a poor switching circuit.....in the panel, so not fixable). So back to Makro it went for a refund. Fortunately AV-Sales had just dropped the price of the PWD6 to 1850, so I got one of these with a component board and JS RGB2VGA.

What a difference. You wouldn't believe you were looking at the same technology. Talk about being blown away.

So... anyone thinking of buying one of those enticing cheap Plasmas (whatever brand), just don't, go to AV Sales and buy the PWD6, for the ~£2/300 more you are getting a display that will compare and exceed the CRT you're probably replacing.

El Cheapo plasmas will not compare, and unless you buy it from an understanding retailer, you're going to feel nigh on 2 grands worth of buyers remorse for a long long time :suicide:

Unlike the last guy, I had discovered these forums and should have bought the Panny in the first place, I knew it was what I really wanted!

Mods: maybe it would be a good idea to make this thread sticky with the title "El Cheapo Plasma's....Learn from our mistakes". I know I could have done with some case studies before buying the first one.

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    i have the panny viera and i get virtually no pixelation of picture,just a strange shimmer type effect,i am trying to cure this.