Seeking Atmos 5.1.4 Placement Advice/Critiques - Proposed Diagrams Attached

DarkhawkX

Novice Member
Hello all,

I'm in the process of converting from 5.1 to 5.1.4 and have been trying to determine the best compromise for an imperfect room to incorporate the height speakers. Since the heights will be in-ceiling, the placement will be semi-permenant. Diagram 1 is the entire placement map and Diagram 2 is the measurement map I'm giving the installers. Any thoughts/advice on my setup would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't have been able to get this far without all the great advice in other posts.

Speakers/Receiver (Please excuse the ecclectic timbre matching. I'm in the process of transitioning to full Definitive.)
  • Front Left/Right - Definitive Technology BP 7004
  • Center - Klipsch RC-62
  • Surround Left/Right - Klipsch Synergy B-3
  • Ceiling - Definitive Technology DI6.5R
  • Receiver - Yamaha RX-V685 (will need to upgrade | only 5.1.2 capable)
Notes
  • Ear Height - 40 inches
  • Ceiling Height - 120 inches (10 ft)
  • Surround Height - 42 inches (slightly higher to prevent blocking)
  • FL/FR Angle - 26 degrees (slight toe-in)
  • SL/SL Angle - 120 degrees (wall mounted)
  • FCL/FCR Angle - 45 degrees (ear height to ceiling)
  • RCL/RCR Angle - 31 degrees (ear height to ceiling | 9 inches from back wall)
  • Overhead side-to-side separation - 96 inches (0.56 width of overall layout - 171 inches)
All thoughts/assistance/criticism extremely welcome. It's been a semi-stressful process mapping and measuring everything out to have the fewest compromises, and I really want to get it right.

My sincerest thanks in advance. =)

Speaker Placement Map 2.jpg

Speaker Placement Measurements 2.jpg

Singh

Looks good to me. Pretty close to the official dolby guidelines here (which I assume you followed) 5.1.4 Overhead Speaker Setup

Only observation I have is maybe rear overheads are too close to the rear wall (or maybe 9 inches is enough) - will need to defer to someone more experienced as to if this is an actual issue, eg wall reflections

DarkConvict

I've gone through this process and my ceiling was full of water pipes, gas pipes, electric cables and joists ran left to right making placement extremely difficult. Is this an issue for you? I've also got a door near the front left speaker so it's moved in a little.

I went with monitor audio c265-idc speakers in ceiling. This allow you to angle the speaker internally towards the MLP. If there is a habitable room above, you'll need speaker hoods to maintain the fire barrier the ceiling provides.

I see you mention 45 degree on the ceiling speakers. In the Dolby spec 45 degree is ideal but that's the vertical angle from sofa to ceiling, not sofa to side walls.

Ive seen a few people with the ceiling speakers near the rear wall so I guess you'll be ok. Mine are close about 3in away but my AVR doesn't support 4 speakers, I'm waiting for new models or a price drop. If using for Atmos , they probably won't give out much bass so unlikely to get boundary reflections like you get with subwoofers.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom