Seeking Sub advice (compromise content)

Cribbster

Having finally reached agreement about adding a decent Sub to my AV setup my initial thoughts had been to go with either the BK XXLS400 or the SVS 2000. After careful consideration between the two I was erring on the side of the BK. All good. Until I looked at the dimensions and realised, with horror, that it is going to be too big for our space. I am now facing the compromise conundrum of having to downsize the Sub a bit. The primary options now would appear to be the XLS 200 or the SVS 1000. We have a Yamaha RX S600 and use it primarily for TV and movies. Music is generally left to the hi fi.

My main asks for advice / recommendations are:

1. What am I losing by going for the smaller units
2. Comments / experiences about these 2 options - the good, the bad and the ugly (if there is any)
3. Am I missing another awesome option that I haven't considered yet?

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 598831

What is the max size you can accommodate, budget, choice of finish if applicable?

Cribbster

Need to complete looking around at the aesthetics of the room but I think it is likely to be around 300 (h) x 300 (w) x 400 (d). Pretty much the specifications of the XLS200, funnily enough.

If I was going for the XLS200 then it would be the light oak finish. Budget is going to be around the £300-£400 range, approx.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 598831

I think the 200 is the best option with the size factor. What would you loose over the xxls400? Output (volume) lower response (depth in frequency).

What speakers are you using? and what volume do you listen at?

stewjoy

Hi Cribbster,
I have the xls 200 and find it very effective for base, mind you I haven't heard any svs subs so can't comment.

Cribbster

Thank you Gents. Currently we are only operating the AV as a 2.0 system with a pair of Tannoy Mercury S speakers as the L and R. General listening volumes are relatively low.

Much measuring and looking at options yesterday and it's looking as though even the XLS 200 will struggle to fit in (we don't have a large lounge, unfortunately). Quite probably going to have to look at other options for now that come in a bit smaller than the XLS 200.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 598831

Have a look at the new rel subs. Some of them are tiny. Or even the cambridge audio minx

Cribbster

Thanks. Big compromise all round really as you can only properly get the lower frequencies out of the larger drivers which then necessitates a larger casing. Looking for the least amount of compromise on depth and quality. Anyway, some useful additional options to consider - thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom