Seeking some advice for US holiday next year

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by cooey, Aug 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Hi guys

OK, so the wife and I are planning a trip August next year to go back to the US.

At the minute we are looking to go back to Vegas for 5 nights and finishing the trip with 5 nights in NY. We are looking to go somewhere in the middle for 6/7 nights. We had planned go to visit friends in Philadelphia however by the time the holiday comes around they would've had a new born baby who will only be a a couple of months old so don't think it's really fair to stay with them whilst they are settling into life with a newborn.

We've already visited Orlando (going back in 35 days!!!) San Fran and LA before so are looking for somewhere a little different. We were toying with the idea of grabbing a car in Vegas and driving to Yosemite and staying around there? Or potentially Canada, up to Toronto?

We like to get out and about and explore too.

Any advice would be greatly welcome to give us places to consider :)

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Nashville TN. If you like music.
    Or Memphis TN.

Of the two, Nashville is a way, way, way nicer town, but if you are resolutely blues and/or Elvis rather than country.........

3. phatbear

phatbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    seeing as you mentioned Yosemite I thought i would pitch in.

In june we did a road trip through California, San Francisco, Yosemite, Monterey, Cambria, Los Angeles, San Diego and both mine and my other half's favourite destination was Yosemite.

Its truly stunning every turn is like a picture post card and truly breath taking and we would go back there in a heart beat however this comes at a cost.

Most accommodation gets booked up a year in advance as the options are limited also because of this most hotels etc are expensive and once you are there you don't have a lot of choice for evenings out etc, if thats your thing however most evenings we were so pooped from hiking all day that we just watched tv and eat sandwiches.

4. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,485
    We did a similar route but added LV in there. We stayed the night in a yurt just to the west of Yosemite. We loved that holiday but if I were to recommend that kind of scenery I would say Yellowstone and S Dakota. IMO.

5. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Just planning something very similiar LA up to San Francsico then to Vegas. Will have flights and accommodations sorted next week. Look like we are staying at Yosemite Valley Lodge.

6. phatbear

phatbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i dont disagree about yellowstone but thats one heck of a schlep from vegas, another 300miles compared to yosemite.

7. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,485
    Well, the OP mentioned as far as Toronto so I thought it to be fair game. ;)

8. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for the posts guys.

Speaking with the wife she has said she would love to go to Washington DC........so I guess we are going to Washington then!

9. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,616
    I was searching hols today looking to book a trip for November and Washington cropped up as it has cheap flights from Stansted (5 mins down the road from me). It’s not a destination I’ve thought about before though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  10. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,485
    We once did Phili and DC, 4 days in each. Need longer in DC. So much to see.

11. rustybin

rustybin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,637
    Easy to get the train to NYC from Washington. Could easily do there and back in a day.

12. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    That would be our plan to get the train from Washington to NYC for our final leg of the holiday

13. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good long road trip would be " LA to Pie Town " , going out and back by different routes.

What's there to do in Pie Town, NM ? - There's pie !

" Where you folks heading ? "
    .......... " Oh we're going to Pie Town "

But look it up - it would make a great trip. Obviously, the highlight would be Pie Town itself, but I'm sure you'd find things to do along the way and back.

It doesn't have to be LA though. Denver would work well too - " Denver to Pie Town ".

14. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But LA to Pie Town has more of a ring to it.

15. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    We did NYC and Washington a couple of years back.
    Some pictures here...
    New York and Washington, 17th August - 1st September 2016

We used an open jaw flight into NYC and out of DC. We used Amtrak from NYC to DC we bought some slightly fancy tickets for a "business class only" train. There were dire warnings about the max size and weight of luggage but the train was empty and the vast overhead bins swallowed our full size cases without trouble. The train was fast, comfy and half empty.
    It got us from the Penn Station in Manhattan to central DC. It was not particularly cheap but saved us the transit to a NYC airport and from DC airport (which is significant as they haven't finished their rail link). Use a Supershuttle or similar taxi line.

If you're flying into DC then I strongly recommend the Air and Space Museum out at Dulles.
    We went on the last day before we flew out, amazing place. Discovery Space Shuttle, Enola Gay as well as loads of other famous planes and space things.
    Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

DC itself has some slightly dangerous areas but you're very safe in the tourist areas.
    We stayed at an Air BnB in Dupont Circle which was good for decent restaurants and the metro.
    Georgetown is pretty and old by American terms.
    The National Mall has a string of superb galleries and museums which are almost all free.
    We spent several days walking the Mall visiting the National Gallery, Natural History Museum, Air and Space etc. as well as looking at the Capitol and the White House.
    It's also worth going back at night to see the Lincoln memorial etc. lit up.
    We also visited Arlington for the JFK memorial and The Smithsonian zoo which is very good too.

Food and accommodation were expensive but the museums etc. were free or reasonably priced.
    When we were in NYC all the attractions were paid entry and it added up to quite a lot.
    Worth looking at the Citypass if you're planning on doing a lot of tourist attractions in NYC.

We loved DC and I would go back as we didn't see everything!