1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking Integrated Stereo Amp, 2 x 120W minimum

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by LupoLoopy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. LupoLoopy

LupoLoopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas on a good amp for listening to my CD's through. Needs to have somewhere between 120w-150w per channel. Also, as I'd like it to be fairly transparant (i.e not too warm or too bright sounding). Most importantly, I'd like it to be less than £500. If its styling & Sound qualities fits in with my Denon 3805 or My Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Deck, this would be a massive bonus.
    Cheers Ears,
    LL

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Roksan Kandy MkIII immediately springs to mind - good looking, musical, well built and rated at 120W!

RRP around £550

Also, the Cyrus 6 is around £450 now. Not my cup of tea (too clinical and cold sounding for my tastes), but supposedly very good.

DT

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Why 120-150 watts

4. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to ask that question too.

5. LupoLoopy

LupoLoopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer Londondecca & Keiths' Q...

If im going to use it in a secondary capacity to run a set of rear channels off my AV setup, I dont want it swamping my Denon's output (puts out 120w/channel). I dont really want to have to do masses of messing about setting the gain down for the zone 2 outputs if I can afford it. Plus, I dont really want the reverse situation either, where my rear speakers are swamped by the rest of the av setup, because I didnt buy a stereo amp man enough for the job.

The Roksan Amp did draw my eye when I was looking through some old issues of What Hi Fi, did seem like a good candidate, has anyone had any direct experience of this amp? Is it significantly better than the amps im going to mention below? £100 better?

You see I was also looking at some of the NAD Amp's, specifically the C370 & C372, are these OK or bok? The reviews are positive but any opinions on here?

Thanks guys :D

6. LupoLoopy

LupoLoopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! Sorry DT, you obviously have experience of the Roksan... Whoops! In your opinion, do you reckon it would it pair well with Quad 11L/12L Stand mount speakers?

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    LupoLoopy,

I've only demo'ed the Kandy for around an hour, with some Tannoy Mercury floorstanders (using R2's at home, so they were the closest match). I can't really comment on how they go with the Quads.

Given the short amount of time spent with the amp, all I can say, is that nothing I heard gave me cause for concern. Wide soundstage, plenty of bass (bit "dry" iirc) and good with voices. Maybe a little "forward" for some tastes though.

The amp is very powerful - earsplitting at 9 o'clock BTW. The tannoys were 6ohm 88db.

DT

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the nads are not what you'd call transparent!
    the only thing to be careful of is the power ratings you are relying on will not add up!
    The nad has the possibility of reaching it's 150watt power rating through both channels. However you're denon will not run at 120 watts per channel with all channels running, it'll work out alot less!

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Power ratings have nothing to do with gain levels either. Also bear in mind that your Denon 3805 is actually nearer 36 watts with all channels driven.

10. LupoLoopy

LupoLoopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, never realised that. Thats quite interesting. So I might be better off running something a bit lower wattage then. Thats something else to look at then, any model idea's come immediately to mind?