Seeking replacement for old media drive

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by BelfastGonzo, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BelfastGonzo

BelfastGonzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've filled my iOmega Screenplay Pro HD with stuff I want to keep and am on the look-out for a replacement, and since I'm out of touch with what's hot and what's not, I'd like some advice please!

I used the Screenplay mainly to store downloaded movies which I watch via the HDMI out on one TV and stream via WiFi on another (I had to buy a dongle separately, grrr). I was never very impressed with its performance, and the interface was really, really bad, but it was functional and (usually) worked (it was a present). It was a bit temperamental, and now I just want something that is reliable, with a nice GUI. iOmega let themselves down with my current product's user interface - it's beyond rubbish. Which is a shame, as it seemed to have so much potential.

The Screenplay also wasn't DNLA compliant, which seems pretty standard these days, right? Sometimes it cut out while streaming movies to my Sony BDP-S370, and buffering wasn't great, with too much stop-starting.

While the old drive was almost exclusively used to store movies and TV shows, I'd probably store much more music and photos on a new one, since my laptops are filling up too. Obviously I'd like to stream music around the house.

YouTube and torrenting would be nice, but not essential. I really don't know what other apps or services are offered.

Oh, and a remote control is a must.

As you can tell, I'm not an expert. I'm not sure where to start since so much has changed in the few years I started using my old drive, so any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup: