1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking advice from Sagem HD-D45 owners

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Vernon, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Vernon

Vernon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

First post so be gentle with me. Been lurking for a few days trying to soak up all the information on this board, and am starting to feel a bit overwhelmed...

I have a £2-2.5K budget to build a home cinema in my 14" x 14" living room, and was originally intent on spending half on the sound and the DVD player and half on the screen. Having discovered (with your collective help) the miracle of DLP rear pro (why is this sector so completely ignored by home cinema magazines and websites?), I went over to John Lewis on Oxford St to have a look at the Sagem HD-D45.

There's something about that humongous screen that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. I'm now considering buying this screen (plus a Samsung HD950) and doing away with the amp/speakers etc, since the HD-D45 includes an integrated subwoofer and Dolby Virtual Surround.

What I want to know is, is the sound on this TV any good? I know it's not going to replace hi-fi or real surround (actually I had my heart set on a Yamaha YSP-1 for a while) but in a room this size hi-fi is probably wasted anyway. Is it good enough for home cinema? If not I may have to rethink my options. Does virtual surround work, and how big is the 'sweet spot'?

Also, is it possible to use the TV in audio-only mode (ie for playing CDs on a DVD player)?

I'd really appreciate any feedback from those of you who've got this TV already - thanks in advance.

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The side speakers and "sub" are OK for watching TV, but I wouldn't recommend them for home cinema, their just not meaty enough. It's funny you should mention the YSP-1, I'm seriously considering one myself. With the speakers fitted, it's just too wide for my living room, hence the YSP-1 and I can remove the speakers.

I don't think the Virtual Dolby is much good, but then I only really watch TV on it.

3. TheGaffer

TheGaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same from me really - the speakers and sub are fine for TV but will never compare to an external amp/speakers. And I turned the virtual dolby off as all it seemed to do was dull the sound (it certainly doesn't provide 'surround sound'). Liked the looked of the YSP-1 myself but unfortunately it wouldn't work with the shape of my room.

4. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    have you considered the Samsung 50" DLP. It is by far the Better set. Its £300 more than the sagem but you can blow that on a stand for it. The sammy comes complete with a stand, and better pic quality to boot :) Pair it with an Upscaling DVD player and your in business.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In my experience, virtual surround (by which I mean, attempts at surrounding you with sound from less than 4 or 5 speakers however it's marketed) is no substitute at all for the real thing.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  7. Vernon

Vernon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but only in John Lewis, where it's impossible to judge sound quality. They don't look as sexy in real life as in a picture, but I guess that's not really the point.

Does anyone know anywhere in the Central London area that sells DLPRP TVs (particularly the Sagem, but also the Tosh 46WM48 and Sammy SP50L7RX) and has competent staff and a demo room? Would love to see them side by side and be able also to judge the audio quality.

Jawbreaker - thanks for the Samsung recommendation. I hadn't really considered it because it was outside my price range but what you say about the stand saving money makes sense. Is this the general consensus, that the Samsung is a better set than the Sagem?

Thanks for all the advice folks, 'preciate it. I'm going to go and console my wallet - it seems upset about something.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Welcome to the forums vernon

The idea behind the yamaha speaker is for the sound to bounce off the walls and appear all aound you. Shame it wasnt in a demo room. The only place I know of to demo thses sets is in commet or currys. However I used to use Musical images alot and they were more than happy to set the demo room up for me wth a number of front projectors. This is some what different to viewing 3 rear pros. You could always phone and ask. They are based in a few places around london.

Musical Images
    173, Station Rd, Edgware, Middlesex HA8 7JX
    Tel: 020 8952 5535
    Classification:
    Home Cinema

You could always try out a seven oaks they might have a demo room with DLP rear pros in stock. :thumbsup:

9. Vernon

Vernon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the missus came home and said something along the lines of 'we're not getting a f***ing 50" screen!', so bye bye Samsung. To be honest, I'm not sure about its styling anyway - it wouldn't mesh well with the rest of the room. So it's back to the Sagem (read bad things here about Tosh's PQ), and I'll have to make do with the TV's sound until I can afford a more complete set-up, but I reckon that's better than splitting the budget between screen and sound and compromising on both.

Razor - cheers, I hadn't heard of Musical Images. Will probably be giving them a call, though I feel a bit cheeky asking them to prepare a demo room for me to then go and buy from somewhere else (ie online - anyone bought from unbeatable? their service any good?)!

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    You can haggle with them they know the score about buying online.

Just offer to buy there and then. 1 sale is better than no sale.

11. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just been to John Lewis in Oxford street, and they had both the Sagem HD-D45 and Samsung 20" next to each other on display. Sagem was running the Hi-Def material, so it wasily the best looking picture.

I also wandered down to Tottenham Court Road and took the plunge with a Yamaha YSP-1 which I got for £650. Just about to set it up.

12. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601

For me the Sagem tv is ruined by the overly frosted screen. (gave me a head ache when up close) Sounds like grounds for divorce if she wont let you have the 50"sammy :)

If you dont like the look of the sammy what about the Optoma RD50".

Just tell the missis its 45" "across" :)

13. Vernon

Vernon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, as they say! Unfortunately she's been reading up lately so that I can't pull the wool over her eyes like that... :D

Nigel - congratulations on your new toy. Where on Tottenham Ct Rd did you pick up the YSP-1 for 650 shekels? That strikes me as a hell of a bargain. Did you have to haggle to get that price? Let us know how you get on with it, ie what the sound quality and surround effect are like, and whether it's true that it's useless without a sub. Hope it turned out to be a good buy. :smashin:

Speaking of Tottenham Ct Rd, anyone know of any shops there selling RPTVs? I had a look in Gultronics etc the other day but they all seem to spurn DLPRP in favour of 'ooh look you can hang it on your wall and it'll look all pretty when you're not actually watching it'. If you can get a brand new bit of kit worth 800 for 650 (there's no pound sign on this keyboard! blimmin' yanks), then who knows what deals await the committed bargain-hunter?

14. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was Musical Vision, number 20, on the left under the covered bit. Just go upstairs and ask for Raj (he served me today, very helpful). I saw it on display and asked how much, he said £650... so I said "sold". Didn't even need to haggle!

Anyway, I've got it home, heavy when using public transport. Only managed a quick play as it was getting late and didn't want to upset the neighbours. But it's definately much better than the built in speakers, a much fuller sound. Although I have a sub, it's part of my projector setup, I don't intend to use the Sagem for DVD watching. But it definately would need one, as does any system to get the full benefit.

Didn't see many (if any) DLP sets today on T.C.R. Almost everywhere was doing plasma. John Lewis in Oxford street had the Sagem and Samsung. ASK had a 61" Pioneer on display which is quite impressive.

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes, at the Bristol show. They were using a very cleverly designed soundtrack intended to give the best impression.

And.........
    still applies.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I thought as much there was a similar system a few years ago costing over £20,000 and it needed to be proffesionally set up in the users home. This is obviously the same technology filtered down and made affordable.

If you have a small room and dont fancy having loads of wires and speaker boxes every where I suppose its a good compromise. I wonder how good the £20,000 system was? I would like to hear one in action as the lack of surround sound in my bedroom could be solved with this little unit. I dont fancy chasing walls etc for 5.1 speakers. A one box solution would be good. Saying that i am in no hurry to go and buy one just yet. :)

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do they make anywireless speakers that have decent sound ?

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  19. Vernon

Vernon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I went ahead and bought the Sagem from unbeatable.co.uk, as that was the best price (1849.94) I could find (esp. with 0% finance for 9 months + free delivery). Should arrive in the next couple of weeks :thumbsup:

Oh, and have you come across Stand And Deliver? Got a decent stand for 92.50 inc postage, which isn't bad when the (admittedly nicer) recommended stand is around 300 wherever you look. Just thought I'd share the wealth on that one.

Now all I need is for the HD950 to come out, and my life will be complete...

20. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I looked at Stand and Deliver too, ended up getting an Optimum 6503SL from Peter Tyson as they were 160 quid delivered.

21. cbridge

cbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    be careful before you buy.. I have approx 15x15" room and the HD45 is big. Bigger than I expected.. mainly as I only saw it in the flesh in comet, which is non the best place to get an overall idea of its size in situ.

although I've grown to really like this TV.. the intial huge size is strange. I could have happliy taken a 42" version (if they did one with the same features.. for the same price)

ps. the Sagem 50" seem too big to me, even in the huge comet store.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I have a RD65 (65' screen) and I dont think it is big enough. :D

23. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Large screens shrink as you use them.

Well - not actually; you just become accustomed to them.....

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Very true :D

25. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: