Sedative/Twilight Dentistry - anyone done it?

Monty Burns

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am petrified of the dentist and, to make it worse, every time i've gone my post nasal drip goes in to overdrive causing me to constantly have to clear my throat/cough. So, it's never been very successful.

As it turns out, i've recently discovered that something called Twilight Dentistry is a thing. From what I've read you are *mostly* conscious and some-what responsive but don't remember anything. What concerns me is that I will still know what's going on and feel something.

Has anyone done it? Anyone any experience?

Thanks

Yes. I opted for IV sedation at the dentist when I was having several teeth removed at the same time. I'm glad I did as it turned out that there was an extra root to one of the molars which wasn't apparent on the x-rays and necessitated having a section of jaw bone removed to get it out.

It's a long time ago now but I remember being "aware" throughout the procedure and especially with the unexpected situation with the jaw as I can still remember the immense pressure/manipulation used in removing that section whilst they're discussing it

Like you I had a real fear of the dentist but I can honestly say that throughout the whole thing, I couldn't give a flying fudge. Absolutely highly recommended. You are aware (well I was) but you really don't care about anything. Brilliant.

Hi McVicar,

thank you very much for your response.

It's a been a while since this was posted so, i eventually "manned up" and went with the knowledge that lots of Google results back up exactly what you say. I hit google and found a dentist that offers sedation and cracked on with it.

Anyway, it turns out that I'm one seriously lucky SOB as I needed absolutely no work other than a damn good descaling.

To say the dentist was shocked (but not more than me!) that after 35 years (I'm 44) of not seeing a dentist there were zero cavities or any other issues was astonishing. I was also really surprised that they now have these x-ray thingy-bobs that rotate around your head so no more of that pointy stick poking either. All in all, it was thoroughly painless and no sedation required.

It was so painless, in fact, that I've now been back for whitening!

Should there be ANY "proper" work required in the future, I will be taking the sedated root, regardless of cost.

Now more scares for me. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom