1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seeking to buy a TV, armed with little understanding in the HDTV game, please read :)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by serial45, May 20, 2005.

1. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi guys, new here, and Just have a few questions i'm hoping you guys can help me with.

Basically I've decicated a fair chunk of my spare time these past few days researching into facts about the HDTV game,

Basically Since XBOX 360 specs ,and PS3, I want a TV set that will be able to handle higher resolutions than my POS 32inch 16:9 CRT.

I have read bits about progressive scan etc, but there so many terms and i'm entirely overwhelmed.

I have decided to go either with a LCD or Plasma.

I have my eye on this LCD : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=200204

My questsions are :

1) the xbox 360 has been slated to handle :

High-Definition Game Support
    • All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    • Standard-definition and high-definition video output supported

Will the LCD TV be able to display things in 720p / 1080i? or does the television strictly have to specifiy that it supports 1080i to be able to display in that resolution.
    The way I have read it is that the terms refer to resolutions.

2) I also have a good pro-line CRT monitor that supports 2048*1536 in 85hz, it's a mitsubishi diamondplus tube, and would there be any way for me to run an xbox 360 or PS3 through this to display the higher resolutions?

3) My second question is with the PS3 will i Need a tv with HDMI inputs to be able to properly display HDMI, or can i just get a TV set with a DV-I input? will the xbox 360 have a DV-I output or will it be HDMI / scart?

4) can the higher resoltions be displayed through scart? or is the higher resoltions limited to the digital output of HDMI / DV-I etc?

5) I have a budget of roughly £1500, I want a good all round set that will suit good needs for PS3 / Xbox 360. Would it be worth hanging around for some of the HD CRTs to come around given my limited budget...plus I've always prefered CRT due to the glistening good refresh rates in super high resolutions.

I have more questions to collate, but they are the main ones.

Thanks for any help guys.
    I am confused, I haven't just jumped on here with little effort. I think I need to read a book on this! lol

2. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    if your after a hidef set i would wait at least 6months cause in the next 6 months all the manufac will be bringing there new sets out then it will give you a bit more time to look into it :thumbsup:

3. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree with Kourosh.

If you want HD TV specifically for X360/PS2 then wait till X360 is here first. There's plenty of time for improvement/price drops for HD TV. Maybe enough time for true 1080p HD TVs to be 'affordable'.

4. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    samsung sp50 is pretty future proof and an amazing screen for gaming.

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SP50 only has a resolution of 1280x720 which is the bare minimum to be classed as HD Ready.

The nextgen consoles will all support games running at up to a resolution of 1920x1080. 360 lines is a lot of detail to lose.

6. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jonny

Yes, I agree that 360 lines is a lot to lose but how many affordable 1080p TVs do you know of? Affordable in below £3k (AJ would be looking at £1.5k max for a TV to be considered affordable, I think).

Remember that HD consoles are not here yet nor are HD broadcasts. I have an RD50 but still can not get much HD material other than downloads from the web and a few HD titles which need to be played via PC. I am holding out for BR.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Think of it as losing more than 55% of the pixels. :devil:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I have a RD65 and I will upgrade in a few years time when 1080 sets are more common. :)

9. kentlad

kentlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So am I right in thinking if you had a 1024 x 768 panel now, when the next gen games are here that support 1080i/p, your screen will just down-scale / convert the picture?

I would imagine there will be a setting in the dashboard (or whatever it will be called), where you specify what modes etc your TV supports, so maybe above point not relevant....

However is there much visable difference between a screen running 720 against 1080?

10. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then in 6 months time, the same argument will apply and so on........just like pc hardware, everything is due to be superceded as soon as you buy anything. If you keep waiting, then nothing will ever get bought.

11. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think 1080p will be here for a while. The last time the numbers of scan lines changed was the 1960s.

Since HD isn't really here yet (except for WMV-HD), why launch HD-TVs now???

Every manufacturer will probably launch a 1080p model in September/October ready for the xmas push.

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Yes, whatever the screen resolution is, whether it is 768, 720, 576 or even 480 lines, it will always scale down a higher resolution input for display.

However, not all screens will be able to accept and process 1080i input at all - even some supposedly hi-def 50" plasmas won't accept it, so check your owners manual very carefully first.

Yes, there is definitely, numerically and subjectively, a great deal deal of difference between 720 and 1080 (which has 2.25 times as many pixels). But you can be sure that 1080 screens will be significantly more expensive - compare 768 vs 480 screens now!

And yes, recording formats come and go, but 1080 will be around for a long. long time. Those sort of wholesale changes don't happen often. I can hardly wait.

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Please could you list which 50" plasmas don't accept a 1080i signal so that I can avoid them when I upgrade. My present MXE can accept 1080p so I'm very surprised that there are 50" plasmas that won't accept 1080i.

Steve

14. soomrox

soomrox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the Dell W2600 TV.

15. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's resolution is only 1280x768 (720p) so it would have to scale the image to show 1080i/1080p.