Seeking speaker placement advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dividedsky319, Feb 16, 2014.

1. dividedsky319

dividedsky319
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're having a house built and the best location for the TV is over the fireplace.

I'm having trouble figuring out how I can put L/R/C speakers in the room... example below (the mantle will be different and will have a deeper flat surface on top, and the ceiling light won't be there... and the window and cabinet will be swapped)

They will be running a conduit so I can run all the wiring to the media cabinet.

[​IMG]

Floorplan:

[​IMG]

The counter in front of the sink is a half wall, so the TV will be visible from the kitchen.

I'd like to use the speakers for music as well as movies (in fact it will probably be used more for music than for listing to movies loudly) ...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Unfortunately I think my options are limited...

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Do you know what size TV and what size speakers ?
    I guess once you centre the TV above the mantle, there won't be much room for L&R .
    If it were me with the speakers I have , i would probably stick them in the corners, towing in slightly .

Have you considered a soundbar ?

3. dividedsky319

dividedsky319
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is 50" ... the width of the TV is a little over 4 feet, so you're right, it will take up the majority of the space above the mantle.

I wouldn't rule out a sound bar, but I have zero experience with them...

How close to the TV should left and right speakers be? Perhaps I could put bookshelf speakers on the top shelf above the media cabinet and somehow mounted on the wall on the other side of the window... or is that too spread out?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    'and the best location for the TV is over the fireplace.' - that may be true in terms of Aesthetics but less so in terms of comfort and image quality when seated in front of the TV.

How about a pair of full range floor-standing speakers flanking the fireplace?

Joe

5. dividedsky319

dividedsky319
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I look at the floorplan again, it's really the ONLY place the TV can go unless I put it on a TV stand. Our floorplan has a "feature window" so there's windows all along the wall at the top of the floorplan. Honestly I don't mind having it above the fireplace, I previously had my TV mounted fairly high (eye level when standing) and I didn't mind it.

I had hoped to be able to use floor standing speakers, I'm just worried about the door to the media cabinet... I suppose I'll just have to wait and see once the house is actually built...

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Someone ought to brief architects about these new-fangled things called TV’s which folk have ‘begun’ to incorporate into their living spaces! :)

You might want to run conduit/loudspeaker cable to a couple of positions to give you the flexibility of Floor or Wall mounting.

Joe