Seeking feedback for new "system"

sxa001

Novice Member
First time poster, and I hope I am posting in the right place. I will be hopefully purchasing a house in the next couple of months and planning out my dream listening/reading corner. I will also preference that I don't have the most amazing ear for Hi-Fi but I enjoy decent sounding music including my modest vinyl collection.

Today though, I primarily am using Tidal, my apartment is pretty small and there isn't room to keep my records out of the closet. I do have my turntable (AT-LP120) hooked to a Denon AVR-888 in my living room but it rarely gets used. My speakers are Epos Tower Speaks (I believe Epic 5's) I bought the speakers and receiver used from a friend about 7 years ago, a decent set-up for watching movings in the small living room. Plan would be to keep the Denon and speakers in the living room at the new house, at least for now.

For the new system I am looking at a streamer amp where I can also hook up my turntable. I am looking at getting bookshelf speakers but also plan to use headphones. I would say the headphones will get used more so as to not disturb my wife but I do listen with speakers at times. Open to any suggestions on headphones or speakers, though initially may just go with the Sony MDR7506's for the headphones and may use my existing Boston Acoustic bookshelf speakers but open to suggestions.

I am really trying to stay under $1000 for this set-up, I have done some initial research looking at the Denon PMA-150H. Open to hear about other streamers that people like that have Tidal support.

The alternative would be to just get something simple like the Cambridge Audio AXA35 and then I can just use my iPad on one of the inputs and/or invest in a dedicated streamer device. It would give me my dedicated Phono input for the turntable and a few other inputs to add devices later. Since this is for my listening corner it isn't important that I can control the music from my phone.

Appreciate the insights from the pros here.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You will have a hard time beating this for the money -

Network Streaming, Full Bass Management, Room-EQ, DAC, Phono In, Sub-Out, DAB/DAB+, 100w/ch, etc...

Though keep in mind you can add Network Streaming to any Amp for a reasonable amount of money. On the low end from £130 to £250, in the middle £500, on the higher end about £800. Though you can spend many thousand if you want to.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If the Yamaha RN803 cramps your budget too much, you can move one model down. Though you lose a few features, it is still a good Network Streaming Receiver -

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

sxa001

Novice Member
Thank you Steve! Read the review on here for the RN803 so it absolutely going on my list of solutions, seems to give me everything I need for another $750 new or $600 used.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Thank you Steve! Read the review on here for the RN803 so it absolutely going on my list of solutions, seems to give me everything I need for another $750 new or $600 used.
You are not in the UK/EU?

In the USA, yes, the Amp is $750. The similar RN602 is about $600.

All of the products suggested with the exception of the Yamaha WXAD-10, are available in the USA.

If you want to add Network Streaming to any other non-network amps, this is a pretty reasonable way to do it-

AudioAdvisor.com
MusicDirect.com
Crutchfield.com
BestBuy.com
and a few others.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the links! I am located in Texas. Does it show I am in the UK somewhere? Maybe I keyed something wrong on my profile but not seeing it.
This is a forum based in the UK, but we get people from everywhere in the world here.

If you want to consult in a USA Forum, here is a link -

I'm also in that forum under the same username - BlueWizard.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom