Security camera to NAS advice

Jason56d

Prominent Member
Recently a few of my neighbours cars have been broken into or had mild vandalism. We are all on street parked, very few houses have driveways.

I’d like to install some sort of single camera to record outside my house (assume motion detection) from first floor height, with recordings going direct to my basic Synology NAS. The distance from the NAS to camera can be less than 2m.

My Synology is only a single bay unit with a 2TB drive (about 1TB currently available) at the moment, so can get a larger HDD if needed?

So can someone please recommend a half decent camera (up to £150ish?) that would do a decent job day or night.

Smart features would be nice, but not necessary.

Thanks

Jason56d

Prominent Member
Check up, but I am sure you cannot film/record into a public street.

Ah right, didn’t know that as one other neighbour has a camera installed?

Will look into it thanks. Shame the council didn’t install cameras when they decided to turn the street lights off from midnight! Oh wait! Leave the lights on!

ellchester

Established Member

Jason56d

Prominent Member
This might help with the law and guidance around this Guidance on the use of domestic CCTV

Thanks I read that earlier. It doesn't actually say you can't anywhere? Unless I am missing something?

Just points out your are responsible for the data & protection of said data. Informing neighbours etc.

But it does say you are allowed to here:

You may be considering using a CCTV system as a necessary means to protect your property from acts of crime and anti-social behaviour. A domestic CCTV system needs to be operated in a responsible way that respects the privacy of others.

Think if I do decide that I do want something, then will call the ICO ( The Information Commissioner’s Office ) to make sure I have everything in order.

It's basically from the edge of my front garden to my car anyway. Won't impose on any neighbours properties at all. I could put a sign in the window next to the camera (my office) no problem saying they are on CCTV. Plus my Mrs would tell the other women on their WhatsApp group anyway!

D

Deleted member 24354

Basically if it is facing the street it needs to be there to protect a specific piece of property, such as a van or car parked outside your house. You can't just have a general street view as it is invasive of others privacy. You cant use the argument that you cant always park outside your house so you need wider coverage. It really has got to be to cover a specific spot on the road where you would 'normally' park. Additionally it must not be looking into (or be able to view) other people's windows or property on the opposite side of the road.
You need to capture the minimum footage possible to protect your property in a public space.

sjw

Prominent Member
Back to the original question though - what about the camera recommendation? :)
Can many such cameras just be pointed to a share on a NAS - or would it use the Surveillance Station on the Synology NAS?
Cloud storage even (for free?)?

D

Deleted member 24354

It needs to use surveillance station. Any camera with an accessible RTSP stream should be fine.

Jason56d

Prominent Member
RTSP stream? In plain English for us luddites please. Lol!

D

Deleted member 24354

Sorry, RTSP is how IP cameras talk to the outside world. Some manufacturers make their RTSP stream available to view and others do not. Surveillance Station needs the RTSP stream to be able to record and display what your cameras are seeing.

Jason56d

Prominent Member
Sorry, RTSP is how IP cameras talk to the outside world. Some manufacturers make their RTSP stream available to view and others do not. Surveillance Station needs the RTSP stream to be able to record and display what your cameras are seeing.
Any recommendations then? I honestly don’t have a clue what I’m looking for.

Would like something that connects directly to my NAS and use Surveillance Station?

spile

Established Member
I would recommend a wired Poe camera. Take a look at

The latest video from AVForums

The BEST TV of 2023? LG G3 MLA OLED Evo TV Review - COMPARED to Samsung S95C & QN95C
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom