Seeking Assistance Understanding Speaker Crossover --- Please Help

breezytm

Novice Member
Hello,

First time poster, so please take it easy on my ignorance. I have been reading a lot and I understand some stuff but do not understand some stuff. I am lowering my pride at this point and ask for some help.

I have a Yamaha RX-A780. My speakers and their specification with manual links are listed below. I am trying to understand what crossover frequency I should set them. I do understand the rule of thumb regarding setting every speakers to Small and 80Hz. Unfortunately I am a computer guy and also I am self diagnosed with OCD. I can not help but to have everything perfect. If it is not it bugs the heck out of me :) . My receiver does not allow me to set the Front speakers with odd numbers. It must be even, e.g. 20, 40, 60. Lastly the one thing I am most confused about in the front speakers and the subwoofer. The manual says to set the HIGH CUT to Max which is 140HZ. The Sub HIGH CUT ranges from 40 - 140Hz. And volume to the middle. Volume ranges from 0 - 10. Middle I am guessing is 5.

Running YPAO, these are my results. I don't know much I am sure they are wrong.
FL | FR = Large (Receiver does not seem to set a frequency range when speaker set to large) (+1.0db | 0.5 db)
C = 120Hz (-4.0db)
SL\SR = 80Hz (0.5 db | 0.0db)
Subwoofer = Receiver does not seem to set a frequency range (-10.0db)

All assistance are welcome. Thank you.

Yamaha NS-F310BL 2-Way Bass-Reflex Floor standing Speaker

Technical Specifications

⦁ Type: 2-way bass-reflex floor standing speakers
⦁ Woofers: Dual 3-1/8" aluminum cone
⦁ Tweeter: 1-1/8" soft dome
⦁ Magnetic Shielding: no
⦁ Frequency Response: 50 Hz - 45 kHz
⦁ Nominal Input Power: 40W
⦁ Maximum Input Power: 120W
⦁ Sensitivity: 87 dB
⦁ Impedance: 6 ohms
⦁ Dimensions (WxHxD): 9-5/16" x 41-5/16" x 9-5/16"
⦁ Weight: 17.6 lbs
⦁ Manual: pdf link

Yamaha NS-C310BL 2-Way Bass-Reflex Center Speaker

Technical Specifications

⦁ Type: 2-way acoustic suspension center speaker
⦁ Woofers: Quad 2-1/2" aluminum cone
Tweeter: 1-1/8" soft dome
⦁ Frequency Response: 90 Hz - 45 kHz
⦁ Sensitivity: 90 dB
⦁ Dimensions (WxHxD): 17-5/16" x 3-11/16" x 4-15/16"
⦁ Weight: 6.4 lbs

Yamaha NS-B310BL Full-Range Acoustic Suspension Bookshelf Speaker

Technical Specifications

⦁ Type: Full-range acoustic suspension bookshelf speakers
⦁ Woofers: Dual 3-1/8" aluminum cone
⦁ Frequency Response: 80 Hz - 35 kHz
⦁ Sensitivity: 87 dB
⦁ Dimensions (WxHxD): 4-3/16" x 7-7/8" x 5"
⦁ Weight: 3.5 lbs

Yamaha YST-SW315PN 10" Powered Subwoofer

Technical Specifications

⦁ Advanced YST
⦁ QD-Bass Technology
⦁ High-Efficiency Power Amplifier
⦁ Driver: 10” Cone
⦁ Magnetic Shielding
⦁ BASS (Bass Action Selector System)
⦁ Dynamic Power: 270 W
⦁ Frequency Response: 20 – 160 Hz (-10 dB)
⦁ Dimensions (WxHxD): 13-3/4” x 16-15/16” x 15-1/16”
⦁ Weight: 41.9 lbs

D

Deleted member 39241

Hello. Crossovers are slopes, rather than dead cut-offs, so there is some room for things to not be 100% exact. The speaker specifications are how they are measured in laboratory conditions. How they perform in your room may be different. YPAO will measure where the bass rolls off for each speaker and suggest a crossover accordingly. Generally, I would trust the YPAO measurements for that purpose. It would be fine to higher the crossover, so to send more bass to the sub, but if you lower the crossover, you may be asking the speaker to reproduce bass that it is not able to do.

The front left and rights have been set to large, I would change this and run YPAO again, as although those speakers may be able to go down that low, the subwoofer will be able to reproduce those bass frequencies better, and will use it's own amplifier to do so rather than stressing the amplifier in the AVR.

Also, the subwoofer is set too loud on the sub itself, try turning it down to 3 or 4 as the trim at -10 on the AVR is too extreme. You want it at 0 ideally so you can then turn it up or down to taste.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom