1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing the Picture

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RobertP, Jul 19, 2005.

1. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I think of typing this it seems a bit pretentious.. but what the h.

I don't know if it's hanging around here regularly (and not finding a subject for the comp), taking a lot more photos than I ever used to (compact digital or film) or what .... but I seem to be looking at things differently.

As an example a few days ago driving down the local main road in the heat of the day in traffic I noticed a (certainly from the back) pretty girl walking away in a very short skirt. As I looked she reached behind her and lifted her skirt and scratched her bum :D My first thought was 'what a picture that would have been' Second thought was 'nice arse' :rotfl: A very Athena moment.

I've also noticed just how good much of the film photography is on the BBC. Some of the Africa stuff of a few weeks ago.. the 'picture of Britain' with Dimbleby... and other stuff. Some of the photo compositions they use are stunning. I make no comments at home as they will just humour me and think I'm losing it :rotfl:

There is also personal taste involved as I often look at internet or magazine photos that have comments saying how good they are and see nothing worthwhile. Other times I like something and it has been hardly commented on.

So is it a sign that one day I might get past the theory/technical know how and actully produce something creative? I suppose seeing whats good in others work is a start.

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fully understand where you are coming from. Had the same experience, especially when I used to do B&W developing & printing with film years ago. You mentally put a frame around certain views & imagine the final shot.

Same thing happened when I got my first video camera & read up on how to take decent footage. 1st rules were no panning / zooming unless necessary & then average 3-5 secs per scene. You then notice how well the BBC do it

Also had a similar experience with Hi-FI, where I kept upgrading, listening for those new sounds that were lost before etc. I then got to a full hi end Linn system where I can only describe that instead of listening to just 1 track of a CD, I would suddenly listen to the whole album. CD's I used to hate became wonderful. Simply put I was experiencing music, instead of studying for certain sounds, bass, etc.

Hopefully the same will happen with photography ;)

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'm the same - since getting into photography I find myself walking around thinking what would make a good shot, and actually stopping to look at the world around me. I like it.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm always looking around me these days, i'm still very new to photography. Also thinking more and more about what i'm trying to say (if only to myself). That's not something i've thought about until very recently

Before i go out now, i've made my mind up to give myself small challenges and tasks. Right now something that i want to do is to show how inner city Manchester has two faces. The new "Urban" city centre living face, and the real inner city where i was brought up and my family and friends still live in. such a huge contrast can be found in just a square mile. Think i'll call it "a tale of two cities":laugh:

So i just want to try and tell stories with pictures, does not matter if only i get it. I'll just enjoy doing it

I'm only sorry i never got in to photography sooner

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Sorry Seany couldn't resist :)

Yeah man, Mad for it, know what I mean...let's go and nick a car....or form a pop group and bash in a few reporters :rotfl:

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    My first thought would have been 'Nice Arse' :devil:

I'm obviously not cut out for this photography lark :laugh:

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Graft a car:laugh:

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You beat me to it, that was my first thought. :rotfl:
    As for seeing thing differently I've also had the same experience.

9. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Me too - I love photography but not that much ;)

10. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    first thought "nice arse"

second thougt "whats the rack like" *checks mirrors*

third thought "god bless my photographic memory" :rotfl:

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Fourth thought "Christ, didn't see that car stopped in front of me, where the brak...........:eek: "

:laugh:

12. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    That was a funny story with a great point to it....Once you start getting into this, and I took the path through digital video as well, you start looking differently at the world around you...I now notice light that I just didn't see before and generally are much more aware of the 'beauty' around me....

BTW My car has got a wide-angle rear view camera, when waiting I always have it in reverse so I can see on the dash watch happening behind me from a low-upwards wide angle...It's great! ;-)

But to be honest, my first thought would also have been great....