Seeking better dialogue clarity on Denon/B&W MT-30 system

Dialogue

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m after a bit of advice on how I might upgrade the clarity of dialogue on my system, which is a B&W MT-30 speaker set (5x M-1 (Gen 1) + PV1) paired with a Denon X3500H av amp. While I’m happy enough with the sound for TV and movies, I’m noticing more dialogue clarity on the Sonos Play Bar I have in my lounge. As I get older, this matters!

I’m wondering if I can find a solution for up to £500, e.g. replace the centre M-1 with a better centre speaker with a compatible tone to the other M-1 speakers. I’d prefer something relatively neat, not too tall (<20cm?), and preferably to too wide either (<40cm?). It would sit on a glass top unit below my wall mounted TV.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I’m after a bit of advice on how I might upgrade the clarity of dialogue on my system, which is a B&W MT-30 speaker set (5x M-1 (Gen 1) + PV1) paired with a Denon X3500H av amp. While I’m happy enough with the sound for TV and movies, I’m noticing more dialogue clarity on the Sonos Play Bar I have in my lounge. As I get older, this matters!

I’m wondering if I can find a solution for up to £500, e.g. replace the centre M-1 with a better centre speaker with a compatible tone to the other M-1 speakers. I’d prefer something relatively neat, not too tall (<20cm?), and preferably to too wide either (<40cm?). It would sit on a glass top unit below my wall mounted TV.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
How about this one

Thanks Dion 6. That looks great, and might be exactly what I need. Have you had experience of using it in an M-1 speaker based system, or did you suggest it because it might be a good tone match?

Have you tried altering the position of the centre as well as increasing the crossover? If you have the centre on a shelf top then bring it as far forward as you can, certainly so that it sits proud of the lip of the shelf.

Have you tried altering the position of the centre as well as increasing the crossover? If you have the centre on a shelf top then bring it as far forward as you can, certainly so that it sits proud of the lip of the shelf.
Thanks gibbsy. No, I haven’t tried either of these, so I will. Should I increase the crossover frequency just for this centre channel to see if it has an effect, or all the M-1s?

Just for the centre. It can sometimes help with cleaning up the dialogue. It's worth a try and you don't have to re-run Audyssey just adjust on the manual set up.

Thanks Dion 6. That looks great, and might be exactly what I need. Have you had experience of using it in an M-1 speaker based system, or did you suggest it because it might be a good tone match?
I just suggested because I thought it was a good match at good price I had some monitor audio mass gen 1 speakers and I changed the centre speaker for the same reason to a radius 200 centre for better vocals and it made a big difference

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom