Security system questions for a new home

Hi all,

My entire circuit breaker box was stolen from the back of my new house. Since we just moved in, I still have not had a chance to install any security system. I have called around to get quotes from different local companies, including ADT. I got completely different quotes and suggestions. It has got me a tad bit confused.

I am asking people who are knowledgeable in this field to help me in understanding which features are useless and which features are necessary to keep my family and my home safe.

1) For instance, there are various video cameras: cheap wireless, hardwired, professional, sold at big box stores, etc.

a. When it comes to video cameras, is it worth it to get them professionally installed or DIY will suffice?

b. I got a quote for 4 hardwired professional cameras for $1500. Is it worth it?

2) There are DIY kits, like the popular Ring or SimpliSafe. Are they worth it?

c. I got a quote from a few local ADT retailers, some charge upfront fees for equipment ($500- 800), some do not, but charge more a month. In addition, they lock you in a lengthy contract.

In general, what do you guys recommend: getting video cameras and alarms, or just one or the other? And do you recommend specific brands, products, or companies?

Thank you!

Mikeyb2199

Novice Member
Hey, I've worked for 3 security companies over the last 20 years. What you want/need is all personal preference. My current company is involved more-so in the full smart home experience, as that's where most security companies are trending.

Lots of things you can look for

You always wanna sensors you doors. Windows are dependent on the house. Motion detection is a great idea to have as a second line of defense, in case someone finds a way in. However they're not always great if you have large pets. You can add glassbreak sensors to your rooms to listen to the windows. And whether you want fire and carbon monoxide protection.

As far as cameras go, I would always recommend a doorbell camera. Now a days with Amazon deliveries and whatnot, you can always keep a close eye on your stuff. Then you can see if additional outside cameras are for you. Again that's personal preference.

Mike.

Hi all,

My entire circuit breaker box was stolen from the back of my new house. Since we just moved in, I still have not had a chance to install any security system. I have called around to get quotes from different local companies, including ADT. I got completely different quotes and suggestions. It has got me a tad bit confused.

I am asking people who are knowledgeable in this field to help me in understanding which features are useless and which features are necessary to keep my family and my home safe.

1) For instance, there are various video cameras: cheap wireless, hardwired, professional, sold at big box stores, etc.

a. When it comes to video cameras, is it worth it to get them professionally installed or DIY will suffice?

b. I got a quote for 4 hardwired professional cameras for $1500. Is it worth it?

2) There are DIY kits, like the popular Ring or SimpliSafe. Are they worth it?

c. I got a quote from a few local ADT retailers, some charge upfront fees for equipment ($500- 800), some do not, but charge more a month. In addition, they lock you in a lengthy contract.

In general, what do you guys recommend: getting video cameras and alarms, or just one or the other? And do you recommend specific brands, products, or companies?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom