1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SED YES? or OLED?...a LONG way off yet

Discussion in 'OLED TVs' started by I.T.M.A, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I.T.M.A

I.T.M.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 pieces of recent news that would appear to suggest that we wont be seeing nice big TV sized OLED displays at our local Comet for some years to come. :(

http://optics.org/articles/news/11/2/20?alert=1
    http://www.usdc.org/newsroom/current_releases/3_24_05_Next_Sierra_release.htm

A shame really, as Mrs ITMA has a Samsung Mobile with a small OLED screen & the pictures it produces are rather good (true blacks, exceptional contrast). I on the other hand lug around a mono screened brick. :rolleyes:

Doesn't bode well for the missus phone. Another reason for her to change it in 6 months time? ;)

The Samsung 21" OLED TV shown a few months back (the largest OLED yet) doesn't seem to be the sort of thing that is likely to be put into mass production anytime in the near future, judging by what Samsung have said in the first article.

Searching the web & various Tech based sites its clear that OLED is being hyped as the sucessor to LCD, especially by marketing people. Strangely, less is said about SED yet Toshiba have certainly displayed SED screens bigger than 21". Or is it just me?

Any links/posts on SED developments would be welcome :smashin:

BTW if a moderator thinks this thread should be posted in another forum please do the honours. THANX

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every year we hear of screens that will be 2mm thick and 10 meters wide using a 5v battery to run it for a year with 1000000 - 1 contrast blah blah blah, yeah, don't hold your breath.
    Trouble is with these technologys 'next year' never comes around. CRT has been with us for a 100 years and still it's being tweaked, lcd and plasma are now established technologys but both will still improve immensly over the years.
    If these technologys ever come to Comet, I'll be the first one to bang down the door, until then we will just have to read about them on the internet. :rolleyes:

3. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > doping with 3% carbon-60 also increased
    > the lifetime from 700 hours for the
    > undoped device to 1400 hours.

1 year = 8760 hours

2000 hours is OK for a mobile phone - but there's a way to go to reach an acceptable consumer electronics lifetime > 20,000.

4. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OLED TVs may still be at the prototype stage, but SED TVs will soon be available in Japan. Small scale production begins in August, and barring any technical disasters it will launch as a consumer product this year. However, mass production is not due to begin until 2007, and the first line of panels will be very, very expensive. Definitely a technology to watch though.;)

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - AIUI the estimated price point for the first SED sets is due to be "sub $10,000"?

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I saw an OLED screen at a show in Tokyo a couple years back. It was amazing!
    I personaly cant wait for these screens.
    They offer all the benefits and none of the weak points of LCD's and Plasmas.
    (low cost, high resolution, high contrast and brightness, thin, very thin, no burning and perfect viewing angles, low power consumption. no need for back lights.)

There is also PLED (polymer) to consider by the way!

SED will indeed come out this year and if it also has all the benefits without too many weakneses ill be getting one! They are supposed to be larger and cheaper than plasmas or LCDs.

7. I.T.M.A

I.T.M.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AML, when you say SED's are supposed to be cheaper than Plasma's or LCD's do you mean to buy from launch date? or sometime in the far/no so far future?

Or is it simply that they are cheap to produce & could therefore be in the region of the $10,000 suggested by Stephen above?

I think I read somewhere that the first SED's are likely to be no smaller than 50 or 55 inches wide!!!

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think as with any new tech, they will be expenisve at first. Specially at that size!
    Still, in theory the technology is supposed to be cheaper than that of plasmas and LCDs therefore will come down in price to be either the same as plasma/LCD only bigger, or cheaper but the same size.

Still, since this is a new format in an already well established market which is dominated by LCDs and Plasmas, they need to be more competitive and offer something the competition is not.

I feel they will in fact be the same price as the newest plasmas and LCDs but be bigger.

At the mo, the newest plasmas and LCDs retail for about 500.000 to 1.000.000 yen and are in size anything between 45 and 60. inch. (2500 to 5000 quid)
    I know these prices may seem low to u but thats cos u get royaly ripped off in the UK.
    These are average japanese prices. Since SEDs will lauch in japan first im thinking in jap prices.

9. I.T.M.A

I.T.M.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba are confident that SED will succeed. They have already made plans to phase out production of Plasma Display Panels by 2007. SED LOOKING GOOD!!!

Toshiba says that LCD will continue for small & small to medium sized display devices. OLED A LONG WAY OFF!!!

It looks like if you have the money & the wall space then SED is thing to have, THIS YEAR!!!