Security & monitoring cameras - one system to rule them all?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by OhPinchy, Jul 10, 2018.

1. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    From what I've read on here and elsewhere, Hikvision are a strong option for security CCTV cameras (though generally need to order via trade to get the best models). I'm trying to figure out if there is one holistic solution that can cover all camera needs for our newly completed build, or if I need to go for a separate system for security and one for monitoring kids. i.e. is there one system that can take 16 camera inputs, record everything (or record when triggered by motion), and provide notifications via an app and live feeds (for both security and monitoring purposes)?

We have CAT6 run to each of these locations so POE is an option, as is powering via USB for the internal cameras (I got CAT6 to USB adaptors on AliExpress for cheap).

For security (5 domes, 4 bullets):
    1. Front door dome.
    2. Front garden bullet.
    3. Side door dome.
    4. Side entrance bullet.
    5. Back door dome.
    6. Back garden bullet.
    7. Granny flat dome.
    8. Hallway bullet.
    9. Hallway dome.

For monitoring kids (6):
    1. Kids bedroom x 3.
    2. Playroom x 1
    3. Kitchen x 1
    4. Living room x 1.
    Budget is approximately £2000 GBP for everything, though I'm happy to buy what I can for that now and add later when budget allows if that's what is needed to get reasonably performing gear. So should I be looking at one system or separate and if separate is it something like Hikvision for the security cameras and something like Nest/Arlo/Circle/other for the monitoring cameras? I'm not sure with how much logic can be built into NVRs so don't know if they can be triggered to record and send notifications upon motion detection.

For context in case relevant, I have 2 x Ring Doorbells installed, have all lights controlled via Velbus, and have a Cytech Comfort alarm system with 18 PIRs installed so everywhere there's a camera, there's also a PIR which can detect motion. I'm running an oDroid box with OpenHab so should be able to forward motion detection events (e.g. if that would help get the NVR to record upon motion detection if needed).

I'm hoping there's so much video tech out there today I'm not expecting too much, but have a sense I might be, so all advice is much appreciated.

2. R-CAD

R-CAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've gone with HikVision to do a similar install to what you have outlined. I've used:

NVR - DS-7716NI-K4/16P (takes up to 4 HDD)

Bullet - DS-2CD2T55FWD-I8 and I5

Dome - DS-2CD2155FWD-IS

Inside - DS-2CD2442FWD-IW (includes 2-way audio)

There's a Choice of lens on all cameras to get the field of view correct for installation, and also a choice on power of IR for "up to" 80m night vision range. Realistically the 80m option gives a good 50m.

Motion detection via external PIR would be much more robust than using the camera motion detection which for external cameras gives a lot of false positives. The NVR can accept lots of input alarms to receive signals from external sensors.

Notifications from the NVR are easiest to setup via emails, but can be setup via output alarms. I choose to record everything, then review that recording based on the email notifications I've received.

The Hik Connect phone/tablet app is suitable for monitoring

Costs iirc are around £80 - £135 (+ VAT) per camera depending on spec and around £360 for the NVR without HDD. 3TB WD Purples are around £110 each.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  3. william149

william149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Can i ask what is your view on the indoor camera, ive just returned the Logitech Circle 2 as found the software very clunky, i was looking at the Arlo Pro2, but very costly & ideally only need the 1 camera.
    Having also just bought 3 x 4K & a NVR from the Hikvision, perhaps i have overlooked this one for indoors?
    Any advice would be welcomed.

4. R-CAD

R-CAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've got the cameras hard-wired, rather than using the Wi-fi option, and powered PoE. I've had three of them running indoors for a year without any issues, no need for any reboots, no drop-outs - so they seem fairly robust.

Picture quality is good and low light performance excellent, night vision OK and is fine in average size rooms, but limited for a big room if you have the need to see clear night images with more than a 6m range. (could always add a IR lamp in a dark corner if needed)

Not sure what your expectations are on the software, but you already have a HikVision NVR and cameras so you know what to expect. As the HikVision products are pitched at the enterprise security market rather than consumer monitoring - I wonder if their software could also be considered "clunky".

There'd be no harm in using a 3rd party app to view/monitor the camera though if you don't like HikConnect or the web-based offering from HikVision. [If you are powering the camera via the integrated PoE on the NVR then it would require a minor change to the cameras set-up (within the NVR) to get it visible within you local network so that 3rd party apps can link to the stream]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. william149

william149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Many thanks for your reply, clearly you are quite coued up in this are, sadly i'm not & the only reason i'm attempting my own install is due to being either let down or having what seem sky high quotes to wire in 3 or 4 outdoor cameras..
    I'm still in the process of routing all the cabling round my house, which i'm hoping to get finished today (weather permitting) i guess that's when the fun starts of trying to configure the cameras etc..
    I may have a stab at one of their indoor cameras, after all it's primarily just to monitor our 3 dogs when we go out, which isn't very often anyway.
    You mention 3rd party apps to view the camera - i didn't even know / think about that, i just assumed i would have to use the Hikvision software..
    I may have a problem hard wiring it, so are they fairly stable just with wifi?
    Thanks again

6. R-CAD

R-CAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    My knowledge only extends to a couple of installations so not that broad unfortunately. I don't have specific experience of the camera on a Wi-Fi connection, but assume it will be like anything else on Wi-Fi and will drop-out occasionally, requiring you to cycle the power to bring the connection back. Ensuring the camera has a static IP, rather than DHCP would hopefully reduce the pain, but hard-wired has got to be best.

The configuration of the cameras is pretty simple when connected to the HikVision NVR (truly plug-and-play if PoE connected). And once up and running there should be no issue viewing them with either the HikVision apps or 3rd party apps.

The caveat being PoE connected cameras require a configuration change (on the NVR) to be visible on your local network, for 3rd party apps to connect to and a port forwarding change on your router if you wish to access them remotely via a 3rd party app. Local or remote access via Hik Connect shouldn't require either of those steps.

7. william149

william149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Ok, many thanks for taking the time to reply
    I'll have a go at one i think & see what its like
    One last question, what is the best iPhone App for Hikvision, i've downloaded the IVMS-4200 for my Mac in readyness..

8. R-CAD

R-CAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I'm android based and use the Hik Connect app. Hopefully that's also available on iphones. I've tried most of the Hik Vision apps and it seems to me that Hik Connect has become their main app and gets updated more often.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. Atavus

Atavus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    iVMS 4500 will do on IOS. All the video streams are visible without changes on the NVR.

10. william149

william149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hoping someone can give me some pointers, finally got round to completing the cabling today, ran a cable tester on the ethernet connectors that i put on & all fine.
    However, after plugging my camera i get an error saying it's N/A
    When i plug the ethernet cable in to the camera i can see the red IR light for a few seconds so i assume that it's being powered on?
    However, if i take the camera down & connect it directly to the NVR with another ethernet cable (a purchased cable) the camera is detected & works fine?
    Obviously my thoughts is i made a hash of putting the ends on the cable, but like i said when i connect a tester to both ends it comes back ok?
    Any help gratefully received.

11. william149

william149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    A bit of an update
    Just decided to lump my 21" iMac outside to test the cable with that, disabled wifi & then connected the ethernet cable outside & the other end directly to my router.
    It connected to the internet fine, so i'm at a complete loss unless the run it too long to power the camera on, but i think it's only around 30m away?

12. sxpert

sxpert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ubiquiti's offering is probably the best